Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an inexpensive Cobra CB radio and need to find a good antenna for it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I went to WalcottCB's website and im really liking the Firestiks but i want more feedback on them before i buy. Is anyone else running them? If so, what length are you running and where and how did you mount it? Im trying to stay away from the magnet type ones. What is the main difference between the fiberglass and metal? Sorry for all the noob questions, im new to this.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the big lots special - Cobra 19DX IV. I dont need all the bells and whistles of the higher end models. I just need to communicate with the other guys when go on the Xcursions every month. Plus, at the price i got it for, i cant complain.

·
on line
294 Posts
if you're gonna get a firestik, go for the firestik 2. they're supposed to be better than the firefly's from what i've read, and they're easy to tune.

buddy of mine has a 4-foot F2 on his heep mounted to a door-jamb mount on the rear hatch and a HD spring. he loves it. gets pretty good reception and anything less than 4 foot would look too small in that spot.

·
on line
294 Posts
i've got the lil wil on my truck also. gets great reception. but i wouldnt recommend a mag-mount for off-roading (low trees). i'm glad i pulled the whip beofre going out last night. woulda tore that thing right off.

i'm thinking of going to a perm-mount Firestik2 maybe next year. still deciding.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
okay, sorry to jack the thread here, but i aslo have a mag roof mount, and how the hell do u tune it. can someone give me a idiots guide. is it with the RF gain and tht other knob i forget whts called.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
125inA30zone said:
okay, sorry to jack the thread here, but i aslo have a mag roof mount, and how the hell do u tune it. can someone give me a idiots guide. is it with the RF gain and tht other knob i forget whts called.

Insert the whip until the whip rests on the bottom of the chrome Antenna adjustment mast. (The whip is generally longer than necessary for CH 1-40 operation.)

If you have access to an SWR meter, put it between the CB Radio Antenna jack and the antenna connector.

Check the SWR on CH 1 and CH 40. If the SWR is lower on CH 1 than on CH 40, cut 1/4" from the top of the whip and recheck SWR. Repeat until SWR is approximately the same on CH 1 and CH 40.

If the SWR is higher on CH 1 and lower on CH 40, pull the whip out 1/4" and recheck SWR. Repeat until SWR is approximately the same on CH 1 and CH 40.

It is important that the car or truck doors are shut while making SWR measurements. Also, the vehicle should be at least 30 ft. from any metal, wire or structures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts