Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,823 Posts
It's pretty hit or miss with aftermarket cats - even within the same brand. Seems like your only super reliable choice is OEM but they cost a fortune. Have a look at this thread:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It's pretty hit or miss with aftermarket cats - even within the same brand. Seems like your only super reliable choice is OEM but they cost a fortune. Have a look at this thread:

Truth, but in my case it would have been cheaper to go OEM because I went with cheap cats. I spent about $300 on cheap cats and about $180 in new upstream O2 sensors. They did not fit well to the secondary cats, so I replaced those with Doug Thorley cat eliminator pipes for about $280. Doing that, I also replaced the downstream O2 sensors for another $150. All of this and I'm still getting cat codes. That's over $900 out the window. All four O2 sensors are likely shot due to excess fuel being dumped on them (I'm stupid and still drive it) and the new cats are still throwing codes. If I go with Walker cats (what seems like the common consensus of the next best option) I'm looking at around $800 for new primary cats, and another $250 or so in new O2 sensors. That'll put me all in at almost $2k, where had I gone with OEM cats from the get go I'd be into it around $1500 for a truck that's maybe worth $4k.

Tough lesson to learn...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The thread above is a good read, but most of those designs have changed so how relevant the ratings are is debatable.

I started with 1 Eastern - old design - fit great, lasted 60K.

Replaced that with new design eastern on one side, and 1 old design I purchased previously on the other side. They both now have 70K on them, but the new design fit like crap. I did manage to get it to seal with some thick mopar gaskets, but it sits too low to the cross member now and rattles on it over large bumps.

I thought about OEM cats, but my concern is what if I get a stuck injector or undetected mis fire. I can cook $2000.00 worth of cats pretty quick.

Quality aftermarket cats will work just as well - if you can get them to seal. They just won't last as long. I'll try to the Walker next - someone here said they fit well.

Also - you only need primaries FYI. The secondary's don't give problems - unless the flange cracks like mine did :(

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
586 Posts
The thread above is a good read, but most of those designs have changed so how relevant the ratings are is debatable.

I started with 1 Eastern - old design - fit great, lasted 60K.

Replaced that with new design eastern on one side, and 1 old design I purchased previously on the other side. They both now have 70K on them, but the new design fit like crap. I did manage to get it to seal with some thick mopar gaskets, but it sits too low to the cross member now and rattles on it over large bumps.

I thought about OEM cats, but my concern is what if I get a stuck injector or undetected mis fire. I can cook $2000.00 worth of cats pretty quick.

Quality aftermarket cats will work just as well - if you can get them to seal. They just won't last as long. I'll try to the Walker next - someone here said they fit well.

Also - you only need primaries FYI. The secondary's don't give problems - unless the flange cracks like mine did :(
I have the walker brand CARB approved primary cats and they fit fine

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Walker Ultra converter in the upstream, right bank location on my 06 Pathfinder that has 9-years on it and about 100,000 miles on it without any issues. I also have the rear converters eliminated with Doug Thorley mid-pipes. The rear converters are not monitored for efficiency by the ECM, anyway, so doing so won't set codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to see a thread pop up about this. I'm shopping around now and wanted to see some long term millage reviews of some of these. I have seen some stories about the honeycomb actually coming apart and damaging the cylinder walls...

Has anybody tried the fed MagnaFlow primary? Seems like a quality build, slightly cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have a Walker Ultra converter in the upstream, right bank location on my 06 Pathfinder that has 9-years on it and about 100,000 miles on it without any issues. I also have the rear converters eliminated with Doug Thorley mid-pipes. The rear converters are not monitored for efficiency by the ECM, anyway, so doing so won't set codes.
I have the same DT secondary delete pipes as well - is your exhaust loud as hell? Mine is awfully raspy

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the same DT secondary delete pipes as well - is your exhaust loud as hell? Mine is awfully raspy
On my 06 Pathfinder, I have the DT shorty headers, the DT mid-pipes and replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow #12580 (2-inlet, 1-outlet) and retained the factory post muffler. It took a while for the muffler to break-in and it sounds better once it did. At idle it sounds good, at WOT it sounds great! However, during light to medium acceleration, there is a considerable amount of "drone." The Pathfinder met its demise when a tree fell across the roof. I'm going to swap the mid-pipes over to my '12 Xterra but I don't think I'm going to swap the headers. I might put the Nismo muffler assembly on it, though.

·
Registered
2006 Off Road
12 Posts
Hi. I live in Alberta Canada. When cats fail many people just put a straight pipe in and go with no cat(s) at all. No law says you need a catalytic convertor up in my Province. Also cat thefts happen frequently. Some people take them off regardless, even if they are functioning well for a freer exhaust flow. Anyone know someone who has done this and how it affected drivability on a '06??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi. I live in Alberta Canada. When cats fail many people just put a straight pipe in and go with no cat(s) at all. No law says you need a catalytic convertor up in my Province. Also cat thefts happen frequently. Some people take them off regardless, even if they are functioning well for a freer exhaust flow. Anyone know someone who has done this and how it affected drivability on a '06??
Removing the rear converters is a non-issue; they are after the rear oxygen sensors and don't get monitored. When eliminating the upstream cats on the VQ and VK engines, it tends to cause a leaner mixture as well as trigger P0420/P0430 catalyst efficiency codes. If you want to go the full converter elimination route, then it's best to have UpRev create a new ECM program which will address the lean condition and the code triggering issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts