Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an interesting issue for y'all to ponder. My CB has been in my truck for around 3 years now, never had a problem.

Cobra 29 Anniversary Edition, wired to a Blue Sea fuse box with direct power from the battery (not switched) and grounded to the OEM radio ground under the dash.

All of a sudden one day, when the weather go colder, it decided it didn't want to turn on. OK I thought, blew a fuse maybe. Checked the fuse box, nope, fuse was good. Pulled it out, put it back and the radio worked fine again. Couple days go by and I don't drive the truck. Go out, fire her up, turn the CB on and nothing. Pull the fuse again and reinsert and it works. At this point I'm thinking the contacts in the fuse box are no good so I switch the power to a different fuse slot, put in a new fuse and assume all will be fine, not so. Same problem persists. Yesterday, I just unplugged the CB power harness from the back of the CB and plugged it back in and wala, it worked.

So, I'm sort of stumped. I've changed nothing at all with the way I have this thing hooked up since the day I put it in the truck. Anyone got any ideas? Bad power wire harness? Radio taking a dump on me? Grounding issue (that somehow, after 3 years, it rears it's head?)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Could be the cold. My mp3 player didn't want to start yesterday, and my GPS will occasionally tell me that it's too cold for a full boot and that I should sit my ass down and wait.

Could also be age. Your rig vibrates and rattles around a lot, something has to give way eventually.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its probably just an issue with the cold and/or old age. Do you really use your cb every day?
I did when I drove it everyday. Commuting on the highway for a little ways it's always interesting to hear what the truckers bitch about... And they usually know what's going on if there are delays.

Could be the cold. My mp3 player didn't want to start yesterday, and my GPS will occasionally tell me that it's too cold for a full boot and that I should sit my ass down and wait.

Could also be age. Your rig vibrates and rattles around a lot, something has to give way eventually.

Just seemed odd that it started doing it out of the blue. Not like it hasn't been cold before. This is the first time it's seeing winter without being used everyday though and it could have an effect. I would hope a radio would last longer than 3 years but maybe not. Truck does bounce around a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
You might want to trace/check all of the wiring connections both physically and with a test light and/or meter from your radio all the way to the battery. Inspect the wires too. Vehicle vibrations over time could have caused a loose/compromised connection or damaged insulation.

How much power are you getting at the radio? Radio amp draw in receive mode? How does that correspond to battery voltage/amp draw measured at the battery under the same conditions (i.e. at the same time and without the engine running?)

It is more likely a problem with the wiring than the radio, but you can bench test it if you have the gear or take it to a CB or Ham shop (or any commercial UHF radio outfit for that matter) and have it tested.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No moisture inside the truck.

Fuse is in engine bay on it's own stand alone fuse box. Will inspect the wiring when the temp warms up a bit. I have one more suspicion where there might be damage to a wire/connection. It's a bit of a bitch to get to so I need some warmer temps.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
There was likely just the smallest amount of corrosion on whatever part you moved. Heat and cold cause parts to shrink and swell just the tiniest amount.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
i see, so there is a need for it if a big offroader
CB has been the most common mode of offroad group trail communications since the mid-1960's, and still is despite the availability of cell phones, FRS, Ham radio, etc. CB is required for most (if not all) organized offroad events and club runs (e.g., GoneMOAB, Jeep Jamboree, etc.).

You don't need to be a "big offroader" to benefit from a CB. Imagine a situation where you venture offroad alone (ill advised), encounter problems and need assistance getting unstuck. If all you have is your cellphone you may be able to reach someone, but will they be close enough to help you within a reasonable time? What if you have no cell service, or do have service but get nothing but voicemail? With a CB, you might be able to reach another offroader or a trucker on the closest highway. Radio contact may mean the difference between a good trail story and a very bad day.

Personally, I don't venture offroad without a cell phone, CB, Ham radio, and a pair of FRS radios to use with a spotter so no one has to yell. Overkill? Maybe, but better to be over prepared than under.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
CB's are great, their chief weakness is that they can't transmit more than a mile or two in any kind of terrain, and no more than 5-10 miles in flat areas (at best... most radios are worse than that.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Personally, I don't venture offroad without a cell phone, CB, Ham radio, and a pair of FRS radios to use with a spotter so no one has to yell. Overkill? Maybe, but better to be over prepared than under.

:withstupid:
THIS. I do the exact same thing. I've heard a lot of wheeling trips use 2 meter HAMs at the front and back of the group to keep the group from becoming split, although I haven't yet had the privilege of wheeling with a group that large.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CB's are indeed a little bit of black magic as atmospheric conditions tend to play a huge roll in reception, not so much transmission.

In any case, mine inparticular, I'm leaning toward the cold. Started it up last night after sitting for a day and a half and the CB turned on no problem. Temps were in the high 30's vs. low 20's or below zero as they have been for the last couple of weeks. I have yet to check any of the connections, though I will when I get a chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts