Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I had a shop do some work to catch me up on the Xterra changing spark plugs and a few other things (alternator, camshaft sensor, radiator, valve covers) ((we had a baby and working with the xterra went on the back burner)) then three weeks and 1,300 miles later i went back in to have them replace the motor mounts and They noticed the coils were burning and ultimately replaced the ECU (I’ve read on here how that can be connected). On the way home from the shop the service engine soon light came on.

It was po430 and po420. I took it back to the shop and they thought it was just coincidence and the cats were just going out probably associated with the poorly performing spark plugs. That sounds reasonable to me I just want to make sure we aren’t missing anything that could come from the ECU being replaced that would lead to those codes.

it’s got a lot of miles on it so the cats likely do need to be replaced. Going to call around and check prices or do it myself.
Just wanted to make see if it’s possible that it’s anything else other than just failing cats

they used iridium plugs and I’ve read on here that the 07 may actually be supposed to use platinum plugs and those iridium may burn “hotter” or something like that and could be connected to premature cat failure. I’d have to find the post where the guy talked about that..

there’s also a metallic sound now like something is loose under the car.. I read someone describing that when talking about failing cat converter..

· Registered
2006 Off Road
104 Posts
Hey,

I have an '06 OR rig, and started hearing a metallic sound clicking underneath the X. Turns out it was the original muffler that rusted out. Not bad for a 16-17 year old muffler. It wasn't even very loud. Just metallic clicking...

· Registered
3,191 Posts
#1 cause for a catalytic converter to fail is an engine running poorly and not properly burning the fuel mixture at time of combustion. Basically, the unburned fuel will find it's way into the catalytic converter which will cause it to become rather hot and over time cause damage.

· Registered
877 Posts
One of the underlying causes for engine to run poorly and thus contribute to accelerated aging of the catalytic converter are leaks in the exhaust system that can cause misreads by the A/F ratio sensor or (downstream) O2 sensors.

In hindsight, I wished I would have paid a qualified exhaust/muffler shop to examine the exhaust system about half a decade or so ago.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you folks, appreciate your thoughts. Took it by a muffler shop. Two bad cats, rattle was from the parts of the driver side front cat rattling around inside the drive side rear cat going to hollow out the rear ones, aren’t I a good environmentalist?

hopeful recent work done on the truck (spark plugs, valve gasket, etc) will resolve whatever caused the cats to fail. But at 272,000 miles sounds like it’s about time

speaking of having a baby anybody wanna buy this 2007 x that’s gotten a lot of TLC?
Probably goin to hold onto it forever actually..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts