Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Well then...
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
11/09/2017 - I think I'm done:

I've painted the rack and hopefully won't be having to take it back down again. I have to do some testing in the parking garages my wife has to drive into for work, however, I am considering this one a done-so.

I've been thinking about this project since before I purchased my X. I love the satisfaction of getting a job done myself, even if it isn't completely perfect. Beyond that, my budget is limited unless I end up coming into a lot of money somehow... still working on that one.

Spotty warnings:

-My welding is spotty
-My welder is nice, but I don't know what I'm doing hardly
-One thing is spottier than my welds, my measurements

My requirements for a rack:

-Needs to be sturdy
-I end up driving in low-clearance garages, I need to be able to clear them
-I would like to be able to hold two of the cheap Costco gas cans in a designated framing
-Must be somewhat easy to remove

Threads where credit is due in one or more ways:
@Surf and Snow 's Drop-in Roof Rack: Surf and Snow's Version with Integrated Lock Box

@jr_ss 's My First Shot at a Roof Basket...

@JOSX2 's How-to: JOSX2's No-weld DIY Roof Rack

**DISCLAIMER: this was a weekend project for me and still a work in progress. Although I encourage folks to get their tools out and try something, please use common sense: be careful and have fun**

What is cost me:

**I lost some of the receipts, so it's mostly a ballpark estimate**

50 feet of 1" by .095 square tubing from my local supplier: $60
Welding Magnets, Saw, Saw blades: $90
Paint, primer, prepping materials: $60
Raingler net: $148
Elastic tie-downs: $8

Grand total: $366**

**I counted the price of the net, because after all unless you have something to tie it all down with, what's the point right?

Now for the fun stuff:

I had a long weekend off so I started by hitting Harbor Freight for a 14" Cut off Saw and some basic supplies. We also hit the local steel supplier and an auto parts store for a muffler pipe and clamps. Then, the fun began.

10/31/2017 - The last two days have been a lot of test fitting, cutting and cleaning up my dirty welds. I did some pre-running of where some of the basic camping gear goes and finished fabbing the spot where the jerry cans will go. You can't see very well in the photos but I've welded 1/8" thick tabs for tie down spots. I still need to get the materials for the extended floor as well as paint, primer and prepping materials.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Nice work so far! One note: you may want to add a few more rungs to each of your floor sections. Those large gaps will be problematic for things like firewood, gas cans, water jugs etc. As they will want to fall through to to metal roof unless located just right. That's one reason I went with 4 "ladder" sections instead of 3 and went with about 8" spacing between rungs.

Mine:

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Looking good so far. Expanded metal is another option for the flooring. Along with preventing things from falling through it provides a lot of tie down locations.

Mine in the early stages.

As long as you test fit you're good, but for some reason I'm thinking the rear stock rack legs are a bit narrower than anywhere else but I can't remember for sure.

·
Well then...
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work so far! One note: you may want to add a few more rungs to each of your floor sections. Those large gaps will be problematic for things like firewood, gas cans, water jugs etc. As they will want to fall through to to metal roof unless located just right. That's one reason I went with 4 "ladder" sections instead of 3 and went with about 8" spacing between rungs.
Thanks for the advice, yours was probably my biggest inspiration. I believe I'll be welding a floor in, don't want to scratch up the roof.

Looking good so far. Expanded metal is another option for the flooring. Along with preventing things from falling through it provides a lot of tie down locations.

As long as you test fit you're good, but for some reason I'm thinking the rear stock rack legs are a bit narrower than anywhere else but I can't remember for sure.
That is exactly what I'm thinking, yours looks sweet!

Suddenly I'm inspired to build my drop in rack for my 1st gen. mmmmmm ;)
Do it! If you have a welder and grinder you're way ahead of the ball game. I think I've spent about $90 so far in materials + the saw I purchased. I have all of the receipts, I'll be adding a budget section to the original post once I'm done.

·
Well then...
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After much debate I opted to not do the extended floor. If need be I can add it later. Ran out and grabbed paint and primer today. I have to say that I liked the color of the primer better than the paint I bought. I'm not sure how to go about it, I can't find anything remotely close to this flat blued out gray primer on any shelf within a reasonable drive to my house. I'm thinking about just applying clear over it and hoping it holds? For the record: it's the rustoleum sandable primer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Wilson06offroad
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing