Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mods out that can make this window roll down? If not is there any way it is possible or is it just going to be a big let down?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you're refering to the rear window in the hatch, it's been discussed making it lift up, but the concern was doing it properly so it wouldn't leak......so, no, at this point in time no one has done this mod, but we always need a first!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
a flip up window would be nice but i am happy the way the x is, maybe a split hatch like the Land rover lr3

·
on line
10 Posts
willgr1 said:
if you're refering to the rear window in the hatch, it's been discussed making it lift up, but the concern was doing it properly so it wouldn't leak......so, no, at this point in time no one has done this mod, but we always need a first!
Actually, I would think that a lift-up window should be pretty easy to do. I would think it should be pretty easy to find surface-mount hinges that will hold the glass and mount to the hatch. A small pneumatic arm could keep the glass from crashing down and you could probably find some rubber car door gasket material to keep the whole thing weatherproof.

My biggest concern would be keeping the window closed and making the vehicle secure. If the back window is safety glass, that puts a real damper on the whole endeavor :sad7: Ideally, you'd want to drill holes at the top for the hinges and at the bottom for a locking mechanism. Some sort of L- or T-handle cam lock might do the trick, though you might have to weld a catch to the interior of the door. FYI, a "cam lock" is the same type of lock used to secure that $49 file cabinet you bought at Office Max, so not terribly secure. Might be interesting to see what camper shells for pick-ups are using. Something like this might be the way to go, for example.

·
on line
82 Posts
I would agree that the door would have to be customized, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. I'm sure it would be expensive though. Atom, if you do go to a custom shop to have them take a look let us all know what you find out.

·
on line
10 Posts
FYI, I noticed today that the Ford Escape and at least one of the many Explorer revisions have external surface-mount hinges. Bolt one edge to the glass, the other edge to the outside of the hatch and you should be on your way...

·
on line
1,667 Posts
airbag a tailgater and take the insurance money to buy a pathy hatch and taillights.

·
on line
295 Posts
Not to be a wet blanket, but I looked at mine yesterday and how are you planning to overcome the windshield wiper? On my 05 it comes right through the glass. Don't think there is room to relocate the motor either.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Night in Armor said:
Not to be a wet blanket, but I looked at mine yesterday and how are you planning to overcome the windshield wiper? On my 05 it comes right through the glass. Don't think there is room to relocate the motor either.
who needs a stinkin' wiper

Actually that is a good point but I bet if you wanted you could just remove it and not have one.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
kneebuster said:
The Xterra is the first truck I've owned that I felt actually needed the rear wiper and washer.
X2

·
on line
641 Posts
kneebuster said:
The Xterra is the first truck I've owned that I felt actually needed the rear wiper and washer.
My 92 Pathfinder needed it's rear wiper and washer, but it's liftgate glass was hinged so it could open. Overall a good setup - liftgate opens like on the Xterra(keeps you dry when it's raining), liftgate window hinged so it will open if needed, and factory swingout spare tire carrier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts