Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the car wash this weekend and while going thought the dryers at the end I hear a very loud pop and watch my air damn fly out in form of me. Upon inspection the thing was basically ripped right off the roof, pretty violently by the look of the damage.

So now I have a few of the fasteners that I cannot get off and a pretty good size hole where it ripped right out. I took the basket off just to see how it looked but it looks bad because of the side rails moldings. So what do you think I should do? Is there any option to just take the basket off and it not look so bad as it does now? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Buy a new one. They go for sale on here often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This.

I have no idea about how to repair that but I do know you should make sure those holes are watertight again no matter what you choose to do.
And this.

Alternatively you could just remove the entire roof rack. I think Xterra's that are sans-rack look neat. I would do it, but I do use the rack. And from what I understand with the fasteners, the rack doesn't like to be put on and removed multiple times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I personally think Xterra's look like crap with out the rack and airdam! But it's just a question of personal tastes i suppose. Whatever you decide to do make sure that you plug up those holes in the roof!

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I've never trusted the "soft touch" car washes. Mainly because of scratches from dirt in the brushes, but also because of stories like this.

Are you able to install a new nutsert to reattach the air dam?

Xoskel.

Too soon?

Look at the "soft" brushes this time of year in the salt belt. They're basically the same consistency as cinder blocks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts