Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not necessarily a new Xterra owner, but I am new to this board. I bought my Super Black Off Road back in 2005 and it has remained stock ever since. I had always planned on keeping the X stock (other than a killer stereo) as I already spend way too much time an money on my bikes. That plan is going to have to change, I can't fight the urge to modify any longer.

I'm on one of those long "vacations" to the middle east right now, so the mods will begin around June. I normally live in the Chicago area and the X is my daily driver, so I may not get as serious as many of you on this board. Perhaps mine will end up a little more show than go. I'll be reading and learning as much as I can until I get home. Any and all help and advice will be appreciated.

·
TNX Administrator
20,232 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
Welcome! Keep your head down over there!

Rob

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome.

It looks like I will get to come home soon for two weeks or so. I'll have to break the Xterra out of it's "jail" in Bloomington, IL. Unfortunately, the wheels that I ordered are on back order so they won't be at my place when I get there.

I guess that just gives me more time to get in touch with PRG!

Thanks again

·
on line
1,054 Posts
Deffinitely can't go wrong with getting in touch with Greg at PRG, that man has alot of good advice and can point you in the right direction.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Medic said:
Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome.

It looks like I will get to come home soon for two weeks or so. I'll have to break the Xterra out of it's "jail" in Bloomington, IL. Unfortunately, the wheels that I ordered are on back order so they won't be at my place when I get there.

I guess that just gives me more time to get in touch with PRG!

Thanks again
Hey Nice Duck (your avatar)

·
on line
704 Posts
Welcome and thank you for service!

If you want to add some armor, start calling Shrockworks now. It will be in by the time you're back :)

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey mcampana,

That is a good question. I finished the stereo about a year ago, raided the Alpine, MB Quart and JL Audio catalogs. Hand laid a fiberglass sub enclosure into the right rear panel in the cargo area. GPS is next for electronics, any advice there would be great.

I ordered some American Racing 17x8 rims and BFG AT 265/70/17 tires. I know they aren't the best choice for serious off roading, but I like the look. I'll keep the OR rims and maybe throw on some 285/75s for some fun.

I don't really want to lift the X more than 2-3 inches. As I'll spend most of my time dodging idiots on the Chicago tollways, a big lift would be suicide. I just want a little more ground clearance, more articulation and more confidence if I do beat on it off road.

Then it's whatever power mods are in the budget and some details to try and set the X apart. I keep seeing pictures of the X's on this site and get more ideas. We'll just have to see what happens. I'm open for suggestions.

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Kahuna!
I don't have any decent pics of my Xterra with me, had to put up some kind of picture. Right now mine looks just like the ones in the brochure anyways.

The yellow 996 is the reason I haven't had any time or money to mod the X. Too many projects. Next is the wife's Monster...

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the reunion with my Xterra wasn't all smiles. Seems I have a bad ground somewhere in my audio system that killed my battery. In my absence, my uncle was kind enough to replace the battery, but that one drained too. I only had time to unhook the wires to the amps and hook up a battery charger.

I guess I won't get to take advantage of this snow before I fly to California and back to the desert. All fun will have to wait until I come back this summer. Some luck, huh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts