Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but didn't find anything. Basically, my cd player is getting so hot (internally) that cd's are skipping. When I take the cd's out they are rediculously hot.
It's only gotten hot enough that they skip on longer (1hr +) trips. But even after my ride to work the cds are pretty warm, but I would expect that.
I asked some technitions about it and none of them had heard of this being a problem but figured I'd check here seeing as the collection of xterra knowledge on this site is probably better than any Nissan techs alone.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you would have to add a computer fan to the bottom of the radio to suck and blow the air towards the floor of the truck.... if you go that route please take some photos and do a how to all of us have the heat problem

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Tried to search but didn't find anything. Basically, my cd player is getting so hot (internally) that cd's are skipping. When I take the cd's out they are rediculously hot.
It's only gotten hot enough that they skip on longer (1hr +) trips. But even after my ride to work the cds are pretty warm, but I would expect that.
I asked some technitions about it and none of them had heard of this being a problem but figured I'd check here seeing as the collection of xterra knowledge on this site is probably better than any Nissan techs alone.
I never had that heat problem, however I do know from when I replaced the radio with an aftermarket HU that Nissan left no room behind the radio for air, the HU backs straight up to a metal bar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I honestly had the same problem with mine and after I put my kenwood excelon I had no problems but I did notice that there is no room for the HU to breathe, but if you do decide to replace your current one don't forget the dash kit :laughing6:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Which HU have you got? The single disk has the amplifier built into the head unit so if you are listening to music loud, especially if you have changed out the speakers, you may be over driving the amplifiers and the thermal compound that transfer heat from the FETs to the heat sinks can break down over time.

If you've got the amplifier under the seat, then your issue is something else and you probably just need to replace the unit. Check ebay or post in the wanted section here, you can usually score them around or under $100.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The one in my 2005 Titan I had would always get hot to the touch, but it never skipped. I always found it odd that it got that hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts