Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Caster adjustable on a stock 2014 Xterra? My new truck seems to have “0” return to center and I have to constantly correct the steering to keep it in a straight line. Thanks for any info.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Cam bolts can also be used to adjust caster, but not as much as the SPC Upper Control Arms ...

If you use the cam bolts to move the same-side LCA pivots independently, you'll get some caster adjustment. It'll probably also monkey with your camber, so it'd be more iterative than using the caster adjustment on the SPC arms; but that's what 21SF was getting at.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Then I stand corrected, good to know.
Guess I need to get new LCA's so I can instal my cam bolts and fix the caster on my truck - or go to a different place to have mine adjusted properly since I have SPC UPC's and still have issues. I hate lazy mechanicis who think "in spec" is acceptable even though the truck clearly pulls to one side.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Just need a place that will do a "full alignment" ... with drive testing. Rather than a "toe and go" like what you're describing ... might have to take it to a race shop, or pay a bit more, for that unfortunately.

But you're right, it's frustrating when you pay for something and they under-deliver.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I took it to an alignment shop who didn't do a bolt up tight enough which caused all sorts of issues (see my build thread for details) then they re-did it and it was still off so I took it to the dealership (they had done a good job before) and they didn't even change anything and said "it drives just fine".

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Im with you man, I live in Milwaukee WI and I can not find a single shop that does full alignments. Everyone is half a*s these day, they through it on a hunter 4 wheel alignment, read some pre load OEM numbers off a screen while they make adjustments and thats it.

Its BS! My truck drives like crap because the caster needs a custom adjustment, not a preloaded spec.

Maybe someday ill take it down to Chicago when I do some research and find a custom shop specialized in trucks.

Thats just a lot of work for a job that people used to be good at.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Im with you man, I live in Milwaukee WI and I can not find a single shop that does full alignments. Everyone is half a*s these day, they through it on a hunter 4 wheel alignment, read some pre load OEM numbers off a screen while they make adjustments and thats it.

Its BS! My truck drives like crap because the caster needs a custom adjustment, not a preloaded spec.

Maybe someday ill take it down to Chicago when I do some research and find a custom shop specialized in trucks.

Thats just a lot of work for a job that people used to be good at.
The real issue is not enough people can recognize quality work any more and are unwilling to pay for it. In todays society, lowest cost wins 95% of the time

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
ya but anyway. You can buy your self a caster kit online. Buy moog if you do and dont be fooled when it say caster kit thinking it will do left and right. Its only a kit for one control arm, so you need two kits.

But amazon has them with prime shipping for like 23 bucks a kit. Auto zone sells their branded kit for like 40 bucks. Its so ridiculous. I just bought a replacement because the last dumb ass who did the alignment on my truck wrecked a set I just discovered now.

The morons spun the bolt side to tighten it down. The bolt side should only be moved to make adjustments, spinning with what looks like an impact will completely round out the eccentric washer rendering it useless.

I finally found a garage that said they could, or know, how to fix what I described as my problems.

Sounded like some veteran alignment guys that have been doing it for 20+ years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya but anyway. You can buy your self a caster kit online. Buy moog if you do and dont be fooled when it say caster kit thinking it will do left and right. Its only a kit for one control arm, so you need two kits.
Why Moog? Are they better or just less expensive?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Why Moog? Are they better or just less expensive?
Ya moog is good. ACdelco is also another one that makes a solid caster kit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trw and moog and both considered superior in quality and strength.
If you follow my recomendations on club frontier for diy alignment that will give you the most avail positive caster(caster is always + just less or more) and it will also move the lower ball joint forward to to usually give enough rough to fit larger tires without melt mod, hammering or cutting. Still gotta throw the mud flaps away. If you adjust caster it will aslo change camber and that always changes toe also so keep that in mind before you start making changes without reseting toe last.
And yes with adjustable upper arms(i have prg) it totally changes what i would recommend as now you can not only dial in more caster but can now dial in negative camber to give a flat contact patch in corners and more speed. And who cant use more speed :)

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Then I stand corrected, good to know.
Guess I need to get new LCA's so I can instal my cam bolts and fix the caster on my truck - or go to a different place to have mine adjusted properly since I have SPC UPC's and still have issues. I hate lazy mechanicis who think "in spec" is acceptable even though the truck clearly pulls to one side.
No need for new Lower Control Arms. The adjuster cams will work on the stock control arms just fine.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
You're right, of course ... unless the old bolts are seized into the stock bushing sleeves ... which you won't know until you go to take them out, unfortunately. At that point there can be ways to get them free, if you're lucky (and patient); but most folks would just cut the old bolts free. Then you can either replace the bushings (they're press-in, though, so be aware of that) or just put new arms in ... :/

Brit's got an '11, so maybe not enough time for the LCA bolts to seize yet ... but it looks like he's up in Canadia, so if rust is an issue where he is, they may have locked up already.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
3 out of 4 of my cam bolts are seized. We were able to swap one out without too much issue when I swapped coilovers but couldn't get the others to budge. I then asked the alignment shop to swap out the other 3 while it was there but they had no luck either so I currently have 1 adjustable and 3 stock bolts.
I'll replace the bushings/LCA's at somepoint and have adjustable cams all round at that point but for now it seems to be working ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I went dune bashing and the alignments off again!! I decided to go to the dealership and they did a pretty good job. Evrything was pointing straight and centerd. But a week later of just driving on the highway and my steering starts pulling slightly to the right with a slight movement of the steering wheel to right as well.
Now I wanna have everything in order before I put the new shocks on..its not much deviation, but our trucks coupled with BGF all terrains seem to be very sensitive to change in alignment! now when ever I go over a bump or just highway that's not smooth it bump steers to the right.
What I wanna knw is, could it be just a simple case of not tightening the bolts since it was fine when I got it back from the dealership,,or could I be possibly looking at some bent parts. I doubt anythings bent since I just drove on the highway. I've already got the camber adjust bolts from Nissan.
But anyone else have this problem?
Nyways i'll be putting my new shocks on and taking it for another alignment which hopefully should be able to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
what lane were you in? The slope of the road can cause it to feel like it is pulling. Mine pulls ever so slightly left when I am in the left lane and pulls slightly right when i'm in the right lane. This is normal (with slightly being the key word)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts