Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been searching for an answer and can't come across one.

I'm wondering if anyone has their CB Antenna mounted to their tire carrier (shrock or otherwise) and if they have success. My CB is getting high SWRs and intermittently getting signals from states 3000 miles away, but nothing near me. Reaaallly weird. Only thing I can think of is my ground being lousy. I have a 14 or 16 ga (i think) wire going from my aluminum mount to the frame of the truck. Let my know, this is really aggravating.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey guys, I've been searching for an answer and can't come across one.

I'm wondering if anyone has their CB Antenna mounted to their tire carrier (shrock or otherwise) and if they have success. My CB is getting high SWRs and intermittently getting signals from states 3000 miles away, but nothing near me. Reaaallly weird. Only thing I can think of is my ground being lousy. I have a 14 or 16 ga (i think) wire going from my aluminum mount to the frame of the truck. Let my know, this is really aggravating.
I had a bear of a time installing my CB and getting the SWR's down. My antenna is not on the carrier, but on my rack. Probably fairly obvious, but did you grind off the paint where you mounted your ground to the frame? Did you check for continuity from one side to the other on your antenna mount and also on the antenna coax? Don't make sharp bends in the coax. Just some of the things I can think of from my install. Good luck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean there. One side to the other of the MOUNT?

Should the outside of the coax be grounded (the part that threads onto the stud)?
I meant from where you screw the antenna in, to the opposite side where you screw the coax in. Just trying to eliminate any fault in the system - even if it happened during manufacturing.

My ground runs from the mount clamp, and that grounds the outside of the coax. Let me go snap a pic - easier than words.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm being unclear, I think. Reread your OP, and we have the same setup on the antenna. I have a 14ga ground. I take it your mount is not painted? I am still up near 3 on the SWR meter on some channels, despite replacing coax a couple of times. My grounds are good, so that does not really leave any options for me to explore.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Your 14 ga. ground wire is insufficient. It will test ok on a meter (which will show continuity), but can't flow enough RF current to make an adequate antenna ground. Without going into radio theory, what you need is a large surface area on your antenna ground wire because the RF current flows on the outside surface rather than through it. That is why 3/8" wide copper braid (or flattened braid from a scrap piece of coax) makes an antenna ground superior to wire.

If you can't access a short piece of copper braid or some braid from scrap coax (any coax, i.e., something left behind by the cable guy will do), then try a larger ga. wire.

See this link for a good explanation of CB antenna installation, testing, ground issues, etc.: http://www.klimaco.com/klimacopages/swrand.htm

See this link for some tips on bonding with copper braid: http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

·
Registered
595 Posts
Your 14 ga. ground wire is insufficient. It will test ok on a meter (which will show continuity), but can't flow enough RF current to make an adequate antenna ground. Without going into radio theory, what you need is a large surface area on your antenna ground wire because the RF current flows on the outside surface rather than through it. That is why 3/8" wide copper braid (or flattened braid from a scrap piece of coax) makes an antenna ground superior to wire.

If you can't access a short piece of copper braid or some braid from scrap coax (any coax, i.e., something left behind by the cable guy will do), then try a larger ga. wire.

See this link for a good explanation of CB antenna installation, testing, ground issues, etc.: http://www.klimaco.com/klimacopages/swrand.htm

See this link for some tips on bonding with copper braid: http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html
Wow - thanks Robert. Glad the OP made this post then.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mount is a raw piece of aluminum that i "fab'd" at work. it's 1/4 inch plate aluminum. Maybe I need to sand the paint more. I figured where i drilled into the frame it was going into bare steel and didn't sand around it. My mount itself is sitting on a power coated piece (but is grounded via the wire). I'll have to do some more trouble shooting today. This is my second coax BTW, I upgraded from cheap coax to rightchannelradios.com's RG8X 25 foot coax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts