Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from driving with Cataclean in the tank. 25 miles and the Check Engine light refused to turn off.
Now I'm looking at $1,400 to have my (California) catalytic converter and sensor replaced.

I don't know what the engineers were thinking when they designed the Xterra, but it sure wasn't about saving the owner any money.

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
Did you try using a scanner to clear the code and the code won't clear or is coming back, or are you relying on the ECU to clear the code itself?

If the latter, try the former. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like it may be time for a new cat. It happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you try using a scanner to clear the code and the code won't clear or is coming back, or are you relying on the ECU to clear the code itself?

If the latter, try the former. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like it may be time for a new cat. It happens.
I've never used a scanner. How do I learn about using them?

·
Well then...
1,077 Posts
If this code comes back though, I would replace as soon as you humanly can. That $1,400 bill looks big, but the scrapping of your X or a Bill double or tripling that to replace your blown motor will look a lot worse.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If in California or New York you need CARB approved catalytic converters, not "48 state" EPA units.

Retailers cannot lawfully ship non-CARB cats to New York and California.
Or Colorado now too.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
559 Posts
ah... sorry about that mate.. and yes.. cats are pain in the butt when they go bad.. I had to go thro that as well did a video on that..

you can also run in with a catclean ( maybe you need to run it 2 times ) and then unplug battery terminal and beep the horn few times..
that will reset the code if you dont have a scanner ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ah... sorry about that mate.. and yes.. cats are pain in the butt when they go bad.. I had to go thro that as well did a video on that..

you can also run in with a catclean ( maybe you need to run it 2 times ) and then unplug battery terminal and beep the horn few times..
that will reset the code if you dont have a scanner ...

Is there any risk to the engine by using Cataclean back to back?

Beep the horn?

·
TNX Veteran
4,448 Posts
Worked for me kind of. Service light mostly went off, would come on for a few days, then go off for a few weeks. Now it's been on for the last 300 miles. I think my cataclean might have worn off.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
IMO trying to improve your catalytic converters performance with a fuel mixed agent is much like training tigers.

You may see improvements, but sooner or later your going to get bitten.

This forum has more than a few stories of members with engines which failed due to their engines reingesting media from the catalytic converters.

If all signs show your cats are truly at fault, replace them.
In the end , this is cheaper than having to replace/rebuild an engine.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
559 Posts
Is there any risk to the engine by using Cataclean back to back?

Beep the horn?
No there should be any damage
Beep the horn or turn on headlights to eliminate any power left to reset the codes

P.s I used it 2 times buy in the end I had to replace my cat ...also tried to do it myself lol

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The typical problem isn't that the cats get plugged with a deposit, it's that they literally break down and disintegrate, which plugs them and can be sucked back into the combustion chamber, which trashes your rings and cylinder walls. There is no magic potion that reverses this. They come up with stuff like Cat a Clean because they know people will "try it, why not?" and they sell their product. Things like fuel systems and some sensors can be restored with similar products, but nothing out there will magically rebuild your cats.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
^^^^
Truth

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,021 Posts
Just a word of advice.
I have never, ever managed to FIX anything by dumping a bottle of magic juice in the gas tank.
Fuel Injector cleaner, Cat Cleaner, hair grower, male enhancements, peter enlargers, spanish fly, snake oil.... no matter what, its all designed to take your money on wishful thinking....
Money better spent on beer and parts.....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just a word of advice.
I have never, ever managed to FIX anything by dumping a bottle of magic juice in the gas tank.
Fuel Injector cleaner, Cat Cleaner, hair grower, male enhancements, peter enlargers, spanish fly, snake oil.... no matter what, its all designed to take your money on wishful thinking....
Money better spent on beer and parts.....
Some stuff is legit, but only on a temporary level. I had a radiator split on me dumping all of the coolant in the middle of Utah in the summer and a $2.99 tube of radiator stop-a-leak "fixed" it enough to continue the road trip with zero issues. Drove another 300 miles without a drop of coolant lost and no overheating. When I got to Vegas I immediately had a new rad put it, but part of me really wanted to see how long it would last.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts