Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want normal electric outlets in the car, for a hundred reasons. Among others, something to plug my laptop in, charge things in when needed, and basically any random usage. At this point, I had been thinking about just getting something like:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7ab2/
I would just plug it in and keep the wiring out of the way, and have it mounted to the inside of my center armrest console. Ideas? Better suggestions? Better prices?

·
on line
280 Posts
I see 2 issues. The first is that anything that draws over 10 amps through the cigarette lighter is going to blow the fuse. Second, this can be avoided by connecting the inverter directly to the battery. Many inverters have an interchangable cord that you can switch out between the cigarette lighter plug and a cord with clips to clamp onto the battery. I have a 300 watt inverter that works great. I just make sure if I need more than 10 amps I'm connected straight to the battery and not through the cigarette lighter.

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a decent suggestions, any inverter/outlets you know of that could work?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
how much is 10 amps? does anyone have an example of an item and how much it pulls? Laptop running, cell phone charging etc etc (coffemaker, fax machine :geek: )

·
on line
280 Posts
http://www.powerstream.com/Amps-Watts.htm

Converting Watts to Amps

The conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts

Converting Watts to Volts

The conversion of Watts to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For example 100 watts/10 amps = 10 volts

Converting Volts to Watts

The conversion of Volts to Watts is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1.5 amps * 12 volts = 18 watts
Converting Volts to Amps at fixed wattage

The conversion of Volts to Amps is governed by the equations Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 120 watts/110 volts = 1.09 amps

Converting Amps to Volts at fixed wattage

The conversion of Amps to Volts is governed by the equation Volts = Watts/Amps

For Example, 48 watts / 12 Amps = 4 Volts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
PIE

PIE. Easy to remember: P=IE where
P is Power in Watts
I is Curent in Amperes,
E is Electromotive Force in Volts.
Manipulate any two knowns and solve for the unknown value.

Ohm's Law is E=IR where R is total resistance in Ohms. Sometimes you must use this equation to calcuate current or voltage first before plugging that value into the Power equation. Total resistance is calcuated differently for series circuits and parallel circuits...but I digress. And don't even get me started on AC circuits with Impedance, Fourier analysis, etc.

·
on line
807 Posts
I've got a 1000watt continuous, 2000watt peak inverter mounted under my seat. I have it hardwired to the battery and grounded right under the seat to the floor (the grounding kit makes this a nice ground). It has enough power for most things; the only thing that has given me trouble was a fairly large coffee maker, it would only stay on for a minute or so before the breaker in the inverter tripped. I assume this is because of the heating element in it, resistive loads like that pull a lot of current.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Not an engineer, but had to take plenty of physics in college and anesthesia school, so I still remember a lot of useful stuff (gas laws, electronics, thermodynamics, etc.) Still an Econ degree is very useful. Working out a financing plan on a new truck should be easy for you, comparing leases vs purchase, etc.

"Knowledge is good" - Animal House

·
on line
54 Posts
The other thing you have to consider is the transformer ratio. If you are stepping up the voltage from 12 volts to 120 volts you are also multiplying the current draw by a factor of 10. To source 1 amp at 120 volts the inverter will draw at least 10 amps from the car. This is why most cigarett lighter inverters are 120-300 watts.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Maybe we are getting to technical here? A 175 watt power inverter will run like a 19 in TV and a fan at the same time. Easily run a laptop. Sam's club has them in the auto Dept, just buy one and plug it in. I have a few, I always pick the smallest one for what I plan to run, that way I am eating the least amount of juice. Why start up the town powerplant to light one 60 watt bulb and a laptop? Truckstops also have these, but Sams is national chain that has the cheapest ones, Discount stores like ODD LOTS and Big lots have them also. We use them at work daily in semi trucks to run laptops as I am now, Never had even the cheapest one go south on me. Now a days they all have overload protection. Vector seems to be a popular brand. Most of the time, I use a Cig Lighter model, 150 watts for a cell phone charger and a laptop, maybe a battery charger. If you want to go huge, Pep Boys has like a 1000 watt on sale for like $100 after rebate. But you'd have to run the car all the while with that. Go to the vector site and they give an example what unit will run what. Keep it simple salesman.

MC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts