Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CB this weekend and am now debating on where to mount it. I'd ultimately like to mount it on the bottom side of the dash below the 4x4 switch and whatnot, kind of infront of the shifter, back in that cubby. However, I haven't seen anyone else mount a CB there so that's kind of leading me to believe that it may not be possible for whatever reason.

I'm just looking to get ideas. I can't search for it since "CB" isn't long enough to search for.

Thanks in advance.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: PUT IT ON THE--

--

-OVERHEAD !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
145 Posts
Here's mine

of course it meant replacing the HU as well but I am pleased with it

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd really like to have it somewhere on the dash. Idealy would be like I said, on the underbelly in the center under the 4x4 controls. IF it can't fit I'll have to settle with another option (obviously). Having it mounted up high seems nice, except for when you're wheeling and keep having to reach up for the mic, unless I'm off. I tried clipping my handheld walky on my sun visor this weekend and found it sucked reaching up everytime I had to talk. I don't know... decisions... decisions....

·
on line
152 Posts
k1w1t1m, that is a sweet idea. How did you make the cb fit under the head unit like that? What adapter did you use for the head unit?

·
on line
809 Posts
hokiexterra22 said:
k1w1t1m, that is a sweet idea. How did you make the cb fit under the head unit like that? What adapter did you use for the head unit?
There are a few DIN mount CB's on the market that are designed to mount in a car stereo slot.

I mounted mine above my stereo, though I had to make a custom mount from sheet metal.

·
on line
286 Posts
Under the 4WD controls is probably the best location for it in terms of accessibility of the controls, speaker volume and cooling. If you talk a lot on the trail, the more heat the radio will generate.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Ricky said:
bottom side of the dash below the 4x4 switch and whatnot, kind of infront of the shifter, back in that cubby.
Ricky - I mounted mine in the place that you described -->

But it's the tiny size of the Cobra that makes this possible. You'll have to cut some plastic from the back of the tray and then some behind that too. (disregard the reference to the Maglite as these picts are from a post that was about where I posted my rechargeable.)

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oz - How much did you have to trim exactly. Today I finally got the time to pull the Cb out of the box (the same one you have) and see how it'd fit up in there. It looks like it'll go right where I want it without trimming. I'm going to mount the bracket on the bottom side of the dash, instead of the top of the center console. In other words I'm going to be hanging the CB instead of having it sit in the bracket like your's is. Well... that's my plan at least. I'll probably try to get it all mounted up on Friday. I'll be running a magnetic style antenna until I can get a roof rack. Then I'll mount a Firestick on that. I'd rather not drill anymore holes. I'll just take the magnetic antenna off when I'm not wheeling or breaker breaker 1-9ing.

·
on line
145 Posts
hokiexterra22 said:
I used the factory bracket to mount the HU and the CB. The HU mounted in the factory bracket with no drilling or anything required. I had to drill holes in the bracket for the CB though.
I did not buy any installation kit, I just used the factory stereo brackets.
I bought the wiring adapter at Wal-Mart for about $7. I also connected the CB power and ground wires to the stereo power and ground wires.
I used some foam weatherstrip to fill the gap under the CB. Next time I have it apart I will slot the CB mounting holes and even up the gap.
I am very pleased with the results.

·
on line
1,739 Posts

Mine's in the glove box as the dash is reserved for the amateur radio.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts