Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys that live in apartments do about not being able to hand wash your vehicle yourself?...ive lived in a house my whole life, and now that i moved to San Antonio and in an apartment, im out of luck on washing myself...and the spray car washes just dont get the dirt off like washing yourself (and of course they dont allow hand washing

now that i have a new 07 vehicle, i want to keep it nice and pretty for as long as possible...

·
on line
23 Posts
Luckily the apartment complex where I live has a car washing station. My fiance also lives in an apartment but she has a water spicket by her front door so we use that on her car. Maybe you could find a random water spicket somewhere like behind a school and use that....just don't get caught!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well Here's what I Do, go to the spray wash and get the most of it off. Go back home and get ya a bucket of warm water like 5 Gallons. A wash device of your choice, and a bottle of bucket free car wash, and a sponge. Go to a safe place, behind the plaza, Wal Mart parking lot somewhere closed whatever. Sparingly wet it down from top, spray a squirt of bucket free and wash. Wash the top and rinse with the clean sponge soaked in water, do this section at a time moving all around as you move down. Rockers will be 2nd to last, wheels last. Now take what water is left (About 3-4 gallons) and pour over car. Dry, squeaky clean. I use this method here all winter long in garage. No scratches. I also used to use same method as a 12 year old doing car washes at a beauty salon while the women got their hair done. $$$$ Tested system over 30 years. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
How about a buddy that has a house. A six pack to borrow his hose?
Or do like MC says, but after getting most of the dirt off at the car wash get a bottle of that Quick Detailer, spray it down and wipe it off. That's what we did years ago with our Mustang in the winter here. Pulled it out of the bay, and sprayed it down and dried it at the same time. No scratches ever.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Just go to the pressure washing place on a not so busy day, bring a bucket and do the deed there. Most places say "no bucket washing," but if you do it on a day where nobody is there... nobody can tell you to stop. Thats what i used to do.

·
on line
339 Posts
I haven't been able to find a self service spray car wash in california yet....it's driving me nuts!

back in tx, you see them every few blocks it seems like.

·
on line
376 Posts
I recently moved into an apt. so when I can't drive back to my parents house, I had been wasting quarters at the spray and wash. Now I'm working at a carwash so at the end of the day I can get it washed for free!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
johnlam940 said:
....it's driving me nuts!
A pirate walked into a bar.... with a sterring wheel to a boat on his penis... the bartender said "whats that thing doing on your penis?" The pirate replyed... "Arrrr... its driving me nuts!!!"

sorry im wasted and that comment just brought back that joke!!!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Enough of that!

Ban SexTerra! :geek:
Hey, Hey, Hey...... you guys know you love it!!!! LOL You cant ban me!!! I have unbanable status. Im like a teacher with tenure (sp?). Once i hit a certain number of posts you are stuck with me!! :drunken: :cheers: :drunken:

·
on line
47 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Just go to the pressure washing place on a not so busy day, bring a bucket and do the deed there. Most places say "no bucket washing," but if you do it on a day where nobody is there... nobody can tell you to stop. Thats what i used to do.
Our condo is up on the 4th floor so I onlytried using the bucket in the parking lot once. I go to the spray wash place early in the morning before they open. Like SEXtera said if you're there when they're just opening or are not busy they usually will leave you alone. It's when you're taking your time w/ a bucket and others are waiting that they get antsy.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys...i think i am just gonna go to the car wash at night and do it then...

TXterra...thanks...ive been here for close to 2 years now...i'm in dental school here...

·
on line
339 Posts
312InchMagnum said:
thanks guys...i think i am just gonna go to the car wash at night and do it then...

TXterra...thanks...ive been here for close to 2 years now...i'm in dental school here...
are you going to UTHSCSA? my bud steve is down there for dental school.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
john...yeah im at UTHSCSA...i am about to finish my 2nd year...2 more to go

TXterra, ive seen some of the trails you are talking about behind ingram park mall...i think i saw some people riding dirt bikes there one time...unfortrunately mine is only a 2WD...remember, i'm on a limited income...haha...ill be using it mostly to take hunting, fishing, camping, etc...not really a need for 4WD YET ...and my wife drives it to work during the week since she works real close to our apt...school is a ways away so i drive a little honda civic there to save on gas...anyhow thats the low down on me...even if you didnt want to know...haha

·
on line
46 Posts
go to autopia.org and serach ONR (optimum no rinse) or spray wash and use a quick detailer after..spray wash will knock off major crap...qd will shine up and you could wax after, if you want..

·
on line
46 Posts
Or thry this out for a "detail"

here's my NE winter wash technique([email protected]):
products:
coin-op powerwash soap
megs last touch qd
prestone quickshine
OCW (Optimum Car Wax- spray wax)
eagle one tire/wheel wash
armour all detailer advantage tire foam
megs interior qd
megs NXT glass cleaner

method:
1. eagle one on tires and wheels
2. power wash and rinse
3. mf towel dry windows
4. last touch qd, exterior
5. vac
6. drive home
7. armor all tire foam
8. prestone quickshine
9. OCW
10. last touch qd, wheels and jams
11. megs interior qd over all interior surfaces
12. nxt glass cleaner, front and rear glass

thoughts:
"new"(used A2Z in the past) eagle one tire/wheel - great stuff, not as "harsh" as A2Z?
armour all tire foam - nothing great on tires, worked good in wheel wells
prestone quickshine - will miss this stuff when gone, any other cheap, good carnuba qd's out there?
last touch - better cleaning abilities than I thought, but still better suited for "gloss enhancing"
OCW - slick and shiny
megs interior qd - go to stuff
megs nxt glass cleaner - better than eagle one glass cleaner

Overall - was happy with my "detail in a bottle", looked pretty good - but here in the N.E.
ya gotta make do I guess

pic:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts