Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a pre-runner post. I'm all about keeping as much space in the back as possible. I had this idea of a rack that only extends around half the amount a normal rack would from back set to lift gate. Also to save space, I'm thinking of doing one support bar going up on each side instead of two (2 total instead of 4) and having angle supports from base to bar, and "basket" to bar. This will save a TON of space. I'll only need the basket to be about 6-10" out from the back seat. This would be wide enough to hold a small tool box/bag, lure box, shoot bag, or even toss a couple knick nacks up there. My ultimate goal is having this plus th "jl" type sub box, the back will be open again.

Possible idea: extended legs going past the basket area to allow a rifle mount right behind the head rests.
Starting this project next week and pictures will follow the progress.

Any suggestions and/or past concerns on your projects/ideas?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
That's something I've been thinking about as well. If you really want just two legs, perhaps you might consider making supports that rest on top of the back seats or even hook into the headrest studs? That will stabilize the shelf (which is really what you're building) more than just having a single pair of supports. Granted it doesn't sound like you're putting anything super heavy on it, but it wouldn't hurt.

Alternatively, you might consider longer "feet" for the supports that have a gusset which will stabilize the rack a bit more.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a start.
Main frame is 1 1/16" pieces. off that is 1' pieces for the basket frame. I decided to make the basket 8 1/2" deep so I can put a good sized tool bag n stuff up there. 3/4" pieces for angle supports about 6" inches long. Ill be using 1/2" for the basket rails. I think it looks awesome right now. I decided to use progressively smaller sizes where larger pieces weren't needed for strength, ultimately saving a lot of unneeded weight. Here's some pics of the work I got done yesterday. I'll add another pic later of it in its most done state which I forgot to take.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
naw been busy. Look forward to getting back on it and finishing it within the next couple weeks. Only difference that you dont see in pics is the angle supports from main legs to main cross bar. The 1 1/16' pieces. I'll get back to you guys soon though. I'm excited to get it done and put to use too.

One point I'll ask opinions of. Because the angle of the cargo floor, If I weld the "basket" excatly 90 degrees out from the legs, it'll be slopping down a bit. I held the basket base up to it and the angle was a little bit to much for me. I'm thinking of welding it at a bit of an "up-tilt" to make it more true level. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Get a cheap angle finder (doesn't even need to be marked) and a level, or even better an angle finder with a built-in level. Place the dumb end perpendicular to the floor, and adjust the smart end until it's level. Whatever that turns out to be, that's your angle.

For a more empirical/manly measurement, install your brackets in desired location, put a level on top of your shelf, level it on top of the bracket, tack it inside the truck. Alternatively, tack only the rearmost part of the legs, mount the shelf, and carefully bend the tack weld until the shelf is level.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a good idea. Knowing me I'll probably go with option 2 lol.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished Pics

Alright guys. Finished this up, just now had time to post it. I went simple and grabbed the same "metal wire" shelving used for the lobo shelf in the mods thread Here

Melted off the paint with a torch for weld points.

What it looks like mounted in the truck...

And a fresh coat of black and shes good!!

Super sturdy, and as long as its screwed down tight (right now with original track anchor points, but I think I wanna change to washers and bolts) theres no rattling. All I needed! Now for that stupid sub box....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup it's as solid as can be! But longer feet couldn't hurt for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cut steeper angles in incriments of 5 till it looked right when i held it up. 10 more degrees (55 roughly) and it was good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
321 Posts
This just proves the old adage that great minds think alike. My design is a bit different (four legs) and for a completely different purpose -- stashing recovery gear. I don't weld (let alone weld aluminum), so I used bolts and Thread-Lock on the nuts.

In the picture, you can see a shovel (Quick-Fisted onto the bottom of the shelf supports); the bags contain 40' (in two pieces) of 3/8" chain, a recovery strap, two tree straps, and a bunch of Hi-Lift accessories (the lift itself is under the back seat along with an axe and a saw -- a tool box and a Viair portable compressor are separate.)

Including the lift and the axe, all this stuff weighs about as much as a medium-sized passenger, and I wanted it low and centered as much as possible. This does the trick and leaves room for other crap on top of the shelf as well as bigger pieces (ice chests full of beer, for example) aft of the rack. With the gear out, the under-floor compartment is just accessible enough to get out the OEM jack and its parts, so removing the rack isn't necessary.

If someone sold things like this, I would have bought one, but putting this together was pretty easy, all-in-all. HPH

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet man! Simple yet does the same job! GJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts