Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the first post on the forum for me, but I have been reading regularly for about a year now. I have read every article posted on this site in the last year and tried to look up past posts about cold start-up squealing.
Have had it into the dealership three times for this annoying problem 1st) they changed the fan clutch last year but by the time they got that done it had warmed up so I never noticed it wasn't fixed 2nd)Took it in about a month ago and they said the belt just needed changed 3rd)Last week I had it in again and this time took the print out of the TSB on the auto tensioner and pulley realignment so they did that. Picked it up three days ago and no squeal and was so happy it was finialy fixed, but it has come back the past two mornings, not as bad, but is still very embarrassing and annoying!!!!!

I don't know where to go from here and my dealership seem to be no help!!! Any advise would be appreciated , Thanks

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Well, I had a AC clutch/pulley bearing go bad on my '02 X. Basically did what you were doing. Might be an idea to try. Get one of those automotive stethoscopes and you should be able to find the source.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Tell the dealer to check the power steering pump pulley alignment with the belt. It took 6-7 trips to the dealer and getting only the tensioner and belt replaced each time before they realigned the power steering. No noise now.

·
on line
107 Posts
startup squeal

My 05 also has this start-up squeal, which is quite loud, but it goes away within 10 minutes.

Since I am not under warranty anymore, I am not so inclined to bring it to the dealer for this.

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the info guys all worth telling the dealer. The squeal is only when it is below freezing and will last for around 10 mins as well if it sits there and idles but quits if I put it in gear, and will start up again if it is put back into park and neutral when it hasn't warmed up yet. I have about a week of warranty left but they had better honor fixing it since I have had it in for this a number of times!!! Keep the comments coming if there are any other opinions Thanks

·
on line
76 Posts
yep Right after startup. It wasnt really loud, but if it was cold outside it would squeal, and when the engine warmed up it would be quiter to non existant. It would only do it below freezing weather.

·
on line
30 Posts
We have a serpentine belt

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I just noticd the squealing this morning, but it lasted 5 minutes....it was more of a constant squeeking.....drove 5-10 minutes listened for it but it was gone

·
on line
109 Posts
yup, I have the famous squeal, squeek too! when it`s really cold outside is when it does it the most.
I just received a notice in the mail about a recall/service campaign, but it doesn`t tell me what it`s about, I`ll have to call on monday!

so let`s see, I need my fuel gauge repaired code 0463 I think,
the belt squeals and now the recall notice, what`s next???

·
on line
97 Posts
I've noticed the squeky belt problem in the morning on cold start ups. Its not really loud and last for about 5 seconds. So I called Gunn Nissan here in San Antonio Texas and explained the problem. He asked if the milage was 50K or 60k, I told him I was only at 28K and he sounded surprised. He said that its considered a normal ware and tear item and wouldn't be covered under warranty. I gave him the VIN to check for TSB and he said nothing showed up. I thought there was a TSB out for the belt/tensioner problem? Seems their thinking is that they wouldn't be making loads of money of me so they gave me a BS excuse not to do the work. Funny thing is he said to spray some WD40 on the belt to cure the problem. Man I really dislike dealing with the stealerships...!!

·
on line
109 Posts
I dropped the Xterra off at the dealer this afternoon, and he called back saying that they will replace the tensioner and belt. I guess they hear the squealing. I told them I thought it was the tensioner bearing or? Also the belt only has 10K on it and it is a Nissan replacement belt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts