Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has carried a bike on top of their X? I need to pull a Seadoo and want to put the bikes up top, so I can have cargo space and extra seats for passengers in the back seat. I don't like the hatch bike carriers, so the only other place is on top.

If you have carried a bike on top.

1) Is it hard to get it on top and take off? I have light road bikes, but just wondering if this is difficult.

2) Do you use Thule or Yakima as carriers?

Thanks!

·
on line
266 Posts
if you have a really light bike, i'd be worried about it's stability up there.

i havent carried a bike on my roof, so i'm not really sure

another option ( i actually saw this for the first time about a week ago) is to use one of those bike carriers designed to "sit" on the rear hatch of a sedan/station wagon/van and mount it in front of the car, on the hood and bumper.

im talking about one of these guys: http://www.allproducts.com/tool/yfy/supplier1.jpg

·
on line
71 Posts
I do it, with no problems. I bought two (2) bolt on, front fork mounts and mounted them to the front rack cross-bar. I adjusted the cross-bars to the correct length for the bikes wheelbase, and secure the rear tire to the rear cross-bar with a cinch-strap.

I have driven over 1000 miles with bikes up there, no problems.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
it's no problem... espepcially if you have sidesteps or sliders and if not just open the back doors and stand on the seat.
The lighter the bike the easier it is.
Here's a couple old pics of my mtb on my ghetto fabbed rack... a couple 2x4's with u-bolts attaching them to the rack, mighty mounts for the forks and some slotted angle w/a bungee to hold the back wheel.
It's more work than I felt like dealing with which is why i have a hitch rack now but if you're towing it's perfect.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I carry my bikes up top always. From my lightweight racers to my 45 pound cruiser. I do carry a small step ladder to make it a little easier to put up, the sliders work but are a little tight to be easy to lift a bike so close to the truck. And I currently use the Thule racks...

·
on line
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think if I go with a top mount I will use Thule. .

A hatch carrier is a good idea too.

·
on line
516 Posts
I have the Ankle Biter, but I haven't used it yet.

·
on line
105 Posts
I carry both my mountain and road bikes on top all the time. The further outboard you mount the carriers (up to a point), the easier it is to put the bikes on and take them off. Here are a couple of pictures of my Yakima set up.

I'm considering mounting my cross bars (or a second set of cross bars) below the Xterra rails in order to lower the height.

regards,
Willyswan

·
on line
45 Posts
i've got athule. carry both bikes and boats on top. Very simple with the right attachments. Go to the thule websire and check out what you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts