Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you CB guys, I really hope you can help me. I just bought a firestick two, ss spring, ss mirror mount, and firestick 18' cable. I mounted my new antenna on the back of my Yakima Rack last night, grounded the mount to my back door and grounded my Yakima rack. I ran my cable through the back hatch and to my cb which is in the center console. I hooked up my SWR meter and it was off the scale. All today I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with it and can't. I checked my cable using a voltage meter and even replaced it with a different one, same problem. I tested every single aspect of the mount system and the antenna and everything is as it should be. I tried my old antenna which was a magnetic mount, to test the SWR meter and it gave me a reading of 1.2. Then I even replaced the cb with a different one (which should have an effect) and I still have the same problem. Soo the only thing that get my SWR down to a reasonable range is when I hold the ground plate and physically move the antenna around. The best i could get it is when I held it almost 50% of the way under the roof line. WHATTT am I doing WRONG?!?!?! :sad2:

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mcampana said:
http://www.wearecb.com/support/setcbantenna.htm
I've done this but the SWR readings are soooo far out they can't be tuned. It's as if the system is being shorted out somewhere. The only thing I can think of is that my ground location isn't good enough, although I have tested it with a current tester without the coax connected and it can get a connection between the mounting bracket and the hooks on the roof of the interior.

·
on line
628 Posts
Are you grounding directly to the mount or to the rack? On my setup, I am grounded from the mount to on of the screws for the struts on the back hatch. I would recommend grounding to the mount directly.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
USArmyX said:
Are you grounding directly to the mount or to the rack? On my setup, I am grounded from the mount to on of the screws for the struts on the back hatch. I would recommend grounding to the mount directly.
I grounded the mount and the rack to the exact location you did.
What setup do you have?? Do you have a loadwarrior? If so where did you mount the antenna?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
What are you using to ground the mount with? Ideally you'd use the braid from a lenght of coax.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okk guys, Well I tried absolutely every mounting position on the Yakima Loadwarrior Rack for my Firestik. NOTHINGG worked in terms of grounding it properly and getting a SWR less than 3.5. Sooooo I just bought a welder last week and have been practicing non stop, and I saw this as an opportunity to make my first custom metal piece for my car. It took me about 3 hours to design cut out and weld, but it was worth it. I made a cb mounting bracket that attaches to the two bolts holding the rear hatch shock on. I mounted it today and tested my SWR. I have a 1.4 at channel one, 1 to 1 at channel 21, and a 1.3 at channel 40. The thing is putting out some serious transmit power :) I will post some pics of my custom mount tommarow.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
any pics of this yet?

also...xterra..how much would ya charge to make another bracket :D

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Guys Work Ended up getting really busy and I haven't had time to get some shots of the mount I made. Unfortunately I took off the Bracket Yesterday to finish it up and realized that i didn't displace enough surface area around the shock mount and so it was starting to ripple the metal a little bit. I will go ahead and redesign it and post it up. If you guys are still interested I Might consider selling them.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am going to assume you do not have the two nylon washers on the stud mount, ot that the stud mount is grounding out on your custom bracket.

The antenna it's self should not be grounded, just the mount. If your antenna goes to ground, your SWR will spike all the way up.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Muzikman said:
I am going to assume you do not have the two nylon washers on the stud mount, ot that the stud mount is grounding out on your custom bracket.

The antenna it's self should not be grounded, just the mount. If your antenna goes to ground, your SWR will spike all the way up.
The Custom bracket fixed the SWR. I had everything properly mounted when it was on my Yakima along with the bracket properly grounded and I even went through the trouble of grounding the entire Yakima rack. There is something extremely weird about the racks that realllly screws with the SWR. Then when I made this new bracket I got an swr on all channels between 1 and 1.2.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys I know I said I would post these like two months ago but you will get over it. :thumbleft:
Here are some pictures of my custom mount that I welded for the rear shock mount for my hatch. I have been using this thing for quite some time now and it is working AWSOME. I get an amazing SWR with it and I love its placement.

·
on line
225 Posts
Even if it's something halfway decent, I can go over it and clean up the welds. I would make one myself. I just don't have a welder at home and really no time to fuss with it.

·
on line
209 Posts
I have the same SWR problem with my CB. My antenna is mounted to a mirror mount, attached to the factory rack with exhaust clamps. I grounded my mount the the strut location with stranded copper wire and my SWR is still off the charts. I replaced cables and CB's and I rewired the power supply and ground. Nothing works. I NEED one of those brackets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts