Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

We have a couple of 16' tupperware type touring kayaks and a spare large fishing canoe for if we don't feel like using the kayaks.

Previously, on my last vehicle, I would just throw them on top, tie a couple load straps around the sides, tie them down fore and aft, and take off. Never really had much of an issue with that, except for paint damage on a car I could care less about.

Well, now that I'm going to have an X, I'd like to keep it looking nice. Can anyone suggest a good carrying system they like?

Thanks,

Paul

·
on line
2,077 Posts
several people here carry kayaks and canoes up top

xterraparts.com has a kayak carrier for $80 something bucks

i've seen canoe holders on the internet also.

last time i hauled a kayak i just threw it up top and strapped it down....only when a few miles thou.

·
on line
95 Posts
I can only comment on carrying the canoe (as that is what I carry with the X). Check out this thread that I just posted...

·
on line
366 Posts
I have a Yakima hull-a-port for my kayak (15' ocean kayak) It works reasonably well, and gives you the ability to carry two kayaks up top at the same time (if you get two racks). It also attaches directly to the factory rack crossbars.

Cons:

Having a kayak sideways on top of your X is kinda like having a big sail up there. Not too fun driving on the freeway with crosswinds. :) Also, I had one instance where the clamps from the hull a port came loose, and the kayak started wobbling around on the freeway. I think that was due to driving on some mountain roads.

I've tried carrying the kayak face down up top and that seems alot more stable. (had two tie downs and a front/rear rope to secure it) I don't think you can fit more than one like that, however. Just make sure there's nothing that will contact the roof/scratch the paint and it shouldn't damage anything.

·
on line
45 Posts
I've got a set of thule bars attached to my factory rack. Have kayak stackers mounted to them. Can carry 3 yaks and a bike at the same time..

·
on line
10,133 Posts
knaffe, nice setup!!! i have thule bars mounted to the stock bars. on that, i have the hydro glide saddle in rear and the set-to-go saddle in front. i have a Necky Chatham 18' composite touring kayak. when on the rack, it is about even with the front bumper and extends about 3'-4' off the back. i may go paddling sometime this coming week. if i go, i'll take some pics and post 'em. btw, this is my first kayak (i figured if i'm gonna do, i might as well do it right) and i love it. great stability, decent turning (with skeg up) and it's faster than any touring kayak i've been in. (7 mph easily on the GPS)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts