Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble deciding what to do next. I recently put on new tires - 285/75R16 Toyo OpenCountry MT. Now I have a birthday coming up. Gotta decide what I want - narrowed to these 3 things:

1. Shrockworks Sliders
2. Lightbar Grill Gaurd - allows 4 lights to be mounted on at bumper height
3. Lift - either Calimini Spacers and AAL or PRG Spacers and Deaver

It is my daily driver and I go offroad 2 times a month tops. Not harsh rock crawling though. I want it to look good, but also be decent offroad. I love the look of the agressive tires and they have been awesome offroad.
The sliders and lift will be about the same $$$, the light bar is under $200.

Thoughts?

·
on line
432 Posts
While I don't have my X yet I'm really looking to the sliders to be my first big mod. Not only for off road protection and looking nice but more specifically for side impact protection and simple protection in parking lots from other car doors.

Keep us updated on what you decide. =)

- Russell

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I am going to go a different route this time. Conventional wisdom says sliders first, always. But if you dont plan to encounter any rocks at all while off roading, then I say do the lift and the light bar. The light bar will give it a nice look but it will decrease your approach angle.

If you are sticking to easy trails and dirt roads, then I say do that. If you plan to off road where you can run into rocks and such, then definitely sliders and skids first.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I go offroad 2 times a month tops. Not harsh rock crawling though.
Skidplates ???

Get the lift first, it'll get you farther w/ your tires. Just pay attention to where you're going and be aware you have no armor, yet.. Than sliders..

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What people don't realize, is that even if you are not rock crawling, rocks can reach up and bite you. Here is my suggested order.

Sliders
Tires
Lift
Skidplates
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Lights

I put lights dead last unless you really plan on being deep into the woods in the middle of the night. I have had my hella's on my bumper for a year and a half and have used them exactly once.

For instance, I was not rock crawling this day, but I still smashed my rocker panel trying to get up a small hill on the trail.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That hill climb was when i learned to take it easy on the gas and let the ABLS do the work.

I had only had the X for about 3 months at that time. It was only the 3 or 4th time I had it in dirt.

·
on line
191 Posts
Rear Spoiler, crhome gas cap cover...

·
on line
1,054 Posts
my first mod

remove the mud flaps, lol

cash wise tho, get sliders.

i'm looking at buying my skids next.
then lift
then tires.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sliders it is! (got the tires already)

Now, shrockworks are $399 - Calmini $290.
I know everyone is pro shrock, but is it worth the extra $100? The shrock looks like it has more of a step area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts