Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Pro-4X kind of new to me. Anyway I’ve been bombarded with information about these cats breaking and blowing the motor. I have 150k on my Xterra. No lights or anything, exhaust smells a little gassy here and there. But I’m now left wondering do I need to replace these like now? I wasn’t entirely ready for this expense and my other car broke a flexplate and is in the shop currently setting my wallet on fire. Is the only real option $1300 for a new set? I keep seeing here and there Information about a design change in them around 2009 that makes engine failure less likely? Anyone have any real world experience you could give me a hand figuring out what I should do?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For your reading enjoyment: Replacement Cat Converter choice Tracking Feedback /...

Others will argue otherwise, but I didn't change mine until I got a code.

You only need to change the primaries. The secondaries last forever more or less - and there not monitored so you can delete them.

Depending on your state - if you can get aftermarket they run about 200 each. Mine have lasted about 60K miles. OEM's will last 3 times that give or take - so you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For your reading enjoyment: Replacement Cat Converter choice Tracking Feedback /...

Others will argue otherwise, but I didn't change mine until I got a code.

You only need to change the primaries. The secondaries last forever more or less - and there not monitored so you can delete them.

Depending on your state - if you can get aftermarket they run about 200 each. Mine have lasted about 60K miles. OEM's will last 3 times that give or take - so you get what you pay for.
Oh damn that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!. 60k miles im ok with for the savings I think I dunno... I don't commute anymore my cars are emissions exempt now that I work from home (in PA). Which did you go with?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Oh damn that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!. 60k miles im ok with for the savings I think I dunno... I don't commute anymore my cars are emissions exempt now that I work from home (in PA). Which did you go with?
Very long story - So I have done Eastern cats - twice on one side, once on the other. The first set were great - fit perfectly and lasted 60K miles before one started throwing a code. I replaced it with another Eastern but they changed the design - smaller, and it no longer fit as well - the flanges weren't straight. I made it work with some thicker gaskets. As fate would have it the flange on my rear cat broke - likely due to the poor alignment. I could have had it welded but decided to buy a new Eastern rear cat in hopes it would line up properly with the front Eastern - but no joy. They can't make their own cats fit.

So based on all this I am not sure what I will do next. In fairness the Eastern seem to work fine once installed, and there still pretty cheap - $220 on rock auto vs $350 for Walker. I think OEM are now up to $800.00 - so I still think either is worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would only worry about it when you start gettgin cat/ o2 sensor codes. the proplem is people who get the codes and try to clear or just ignore them, then you are driving around running the engine with compromise cats, and over time it will break down and possibly enter the engine. but again, thats really only if one ignores the truck trying to tell you to replace them. I wouldnt let mileage or a slight off smell cause me to pre-emptively replace the cats.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dude, I went over 320,000 miles in a 2005 SE on the original cats. I know, not a brilliant idea, but still the engine never had an issue. Perhaps give yourself a break and wait until there is good reason to change them out.

I have a 2011 Pro-4X kind of new to me. Anyway I’ve been bombarded with information about these cats breaking and blowing the motor. I have 150k on my Xterra. No lights or anything, exhaust smells a little gassy here and there. But I’m now left wondering do I need to replace these like now? I wasn’t entirely ready for this expense and my other car broke a flexplate and is in the shop currently setting my wallet on fire. Is the only real option $1300 for a new set? I keep seeing here and there Information about a design change in them around 2009 that makes engine failure less likely? Anyone have any real world experience you could give me a hand figuring out what I should do?

·
Registered
475 Posts
To be clear the cats nearest the engine are monitored and the cats nearest the muffler are not monitored.
Did I understand you correctly?

The reason I ask is that I will be visiting the muffler man's shop soon to replace the OEM "Y" and replace the OEM muffler with a Flowmaster HP2 muffler. Seems to me that would be a great time to delete the secondary cats, while the truck is on the lift.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
To be clear the cats nearest the engine are monitored and the cats nearest the muffler are not monitored.

The reason I ask is that I will be visiting the muffler man's shop soon to replace the OEM "Y" and replace the OEM muffler with a Flowmaster HP2 muffler. Seems to me that would be a great time to delete the secondary cats, while the truck is on the lift.
I have resisted deleting the rear cats because other guys have said the drone without them is annoying. I think someone added resonators and said it improved the situation but I can't remember who that was.

·
Registered
254 Posts
In my experience, deleting cats normally leads to a drone. In MOST situations. I'm sure you can tune it out, but most of the time if you're deleting a cat it's because you want noise and/or power. If you want noise and/or power, I personally feel like droning is part of the package.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have resisted deleting the rear cats because other guys have said the drone without them is annoying. I think someone added resonators and said it improved the situation but I can't remember who that was.
I have no cats, a magna flow muffler and a 12" resonator. It does have a drone, but it is not obnoxious

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Yes, that is correct - the cats closest to the engine are the only ones that are monitored.

·
Registered
475 Posts
In my experience, deleting cats normally leads to a drone. In MOST situations. I'm sure you can tune it out,... power. If you want noise and/or power, I personally feel like droning is part of the package.
I will be getting an Uprev dyno tune after I finish the induction (XTP spacer and snorkel) and exhaust Mods. The Flowmaster HP2 muffler is supposed to have a moderate sound level with low restriction. By keeping the stock exhaust piping I hope to not lose any low-end torque.

I love this Forum. I learn something every time I log on. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts