Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got my tire carrier bumper on and am in the middle of hooking up my CB. The only problem is, I dont think i have all the proper stuff to attach the antenna. I got a 4' firestik antenna, but they didnt have any firestik accessories, so i got whatever i could find. 18' super mini 8 coax cable (made by Wilson), and a heavy duty antenna spring.

the spring attaches to the antenna just fine. The problem is that the threaded part on the bottom of the spring is not very long (makes mounting difficult), plus there is no place on the spring to attach the coax cable to.

Can someone just take a few pictures of their shrock rear bumper with the antenna mounted to it, and give me a list of parts that you used to make it work. Thanks dudes.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It sound like you have the spring, but not the actual mount.

They make a spring that can screw into a stud mount and they make a spring that has a stuf mount build in.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I went to radio shack and bought the mount.

A few questions... the mounting instructions suggest drilling a 1/2 inch hole, well the hole that is on the bumper is more like one inch. The nylon ring that comes with the mount is almost the same size (one inch) so it keeps falling inside rather than resting on top. Should i go buy a larger nylon ring or could i stick a meatal washer in there.

Also from where should I run the ground wire? I know where it needs to go to... but not where i should start it.

Here are some pics...

Nylon washer is the same size...

Where should the ground wire be connected???

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mcampana said:
Thats just the thing with the ground wire and the Shrockworks bumper. Ir technically isnt grounded since the antenna is on the swing arm, which is connected with that big ole bolt.
So youre saying its not grounded, right? Well where do I mount the ground wire?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You mean the wire that comes off the antenna? If you ground the mount, you do not need the "ground" on the antenna.

I don't have an antenna mount on my tire carrier, so I am not sure of the best way to do this, but, you need a good ground to the mount. Your problem is going to be running out of threads if you start adding washers to take up the space for the oversized hole. You need the nylon washer to prevent the top part of the mount (as well as the threads) from grounding out, but you need a ground on the bottom part of the mount.

I would try this. Find a large nylon washer with an ID the same at the threads. I would then find a stainless washer with an ID the same size as the lip on your current nylon washer.

1. Put the new large nylon washer on top of the mounting bracket.
2. Sand down the current nylon washer so that it does fit inside the hole in the bracket (and is about as think as the bracket too).
3. Place it lip side down in the hole of the bracket.
4. Put the new stainless washer on the bottom so that the lip on the nylon washer sits inside it.
5. Use a large ring connector (much larger than the threads, but still smaller than the bottom part of the mount).
6. From the ring connector, run a wire to the frame (this will be your ground).
7. Put the mount together. (remember, the bottom piece must be grounded, but the top piece and the threads should not be.

I hope that is some what clear. If not, let me know and I'll try to draw a picture.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it made pretty good sense. I already got the nylon and meatal washers. Now we will see if it works.

Im surprised nobody else chimed in here who has done this yet!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
The hole is "standard" size according to ShrockWorks but not according to me. ShrockWork hole measures 0.7".

The hole is a bit too small for an NMO mount which is not used for CB radio - that's an amateur radio type mount and wants a 0.750" hole.

The normal 3/8" screw on the bottom of a firestik wants a 1/2" hole.

A PO (SO-239) style roof mount can go into a 0.750" hole. I've got a right angle SO-239 which looks like it will fit. I'll need to find a washer with a 0.650 hole and a 1" diameter. But again the PO antenna is an amateur radio type. They do make adapters to go from PO to 3/8" screw.

90 degree mount:

The only other solution I've attempted is a "bee hive" mount to cover up the too big hole. Unfortunately I ordered from some rip-off joint in Minnesota called Premiere-Electronics - 89 BBB comlaints. Mine will be sent tomorrow. Other places sell the beehive but it's a bit big for the tiny little tab.

A bee hive type mount:

Another alternative is to make a sandwich with the too big/too small hole with a 3/8" stud like pictured below.

Jim if you're reading this I'd love to hear a comment on the "standard size" CB hole that you're putting in the CB tab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts