Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built a carputer...Once you get this up and running...Look out the possibilties are absoultely endless! Everyhting is programed and ready to be installed. Keep watch over next few days for full write up with pics.

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have em in the morn. I have to play in the snow first, I live in north east PA, and were getting a foot...It will be her christining.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Dougw133 said:
Built a carputer...Once you get this up and running...Look out the possibilties are absoultely endless! Everyhting is programed and ready to be installed. Keep watch over next few days for full write up with pics.
You tease!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I was going to go the carputer route, but then was given a TC1000 tablet PC from work. I mounted it up on a Ram mount, installed a CD-RW/DVD drive in the dash under my HU, mounted a GPS puck on the dash (ran the cord down through the dash. Mounted a 4 port powered USB2 hub behind the dash (plugged into the hub is; GPS, Bluetooth receiver, CD/DVD drive and a normal 4 pin mini USB cable that I can pull out of the dash to use my cell phone for internet access (or any other accessory that uses a 4pin mini USB cable).

It takes up more room than I would like, but it give me a 10" screen and I can take it out when I park the X in a questionable area.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Muzikman:

thats a great idea...i was also given a tablet pc from work and considered installing the same thing...

- j

·
on line
34 Posts
Dougw133 said:
Have em in the morn. I have to play in the snow first, I live in north east PA, and were getting a foot...It will be her christining.
All of our rain is turning into snow for you...LUCKY!! How much snow have you guys gotten so far?

I am very interested in seeing those pics and the specs of your setup. How much did this carputer run ya?

·
on line
1,420 Posts
I ended up going with a Modded Xbox install instead.

This is in the 350Z not the X, but i thought some might be interested in checking it out..

The Z has a glove box behind the passenger seat - thats where the xbox is installed.

I also ran an IDE extension cable of 18inches long to relocate the Xbox DVD drive to the cubby in the middle between the seats for easy access.

I had to extend a ton of wires...but its fun and worth it.

- Jason

·
on line
1,420 Posts
The Xbox harddrive is 160 gig so i have a few movies stored on it and tons of emulators and apps to do a bunch of different things. The xbox is a great low cost media center for a vehicle thats for sure. i bought mine for cheap and i had it modded at www.xmodder.com for 70 bucks shipped to me with all the emulaters and apps i speak of.

- jason

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Muzikman said:
I was going to go the carputer route, but then was given a TC1000 tablet PC from work. I mounted it up on a Ram mount, installed a CD-RW/DVD drive in the dash under my HU, mounted a GPS puck on the dash (ran the cord down through the dash. Mounted a 4 port powered USB2 hub behind the dash (plugged into the hub is; GPS, Bluetooth receiver, CD/DVD drive and a normal 4 pin mini USB cable that I can pull out of the dash to use my cell phone for internet access (or any other accessory that uses a 4pin mini USB cable).

It takes up more room than I would like, but it give me a 10" screen and I can take it out when I park the X in a questionable area.
Damn dude! Where can we/I see pics of all this?!

·
on line
15,651 Posts

I am making a custom mounting plate out of a delrin cutting board to replace that beast of a universal mount. That should give me back some room.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Very nice set up....i like!
- j

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn...I have the writeup done, need to snap pics today. I might just put it in a new thread beacuase it's about 5 pages long as is, not including all the pics. I like the X Box mod. Is the in your cargo?

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Ya, make a fresh thread and then put a link to it in this thread for people who do searches down the road can find it.
- j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts