Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a solution that would allow me to keep weather sensitive cargo on the roof, while fitting between the rails like the dep hep rack does. While I would be fine with just the roof rack, my wife has informed me that I am wrong, and we need something that would protect cargo from the elements.

Has anyone modified the dep hep rack to be weather tight? It seems like making a cover would be the toughest part. I just don't like the cargo boxes that sit on top of the rails and make the truck 8 feet tall.

Basically I am looking for something like the Yakima Rocket box, but that fits between the rails. If it filled the space between the rails, all the better.

I've done numerous searches, but have not found anything similar to what I am looking for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did see that box, but I was hoping for something that would hold more inside, preferably running the length of the roof like the dephep rack.

It appears that if I could find a roof rack approximately 80x100 cm (roughly the size of the dephep) it would fit well within the rails. Granted a mounting system would need to be engineered to mount it lower though. Does anyone know of a roof box roughly this size? I can find them narrow enough, but they are usually too long.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
How high are you willing to go? It's not easy finding slim containers that size. If anything, you might start looking at hardshell rifle or synthesizer cases.

If you went the custom fab route, I'm sure that Dephep could work with you on walling up a rack. I would suggest a two- or multi-part lid so you can a) open up sections at will and b) not have to deal with the weight and awkwardness of a single big lid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was thinking of one big box that was no higher than the rack itself and welding rails around the top of it. The kicker would be the box slides open instead of lifting. Like this "joe box"

It would sit in there all stealth like and open in two slide out drawers.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am looking for a solution that would allow me to keep weather sensitive cargo on the roof, while fitting between the rails like the dep hep rack does. While I would be fine with just the roof rack, my wife has informed me that I am wrong, and we need something that would protect cargo from the elements.

Has anyone modified the dep hep rack to be weather tight? It seems like making a cover would be the toughest part. I just don't like the cargo boxes that sit on top of the rails and make the truck 8 feet tall.

Basically I am looking for something like the Yakima Rocket box, but that fits between the rails. If it filled the space between the rails, all the better.

I've done numerous searches, but have not found anything similar to what I am looking for.
Look for that one!
Lund 288272 Challenger Series Brite ATV Front Storage Box Lund 288272 Challenger Series Brite ATV Front Storage Box, Truck Bed Toolboxes - Amazon Canada

1 - 12 of 12 Posts