Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks everyone for your wisdom and insights. With a 2005 Xterra and 118 thousand miles logged, I think I have to bite the bullet and fork over the $1,400 to get the cat replaced.
I'll call the garage tomorrow and set up the appointment.
The mechanic said my valve covers are leaking (I know they've been doing that for a while) so I guess I'll have him replace the gaskets too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you check junkyards around or even further away? Try finding lower miles ones other option also is removing the cats and soaking them in lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks everyone for your wisdom and insights. With a 2005 Xterra and 118 thousand miles logged, I think I have to bite the bullet and fork over the $1,400 to get the cat replaced.
The mechanic said my valve covers are leaking (I know they've been doing that for a while) so I guess I'll have him replace the gaskets too.

Honestly this is probably best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you read the instructions? You put the Cataclean in with 1/4 tank of gas and run it for a while. Don't empty the tank. Then refill tank and run it some more. I take trips about once a quarter with Cataclean in the tank and it keeps the converter clear. WIth 200k miles on my 06 X I've no more problems with the Cat. Some times it takes a long trip to reset the light after using the cataclean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did you check junkyards around or even further away? Try finding lower miles ones other option also is removing the cats and soaking them in lacquer thinner.
It’s illegal for them to sell used cats and if ASE they will lose that cert and can be fined upwards of $10,000 his best bet would be finding someone parting one out

21 - 27 of 27 Posts