Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me my buddy and a 3 chicks decided to go up this moderate trail i have done many times. The X did great! but the only problem was about every large bump or whoop we hit the x would bottom out in the rear, and it was quiet embarrassing because my x is brand new. From what i have read it is the rear bump stops that are crap! Now i go down tomorrow to the dealer for service. Is there anyway they can fix the issue? Under warranty?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No. No dealer solution.

And it's not that the factory bump stops are crap, it's that their rear leafs are too soft.

You have a couple solutions.

1. Timbren bump stops ($150 for the rear) - This does not fix the soft leaf problem, but it does prevent the hard bottoming out.

2. Lift the vehicle (AAL or Shackles in the rear) - If you do this, you will also want to lift the front so there is not an unnatural amount of rack.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang thats a bummer. Guess I'll be buying some new bump stops to prevent it from at least bottoming out so hard. Thanks for the info.l

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how expensive it is it to get these installed?

·
on line
142 Posts
Seriously dude, if you have a socket wrench and 20 minutes you can to the job yourself. There are only 4 bolts to mess with. It's REALLY easy.

On a side note. Where do you wheel? I have a place in Truckee and do some trails off of I-80. I'll let you know next time we go to see if you want in. We have been talking about going south to try some new stuff. Though I would recommend skid plates and sliders for the trails we do.

Z.

·
on line
564 Posts
Muzikman said:
You have a couple solutions.

1. Timbern (sp?) bump stops ($150 for the rear) - This does not fix the soft leaf problem, but it does prevent the hard bottoming out.

2. Lift the vehicle (AAL or Shackles in the rear) - If you do this, you will also want to lift the front so there is not an unnatural amount of rack.
Or number 3: Remove the old bumpstops, which is about a 10 minute job and cut off about an inch of the rubber. Install and enjoy your free extra inch of rear suspension travel and greater rear articulation...and far less bottoming!

Rob

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! thanks for all the info guys! So if i can prevent buying new bumpstops that would be great. I think im just going to take rob's advice and cut the bump stops. Can i cut more then an inch?

·
on line
62 Posts
robnfl said:
Muzikman said:
Or number 3: Remove the old bumpstops, which is about a 10 minute job and cut off about an inch of the rubber. Install and enjoy your free extra inch of rear suspension travel and greater rear articulation...and far less bottoming!

Rob
Did you cut the bumpstops on your X? I have also thought of doing the same thing but am concerned the tire would make contact with the inner fender befoe the shortened bumpstops do there job.

Vince :clown:

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Before you cut.. on the stops.. Can you photo your Progress.. This would be something I would like to do to my 07 X. before I bottom out...

Wait, 2 guy's 3 Chicks............ WOW.. your DA man!!!!...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
If you get the right stops, no need to cut on em! Timbren knows what ones fit, at least when I called, (it was a Jeep Part No) and they fit right on no cutting. There was a spacer they had to add. It don't cure the spring issue, but it does make the bang a squish! And pretty good to haul and tow with as that is what they are for. MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
With a heavy load and cut-down bump stops, you're not only going to still bottom out, but it will be a much harder impact when and will be rough on your leaf springs because they'll likely reverse-arch...

I'd go with a real solution and throw on some Timbrens. It doesn't sound like you off-road all that much so you won't be bothered by the ~1/2" in travel loss.
With the Timbrens, you'll never feel the rear end.

·
on line
564 Posts
usmc xterra said:
If you get the right stops, no need to cut on em!
I'm talking about cuting the stock bumpstops.

usmc xterra said:
...And pretty good to haul and tow with as that is what they are for...
MC...Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I've seen, the timbrens are long enough that they actually act as "overload or helper springs". Sure they soften the contact, and keep the rear from saging under heavy loads, but they limit the travel of the rear suspension which decreases articulation. If we want to off-road with our X's one of the desireable attributes is longer suspension travel with good articulation. A shorter bumpstop would actually increase rear suspension travel and I'm guessing also increase articulation.

syndicate said:
...will be rough on your leaf springs because they'll likely reverse-arch...
How can this cause a reverse arch situation? Alot of X's are running extended shackles which raise the rear about 2 inches. I haven't heard of anyone with extended shackles having problems with reverse arching of the springs.

Rob

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I'd be a little leary about cutting down a factory bumpstop. I've never taken them off and actually compressed the rear or anything, but they are there for a reason. Potential problems: 1) Reverse arching, as mentioned (yes, extended shackles would allow this to a degree also, but regardless, it will fatigue your rear springs quicker); 2) What is going to bottom out first next? Maybe the bumpstops still, but maybe also the rear driveshaft, shocks, I dunno; 3) Possible rear tire contacting the rear fenders, though probably unlikely.

Just some thoughts to consider before you go cutting down the factory stops. You may be okay, but seems like the wrong solution, IMO. The rear springs just need to be a bit beefier.

·
on line
13 Posts
yea the bottoming out for a new truck is embarrassing, i have had that happen a couple of times. well i guess i should plan on getting a lift in the future.

·
on line
564 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
I'd be a little leary about cutting down a factory bumpstop. I've never taken them off and actually compressed the rear or anything, but they are there for a reason. Potential problems: 1) Reverse arching, as mentioned (yes, extended shackles would allow this to a degree also, but regardless, it will fatigue your rear springs quicker); 2) What is going to bottom out first next? Maybe the bumpstops still, but maybe also the rear driveshaft, shocks, I dunno; 3) Possible rear tire contacting the rear fenders, though probably unlikely.

Just some thoughts to consider before you go cutting down the factory stops. You may be okay, but seems like the wrong solution, IMO. The rear springs just need to be a bit beefier.
Well...I've taken my X off road a few times after cutting the bumpstops and the only thing that bottoms out is still the bumpstops. There is no other contact. In fact I was leary of attempting this, but when this subject was discussed on XOC xterraracer mentioned this...
xterraracer said:
If you look between your frame and the spring , you will see the "X" has dual bump stops. Totally remove the forward stop that hits the spring before the axle. This is a bolt on item. Then take the bump stop that is directly over the axle tube, remove them. Take one of these to you local 4wd parts store and have them find you a pair of low profile urethane pads that will bolt on in their place. You can drive around with out the stops, without causing any damage. If you should hit a speed bump or such it will hit metal to metal and be noisy. It will not do serious damage. This is how I set up the rear on my XterraRacer. If you do lots of serious off roading then you may look at doing the add-a-leaf or a new spring pack. Your stops will already be set up for more movement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts