Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Really depends on what you are looking for it to do. For normal car batteries I like my Vector, but it doesn't do well with the deepcycle off road batteries, though it might be the model I have.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
mcampana said:
I want it to charge my battery.
My dad has an old one from sears, don't know if it's craftsman or not. Anyway, the thing is so ancient you can't even read the directions you just have to know which way to flip the switch. Charges a battery great though. It might be older than me.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, firestone, and then the dealer tested it for me last time i was there. They said that it was below the norm, and it was probably because i had extra lights hooked to it, and my winch. They couldnt explain its numbers being "low" though after i told them the winch doesnt get used and the lights are never "on."

So i figured it wouldnt hurt to have the charger on hand.

·
on line
145 Posts
mcampana said:
Well, firestone, and then the dealer tested it for me last time i was there. They said that it was below the norm, and it was probably because i had extra lights hooked to it, and my winch. They couldnt explain its numbers being "low" though after i told them the winch doesnt get used and the lights are never "on."

So i figured it wouldnt hurt to have the charger on hand.
More likely they just wished to sell you a new battery. If you're that worried about it I'd get a second opinion from someone you trust and/or learn how to read the test equipment.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I think for $50 and peace of mind and own something that will come in use more than once. Lawn mowers, atvs etc it's not a bad purchase.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that your battery is going bad and to be honest, I would just put the money towards a new battery.

A charger isn't going to do squat for you. I only use mine to keep the battery in my Jeep in top shape since I don't drive it all the time.

When they tested the battery, did they test the alternator? Maybe the alternator isn't fully charging the battery.

·
on line
1,716 Posts

·
on line
145 Posts
From what you've said you're probably better off putting the money aside for a battery purchase. A battery charger is good for keeping a battery topped up in a vehicle or battery that doesn't get much use.
My experience with modern batteries is that they die a sudden death and will leave you stranded somewhere. It sounds like you've received your warning.
Good luck

·
on line
169 Posts
I would suggest a battery tender: link

We use these on our tractors at the farm and they really do a better job than a trickle charger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts