Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burned a CD this morning and was playing it in the X. I noticed a lot of hissing and popping from the CD so I thought it was a bad burn. So I pulled it out and put a different normal one in. Same thing, though it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't listen to it. After an hour of play I ejected the CD and it was really really hot. I put my hand on the HU and I could feel a ton of heat coming out of the CD slot. I grabbed my cell phone out of the tray above the HU and it had become warm as well as the heat had heated up the tray. It's the stock single CD unit. Has anyone experienced this and is this normal? I'm not kidding when I say that CD was hot. Somethings got to be wrong...

·
on line
134 Posts
Blown lights (previous post) and an overheating HU? I'd have that back to the dealer ASAP. Might want to carry a fire extinguisher with you JIC. Sounds like you might have a major electrical issue on your hands.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
usmc xterra said:
That is the trail lunch heated tray option, the harder the music, the hotter that tray gets. Play Country and it will cool a drink in a snap! JK
You would think that it would blow a fuse, somewhere. Keep us up on this one. MC
HAHA, you could almost sell someone on that option MC.
:laughing3:

·
on line
134 Posts
And to think I passed on the kitchenette option when I bought my X.

·
on line
844 Posts
were I to venture a guess, the main reason any CD player would get hot if it were otherwise functioning normally would be a problem with the internal amplifier. the laser playing the cd generates little to no heat and that's one of the few mechanical functions of the unit. if it's cold in your area and the cd player gets hot (aka it isn't a climate issue) pop in some biggie and drive right to the stealership, they'll switch it out for you real quick.

·
on line
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the volume cranked up to about 20-24 for about an hour during a long drive. I assume that would cause more heat? Definitely going to get it checked out though.

·
on line
134 Posts
Keep us posted. I'd hate to hear about your dash catching fire as your rolling down the hwy :angryfire:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ok Dragonplayboy, I'd do it but this is your dept.
Do a Mod for this,
Take out the cover tray, Install a one way panel, mount a fan out of a computer (12V) hook it to a temp sensor out of a old computer adjust to spec, so it kicks on when it gets too hot.
Turn the stereo on high, watch the fan kick in! Bonus, also works a a center defogger when music is up loud.
One way panel keeps foreign debris out.
Take pics.
JK, MC :)

·
on line
1,891 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Ok Dragonplayboy, I'd do it but this is your dept.
Do a Mod for this,
Take out the cover tray, Install a one way panel, mount a fan out of a computer (12V) hook it to a temp sensor out of a old computer adjust to spec, so it kicks on when it gets too hot.
Turn the stereo on high, watch the fan kick in! Bonus, also works a a center defogger when music is up loud.
One way panel keeps foreign debris out.
Take pics.
JK, MC :)
For the colder regions this sounds like a fun one to do, I would be very temped to do it if NC were to stay pretty cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi--

Didn't see a solution here, so thought I'd try again. I took a trip in my 2006, and when I ejected a CD that had been playing for about an hour, it was almost too hot to touch. The dashboard above and immediately below were also way too hot. It's the standard-issue CD player....is this rare, or has anybody else had the experience?

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts