Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't necessarily a how to because to be honest, I wasn't sure how it would go, so no step by step pics. It's mainly to show you a GREAT antenna mount location that will get you stunning reception without cutting a hole in your roof.

With an upcoming road trip that will happen in less than 3 weeks and the likelihood of my front Shrock bumper not getting here on time, I felt it necessary to look for other mounting options. I was going to mount it on one of the bumper hoops like I did with my 2 previous trucks.

I ordered this kit with hopes of mounting it in the hood channel. http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-mk174-hood-groove-mini-kit-p-311.html

There is simply not enough room in the channel to make the bracket fit right. After scratching my head for a few minutes, VIOLA!

Right in the center of the rear hatch... sorry, I don't have the antenna screwed on at the moment... just visualize a 3 foot firestik II.

The only thing that is even slightly hard is that you have to detach one side of the hatch hinge so you can get in there to get the bracket mounted. Just remove the two nuts and leave the strut attached and pull the hatch off the hinge. It will be much easier if you have a helper that can just hold the hatch up to give you enough room to drill.

I ran the antenna wire (you can see it below the washer tube) through the washer tube grommet and through the drivers side of the rear headliner, down through the trim of the drivers side rear passenger fender well, down to the floor, up to the front, and under the carpet underneath the drivers feet. You just have to pull the rubber stripping off to run the wire as well as the drivers side kick plates... EASY!

And the Cobra 75WXST

I did add a heavy spring to the base of the antenna so it doesn't get trashed in the trees.

As far as reception goes.....no.. not the reception that you hope has an open bar so you can get your return on the $100 you just spent on a wedding gift...

WOW! I only have 5 channels that are 1.3-1.4, another 5 that are 1.2, and the rest are 1.0-1.1 on the SWR.

·
on line
264 Posts
i did almost the same thing and mounted it to the back of the cargo carrier thing on the roof rack. i have a 4' firestik antenna and it works good but it think i am going to change it to a hinge mount to fold down for low trails

·
on line
564 Posts
Will your truck fit in the garage with the antenna mounted? Where did you mount the junction/power box for the CB?

Rob

·
on line
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
robnfl said:
Will your truck fit in the garage with the antenna mounted? Where did you mount the junction/power box for the CB?

Rob
It won't fit but it takes all of 5 seconds to screw it into the mount for wheeling trips. Just toss the antenna in the back other times incase of an emergency.

I haven't totally secured the power box yet but it's tucked on the right side of the drivers feet where the carpet ends. I plan to slap piece of adhesive double sided tape on there to keep it from moving around.

·
on line
564 Posts
Ok...thanks for the info dude!

Rob

·
on line
264 Posts
i put my cb in the center console and mounted an external speaker up under the dash on the drivers side and just run the mike out the opening where the latch is

·
on line
2,540 Posts
How much room do you have between the bottom of the antenna mount and the roof? I ask because I had a friend help me run the cable already so all I need is a place to mount the antenna. If there is enough room, I can for go ordering that kit and having to re-run the cable.

·
on line
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hattrik21 said:
How much room do you have between the bottom of the antenna mount and the roof? I ask because I had a friend help me run the cable already so all I need is a place to mount the antenna. If there is enough room, I can for go ordering that kit and having to re-run the cable.
It's an inch.

·
on line
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muzikman said:
Is that a Steelmark logo (like the Pittsburgh Steelers) logo on that mount?
Yes, it says Firestik stainless steel. It is a sticker though and have taken it off since the pics were taken.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
Mosi said:
hattrik21 said:
It's an inch.
That won't be enough room. Thanks for checking that out for me. Now I have to decide if I want to re-run the cable or not.

·
on line
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hattrik21 said:
Mosi said:
hattrik21 said:
It's an inch.
That won't be enough room. Thanks for checking that out for me. Now I have to decide if I want to re-run the cable or not.
It took me 10 minutes for the whole antenna run.

·
on line
331 Posts
Did mine just like Mosi. It went well did not take to long. Now I am looking for an external speaker that will fit the blank where my 4wd knob should be.

·
on line
65 Posts
anybody else notice that the shrock rear bumper antenna mount is too big? All antenna mount holes are 1/2 in, except for the shrock that is...

·
on line
331 Posts
I have a loud whisle coming from my antenna. I know it is the antenna because if I remove it the whislte goes away. I am hoping that adding a spring will make it go away. Any other suggestions?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts