Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo..I just won a firestick cb antenna at B2SRun 2013, just need the radio. I know next to nothing about cb radios. any advice on which to get, how to hook it up.....I would deff want one that hooks into a cig lighter

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Midland 75-822 and the Cobra 75 are the most popular compact CB's. The Midland is what I have and has a cig lighter plug already attached. The entire unit fits inside the center console.

Of course there are the traditional mobile units, a larger box with a corded mic, however they are not nearly as easy to find a place to install as the 2 units I mentioned above.

To complete your setup in addition to the radio you will need a mounting method, part of which will be a stud to mount the threaded end of the antenna into, and will allow you to attach the coax cable, of which you'll need about 18ft. A spring is a good idea as well to allow it some "give" in case you hit it on something.

You will also need a SWR meter, or borrow one from a friend if you have that option. It is needed to tune your antenna using the screw hidden under the top cap. As far as I am aware tuning is not "optional" as some will have you believe, if you skip this step you can potentially ruin your new radio.

What antenna did you get? How long?

Right now your best first move is decide where you want to mount the antenna. That will be the most important thing to settle, as the rest of your install will depend on that.

For the best performance, on top the roof is best. That does put it where it gets hit by trees though. One popular mounting option is mounted around the tail light, however personally I think that doesn't work out long term very well as it's hard to make a mount that small very secure. I have mine on a U-bolt on the roof rack rail, with a folding mechanism so I can tuck it away when in low clearance areas.

Good luck, I don't use mine much, but it's cool to mess with and can be really handy on trail runs.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Did you get the 3ft or 4 ft firestik. The key to a good setup is a good antenna(which you now have) :) and the radio can be either cheap or top dollar they all run the same transmission power so all you really get with an expensive radio is more features. Now if you want to run it cigarette outlet power there are kits that you can find at most auto parts stores to have that setup, I would go for a tap to the fuse block for power and use quick disconnects and tuck them away when not in use, but that's because im always using my Sirius radio and charging my phone. Actually you could use the outlet splitters and get away with it that way since the radio doesn't draw much power. Just make sure to tune it all, and here is a good site to learn a lot about cbs.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-radio-resources.html

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Here is some good mounting info.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56910&highlight=antenna+mount

I think you got a 4' in the raffle so mounting it on the roof rack might be too high. If you look though some of the build threads you might get some ideas too.

As far as CB, I wish I went cobra 75 but that Midland 75-822 is pretty nice too.

I did have my Midland 1001LWX in the cigarette lighter but I am going to rewire it because my passengers tend to bump it and I don't even realize the CB is off... My midland fits in the console nice but it takes some finessing and an external speaker to get it working well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just a little FYI - My first CB was in 1977. I've never tuned an antenna in my life. My current CB is a 30 year old Uniden and I use a magnetic mount antenna that has had the antenna taken apart and put back together several times. Either I'm lucky and the antenna is tuned well, or it's not "that" critical.

A magnetic mount might be good for you too as you can remove everything when not using it. It also prevents the antenna from breaking if you hit something, but a spring can do that too.

As far as a recommended CB - Stick with a major brand like Cobra, Midland, Uniden. I hear Cobra 29's are still one of the best made. Buy an inexpensive one. You can always upgrade later. You can find decent radios for $35 - $60...

Walmart has the Cobra 29 LTD Classic for $99... If this is your first CB and you wheel with other people that have them, it's a blast.

Oh, and any CB can be hooked to a cig lighter. I just wired mine to an adapter. Looks ghetto, but it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts