Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

CB Radio Info - PBR

52K views 107 replies 51 participants last post by  Billoftt 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to get some info on Cb radios such as where people are mounting them and why they chose the brand they did.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Most people buy the compact ones and put them in their center console. The other popular option is cobra 75 and it's midland competitor.

I just bought a uniden pro520xl and will put it in the console.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Most people buy the compact ones and put them in their center console. The other popular option is cobra 75 and it's midland competitor.
^^This.

There really isn't a good place to mount a full size CB. Some have tried the side of the transmission tunnel, in the door pocket, and on top of the dash.

There are compact CBs that will fit in the center console, but one loses the ability to see or access the volume, squelch and channel controls unless the console is open. [See, Uniden Pro 505XL, Pro510XL and Pro520XL; Midland CB1; Cobra 19DXIV (may be too deep for console mount).] You might measure the "cubby" under the heater controls to see if it will accept one of these compact radios.

A popular choice is an "all in hand" unit like the Cobra 75WXST or Midland 75-822. I have the Cobra. Although the performance is not quite as good as with a full size chassis CB, with a properly mounted and tuned antenna it is perfectly acceptable for group communications on the trail and has the advantage of being stored out of sight when not in use.

Cobra 75WXST

Midland 75-822

Midland CB1

Uniden PRO520XL

#8 ·
If you're staying within the FCC limits of 4W tx output for CB, the limiting factor on range will be the antenna installation and tuning; which is all application (ie, a particular individual setup) specific.

I tend to be partial to a base or mid-loaded whip antenna (like the K40 lip-mount whip or the Wilson "Trucker" series) ... IIRC a full length (no load coil) CB whip is 100"+ long (like 102" or 108" ... too big for me), so the loading coil gets you down to a more manageable size.

Firestik fiberglass antennas are popular - and available in several colors and lengths to suit many different applications; also easy to tune if you get one that has the adjustable tip-screw ... but I'm not as much of a fan of their aesthetics, personally (too big and clunky looking). Wilson, K40, and Firestik (I believe) make a smaller diameter (and more flexible) fiberglass antenna, as well ... which may be a good option if you want something in the middle between a whip and a traditional fiberglass antenna.

Diamond has some 'standard' 3/8"-24 threaded mounts that give good adjustability for slope and rake, if you're not installing on a perfectly level/aligned surface or edge. The K400-3/8C and K400-3/8C2 are two different versions (with different cable lengths). You can also get whip antennas (like the K40 lip-mount whip) that have a mount built-in.

All of the above presumes, of course, that you're planning to provide the antenna with a good ground plane (like the roof or hood) ... which is a necessity for proper tuning and maximum range, given the low power of the (legal) CB output. If you can't (or don't want to) provide a good *isolated* ground, then you need to look at an NGP (no ground plane) antenna ... there are several available, notably from Firestik and Wilson, both; but I've seen others. This will be a tuned antenna/cable circuit that uses the feed cable as the counterpoise to the antenna and takes the vehicle's body out of the system. They're typically for systems where a metallic ground plane is unavailable (like on a fiberglass boat, a motorcycle, or a fiberglass RV body), but folks have put them to good use for an offroad CB many times as well.

Folks have made some good recommendations on radios, already, so the only thing I'll add is that some are available with access to the national weather broadcast bands ... traveling in the mountain west and desert southwest, I've found this to be a nice feature to have.

Were I putting together my system today, knowing what I've learned since I first did it five years or so ago, I'd probably get myself a Midland 1001LWX radio, a Diamond K400-3/8C or C2 (depending on the length of wire run needed), and a 4' Wilson Flex or a K40 SF-400 Superflex antenna. I'd mount the radio either on the side of the plastic center console that sits on the transmission tunnel, next to the shifter, or inside the center console and use an external speaker to get better sound from the (now buried) standard radio speaker. The antenna would then go either on the edge of the hood, or off the top of the back hatch.

What I've currently got is a K40 lip-mount whip, which has a built-in mount and attached cable, and a Uniden Pro 538W ... I have the antenna mounted on the edge of the hood (near the hinge), and radio mounted as described on the console next to the shifter (it barely works ... radio's slightly too big for that location). With that setup, properly tuned, I've gotten superb performance in ideal conditions (like miles) ... and have also been the mid-gun relay on a large trail run when the front couldn't talk to the back (and someone else who was *supposed* to be mid-gunner was having comms trouble due to tuning/setup and was unable to relay). BUT, I've also not been able to hit someone I knew was just outside the valley I happened to have stopped within ... it's more than just the tx setup (that determines the rf performance of a contact), it's also the rx setup of the person you're trying to reach, as well as the geographics and atmospherics.

Both Firestik and Right Channel Radios have detailed technical libraries on CB installation, tuning, equipment, and performance ... there are also many members here that have radio experience if you wind up with specific questions that need answering.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Skibum315's suggestion that you consider the Diamond K400-3/8C and K400-3/8C2 adjustable hatch mounts is a good one. In my opinion it would be a far better choice than the commonly used fixed mount behind the tail light.

K400-3/8C;

K400-3/8C on Xterra;

Tail Light Mount;

Another mounting option is to use the factory roof rails. This can be as simple as using stainless steel muffler clamps with a flat piece of steel for the antenna stud mount or a commercially produced tube mount such as a Fourtreks mount. If you go this route you will need to address proper antenna mount grounding to achieve an adequate ground plane as the factory roof rails are not grounded to the Xterra body.

Muffler Clamp Mount;

FOURTREKS HOME Mount:

Here is my antenna system, utilizing antenna tabs welded to a DepHep drop in roof rack basket: Mr. Bills' DepHep Roof Rack Modifications/Antenna Mounts for Ham and CB - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Close up of CB antenna mount:

Grounding strap to body:

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I went with a full size CB, the Cobra 29 LTD Classic. The main reason was that it had a built in SWR calibration. This let me know immediately that I had a short in the antenna mount and was able to correct the issue before I put everything back together. As a full size unit, you are limited to where you can mount it. I attached it to the headliner with some fairly large washers to keep in snug on the headliner.

I mounted the antenna on the side of the rig in the back. This involved drilling a hole in the sheet metal for antenna cable.

Make sure you get a tunable antenna. With this setup, I was able to dial in the lowest SWR and it works quite well. Good luck

#18 · (Edited)
I went with a full size CB, the Cobra 29 LTD Classic. The main reason was that it had a built in SWR calibration. . . .
From CB Radio Magazine:
"An SWR meter is a required piece of equipment for every serious CB'er. While most radios come with a built in SWR meter in most cases they are neither accurate or offer a large enough scale for proper measurement. This is why most CB shops or CBer's who know the hobby will recommend for new CBer's to purchase their own external SWR meter. . . ." [http://cbradiomagazine.com/Accessory Reviews/HP202S Meter/Workman HP202S SWR Meter.html

I have tried to use the built-in SWR meter in several CB radios I have owned to "tune" the antenna. As noted above, it does not work well.

The usual advice given by veteran CBers to people installing their first radio is to borrow a good SWR meter, buy one online ($20-25 on Amazon), or pay a few dollars to have a nearby CB shop do the tuning. Since CB shops seem to be going the way of the dinosaur I now carry my SWR meter with me when I attend offroad events to help those who are getting poor performance from their antenna systems by checking to see if they are properly tuned. Typically they are not.

#14 · (Edited)
Regarding antenna location: PaulXYZ posted a great chart in this thread - http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56910 (Post #2). Keep in mind that with the lower mounting points, the vehicle body will serve as a mask to any portion of the antenna running parallel (or nearly so) to a body panel ... in extreme cases - like a 2' Firestik mouned low between the taillight and rear corner - communications to anything on the opposite side of the vehicle will be limited/spotty.

This is not meant as a knock against tomrejzek or anyone else using that location ... clearly if it works for your setup, go for it! However, I've noticed that those that do claim adequate (or better) performance from that mount location seem to be running longer antennas with some portion extending past the roofline. When I first attempted to install my CB, it was with a 3' Firestik in that spot (off of the top of the rear corner) and I never could get it to tune ... I ultimately chalked it up to too much body interference and switched to the whip - though, presumably a longer antenna or other location would have also worked.

ETA: As is wont to happen sometimes, I've oversimplified the mask/ground-plane interaction between the vehicle body and antenna aerial ... Paul does his typical great job explaining in the link above, which I read further after I made this post initially; but suffice to say: an asymmetric mounting will result in an asymmetric antenna pattern.

#16 ·
This is not meant as a knock against tomrejzek or anyone else using that location ... clearly if it works for your setup, go for it! However, I've noticed that those that do claim adequate (or better) performance from that mount location seem to be running longer antennas with some portion extending past the roofline. When I first attempted to install my CB, it was with a 3' Firestik in that spot (off of the top of the rear corner) and I never could get it to tune ... I ultimately chalked it up to too much body interference and switched to the whip - though, presumably a longer antenna or other location would have also worked.
Yeah, ideally the best place to mount is on the roof. The higher the antenna, the better the transmission and reception. I personally wanted a "set it and forget it" setup. I felt that if I mounted it on the roof, would have to use a fold down or removable antenna, which wouldn't meet my needs. Just my personal preference. I suspect that the reason my set up works well is, as you say, a good portion of the antenna is above the roofline (the firestiks have a closer winding spacing toward the end, which puts more of the antenna toward its tip). That and having a low SWR helps.

When I install a ham radio later this year, I am going to install that antenna on the driver side hood. This location will keep all the antennas as far away from each other as possible to prevent interference. I look at CB as short distance communication versus ham for long distance. Therefore, the ham antenna will get the best spot for wave propagation. Again, just personal preference.

#19 · (Edited)
Killer info! I've been looking for a convenient way to mount an antenna for my nearly useless midland hand held.

Now I have a question about the Diamond k400. The "c" comes with 6' of cable. Is that enough to run from the hood through the firewall and into the center console or do I need the c2 with 13.5' of cable? And the Wilson Flex antenna, I assume the little ground wire attaches to the K400 which sinks it's little teeth into the metal on the hood, and grounding is complete?

#20 ·
Killer info! I've been looking for a convenient way to mount an antenna for my nearly useless midland hand held. Now I have a question about the Diamond k400. The "c" comes with 6' of cable. Is that enough to run from the hood through the firewall and into the center console or do I need the c2 with 13.5' of cable? And the Wilson Flex antenna, I assume the little ground wire attaches to the K400 which sinks it's little teeth into the metal on the hood, and grounding is complete?
I would go with the C2.

While it is the opposite direction, I have. 12' cable going from my dash, through the centre console, under the rear seat through a hole in the rear storage and only had about 8in to spare.

Better safe than sorry

#23 · (Edited)
Found this usefull tail light install

http://www.www.thenewx.org.org/showthread.php?31-CB-Antenna-Install

TNX doesn't seam to let me paste the site as hyper link, sorry,

Hope it helps!
The link does not work either as a hyperlink or by cutting and pasting. I followed the link to the search result in my email notification of the post rather than from the post itself and it opened a CB install thread on Xterra N*t**n.org. This suggests to me that the owners of TheNewX.org have installed filters to block any reference to the competing Xterra forum or any links to that site. Censorship at its finest.

#26 ·
The Diamond K400-3/8C2 comes with 13.5' of coax and has a MSRP of $79.95 (available online for as low as $64).

Compared to a "garden variety" Firestik antenna mount and cable: Coax, Part K-8A MSRP $23.99 + Hatch Channel Mount (commonly used with Xterras for tail light mount), Part SS-274A MSRP $22.49 = $46.48

$79.95 - 46.48 = $33.47

The extra $33.47 buys you a 3 axis adjustable mount that can be mounted without any drilling or fabrication and which locates the antenna up high for better performance.

It would be well worth the extra money to me.

#30 ·
If you put your hands on a K400, the quality is evident ... in addition to the extreme adjustability that Mr. Bills notes, the stability is quite good, and the attached cable terminates in a mini-UHF (SMA?) connector and the mount includes a RFU645 (mates to the PL-259 on the back of your radio) adapter. This allows the very thin coax that the Diamond is equipped with to be *much* more easily threaded and run than a "standard" 18' coax that's included in most off the shelf install kits you'll see around. Here's the Diamond site for the K400-3/8C ...

In my opinion, the shorter cable would likely be enough to run from the hood and into the center console (through the dash) ... they do have an extension cable that can be used (C110) if it turns out to not be enough length, or like Yorkdiver said, if you'd rather be on the safe side, the C2 has an additional 7' of cable to work with. Or, run a string to check your length ahead of time and verify prior to ordering.

The added lead at the base of the Wilson Flex, is indeed a ground stud ... I don't recall offhand if the K400 is a grounded mount (would be through its set-screws and into the vehicle skin, if so) or not, but that would be easy to verify during install ... regardless, you'd want to ensure that the ground lead on the antenna was given proper connection to ground.

I recently purchased some radio gear to install in a trailer that my wife and I are having built, and decided to go with K400 mounts for both the CB and 2m antennas ... I will likely upgrade/switch the CB system in the Xterra at some point, and when I do it will be to the system I described in a previous post (Midland 1001LWX, small diameter fiberglass flex antenna, and K400 mount). There are other comparable mounts to the K400 (Comet makes some, for example), but they are all in a similar pricepoint ... which as yakkerX noted is a step above some of the other generic mounting solutions; in my view this step is worth the investment.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's my install I did this weekend of my Galaxy 949 that was gifted to me. I was having troubles looking at where to mount it and decided to cut out about 2-3 inches inside the center console. I probably could have made better cuts, but it works for me and no one will be in my center console but me. I also had to put in some 3/4 inch nylon spacer to raise the rear of the console because the coax was kinked up and with this CB the mic connection is on the side, so I drilled a hole. ;P. And since I finally put my RTT on, I need to look at a new spot for my 4ft Firefly.

#38 · (Edited)
I installed a Uniden 510XL, for several reasons - they are durable, inexpensive ($40), work well, are decently small, have no frills, and they retain the channel in memory when you turn it off (a lot of units default to 9). I don't need a PA or anything other than volume, squelch, and channel. This has ANL but that seems like a gimmick anyway so I just leave it off.

After some consideration about location, I opted for the top of the dash. This isn't my most ideal spot but the others all were worse choices. Under the dash (where it would have had to be crammed in to fit) would have ate up the flat storage area where I keep my phone and wallet; in the console would have been inaccessible, behind the console would have been awkward and required a mic extension, on the tranny hump would have ate up passenger legroom and not allowed the passenger seat to slide forward, and on the headliner would have been cumbersome and always in the way.

Antenna base is a trunk lip mount NMO style mounted to the hood, a separate grounding strap goes to the frame since the hood is sort of electrically isolated with the hinges.

Antenna is a 1/4 wave base loaded antenna, about 53" long - ish with the coil. I remove it when not in use and cover the exposed NMO mount with a cap.

I was able to get SWR to 1.6 on channel 19 and 1.8 on 1 and 40 so I'm okay with that.

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
I went with the Uniden 520XL in the center console. I decided to do something a little bit different and use a hood channel mount with a RoadPro Antenna. The Antenna is quite flexible, so I'm not too worried about trees. The antenna also is just barely taller than my roof rack, so I don't hit in the garage or other low hanging areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.