Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how you guys mounted your cb units. I'm picking mine up tonight and hopefully installing it this weekend.

If you have pictures don't be afraid to post them. :bom:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have no pictures, but I have the Cobra 75 WXST which is the one with all the controls in the mic. I like it because it takes no room. I have the module up under the dash under the steering wheel. I drilled a hole just below the ignition and ran the mic cable out of it and mounted just to the left of the center controls.

I mounted the antenna on the passenger side of my Shrock bumper (drilled a hole) and ran the 18' of coax from there, down the passenger side of the engine compartment, across the back of the engine compartment and then into the cab through the rubber grommet.

I used all Firestik hardware;

4’ Firestik II antenna
18’ standard Firestik Coax
Heavy Duty Firestik stud/spring mount

I am getting perfect SWR and I can transmit 3-4 miles depending on terrain.

·
TNX Administrator
20,374 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I've got almost the exact same setup as Muzikman, except my anttana is a Lil Wil magnet mount and it's centered on the roof at the rear.

You can save yourself some hastle on wiring through the firewall and buy a 10A Add-A-Circut from any auto store. It plugs right into the fuse box at an unused location.

The Cobra in question is badass if you haven't already bought a CB.
________
WELLBUTRIN LAWYER

·
on line
3,484 Posts
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=536

I did a write up on this in the beginning but I can't find it. No one had balls enough to drill through the roof, but I have like a 1 to 1 SWR on my Radio. Antennas are best on top. Magnet mounts are good, Bolted is better. I first had the small remote mounted Radio but removed the console and added a full size radio in there with some major trimming.
I love it! But It's not for the weak. Picture later, got to take one.
Oh boy! Yes that Mic is for my Pa system before anyone asks, and the little Machine is a siren, animal noise maker. On to the CB.
I had to take the console out, it tapers down so the radio would not sit in far enough to close the lid. So I cut it to fit. The bolts that normally hold the CB in a mount still go in from the sides. However, in order to remove the CB you have to also remove the console. Anti theft for sure. I used a elbow at the ant at the bottom. (Low clearance) anyhow, I have toys in this radio, Dogfight, Turbo echo - reverb, Roger beep, on and on. Typical Truckers radio. Like I said, not an install for the weak or meek.
The Small one worked fine, but I just could not stand it since I am a big radio type of guy. It was a PITA install but what I wanted. Can be done.

MC

·
on line
19 Posts
Hi all.

It's been awhile since I've been here. I was thinking of getting the Cobra 75 WXST for my X but I have a question.

For those that have it, how is the speaker quality? does it sound squalky or tinny i.e. cheap?, or is it close to the sound that you'd hear from a normal rig where you dont have all the controls on the mic?

Thanks,

BOOF

·
on line
315 Posts
As much as I love the small footprint of the 75WXST, I have to say the speaker is a major drawback. It does sound slightly "tinny." However, all other advantages being considered, I wouldn't recommend that someone pass it up based only on that. It's not terrible, just not as good. You can also add an external speaker, though - so that's always an option.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I've never had any complaints with it's sound quality. "Tiny" noise coming from my CB is fine, as long as it's clear.
However, like he said, external speakers are always an option.
________
HugeAddicted

·
on line
19 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

For you 05 owners, where did you mount the mic holder?

Lastly, My intent was to use it for traffic information and or weather. Do you find it usefull in that regard? I know that the answer will be different depending on where one lives, but I was just curious how usefull it would be...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
CB is a very useful tool installed in a OR vehicle. Both on and OR. It's very useful in traffic jams as truckers will talk about what has happened, how long it will be and alternate routes. Plus Bear reports and traffic reports. However, it's best to listen a lot because until you know the lingo, they can tell you are a "4 Wheeler" and they can get as stupid as XOC on the radio. MC

·
on line
19 Posts
Hi USMC

I remember you from ClubXterra.org. I used to be an Admin there until I resigned a few months ago.

I used to be an avid CB'er many years ago so the lingo shouldnt be a prob. I was just kind of on the fence about buying one and I was fishing for reason to get one or not. I'll probably just go for it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where to mount the mic on my 05 though. I took a quick look this morning for a location but there didnt seem to be a reall good place for a mic location.

Any ideas?

·
on line
315 Posts
If you're not afraid to drill holes and mount a mic holder, immediately to the left of the 4x4 knob is a perfect spot.

You might even be able to get away with an adhesive mic holder if you have a light enough mic. But I have the 75WXST and it's heavy enough that I had to drill, which I didn't mind.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
armandov99 said:
If you're not afraid to drill holes and mount a mic holder, immediately to the left of the 4x4 knob is a perfect spot.

You might even be able to get away with an adhesive mic holder if you have a light enough mic. But I have the 75WXST and it's heavy enough that I had to drill, which I didn't mind.

That is what I did. WOrks well.

·
on line
19 Posts
Muzikman said:
BOOFER7 said:
Thanks for the advice guys!

How's it going Muzik!
Boofer man...what happened? I returned to clubX and you were gone! Stick around here for awhile, you'll learn a lot. :)
Well, I gave the site a year to develop legs & get moving but, its pretty much in the same state it was in when I first joined. Plus I got tired of banning spam every hour, So I resigned. I wished it could have been different.

This site looks great so far. I dont have much time to post lately but I will "stay tuned" :salute:

·
on line
19 Posts
Last question.

Where did you guys mount the connector box?

I have it on order. I should receive it in about a week, just curious in the mean time.

Thanx

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Back when I had that set up, I did a how to install, should be here somewhere. Anyways this is a picture of where it is at. Using screws that are there anyways, Mine was under the console as shot from the rear, this shows in taken apart form. MC

·
on line
19 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Back when I had that set up, I did a how to install, should be here somewhere. Anyways this is a picture of where it is at. Using screws that are there anyways, Mine was under the console as shot from the rear, this shows in taken apart form. MC
Thanks.
I didnt know where to hook up the DC then I remembered this post.

Thank you sir. !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts