Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Catalytic Converter Options

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  BullDozerX 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm throwing code PO430 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold). I have searched it and still have some questions. I cleared the code with my Bullydog GT but the code came back a few days later.

Since it looks like I have to replace the cats, do I have to replace primary and secondary?

Can I get away with only having 1 cat per side of the vehicle?

What brand is recommended?

I am also running a Dynomax cat-back exhaust, will aftermarket cats bolt up?

I apologize in advance about this subject being beat to death, but I'm getting nervous about driving the X until I get this resolved.

Thanks for your input, info and comments.

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that run you Stephen? I'm looking to have the job done myself locally and don't want to get ripped off.

#13 ·
Throwing code P0430, now have a knock by the intake

I recently Had the CEL light go on. So I drove it to get it checked out. The code was P0430 (drivers side front cat bad). As I was driving it home I went to accelerate heard a pop and the engine decelerated and wouldn't go above 30mph. I limped the truck (2005 Xterra SE) a couple miles to the house. I arrived to notice a banging noise seeming to come from the intake manifold area and it got worse as i throttled it up. Could it be that something from the cat was sucked up into the motor and bent something, since nissan has a great design…NOT, and puts the cat so close to the motor on the end of the exhaust manifold? I had the car towed to Nissan and they pulled the pipes down and said that both cats where blown out, and at a cost of $2200 for both replacement, I'm going to have it towed home and do it myself.

I have been looking up on here and found a problem with the Pathfinder and Frontier of that year have a VIAS that needs to be epoxied but doesn't say my year and model has that or is effected w that problem. Isn't it the same motor? Im hoping it is the problem with the knock, cheap fix and not valves since Nissan would charge me a minimum of 8hrs labor for a tear down of the motor. Dealer says if it is the cats that produced the sounds in the intake that it would not be covered under my xtended warranty. I just bought the car 6 months ago with 92xxx miles and now have 98xxx (so past cat warranty). I really need some help, i just want my truck back..its cold and snowing here in MN.

Another question is can I just pound out the material in the cat (front and rear) for better flow and stick on a mini cat CEL light fix on the secondary cat that I found on the interweb (http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html) so my truck will run like stock. Has anyone had experience with these Mini Cat CEL fix extenders? Im so frustrated with this truck, never had problems like that with my 4Runner, you could have codes and it still would run fine.
Thanks for listening to my complains…Frustrated in MN

#22 ·
I'm looking at getting rid of my P0420 and P0430 codes as well (2006 Xterra, 155K miles), and was going to get the Eastern Catalytic Front Right (# 40711) and Front Left (# 40710) cats from rockauto.com.

Any reason to also replace the rear ones?

If I were to replace the O2 sensors while I'm in there, is there any consensus on which ones are the best replacement units?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.