Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
My 2011 Pro 4X is a wonderful machine. I love it.

The rear suspension in particular is worn out. My Pro 4x is a daily driver that occasionally goes on photography trips into the dirt. I have White Knuckle sliders on her and that's the only real modification I've done thus far.

Upgrades in the future I've been thinking about:
Dephep drop in roof rack
Shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier for extended trips with a 2nd spare.
Beefing up the skid plates underneath

Which leads me to... what to do about the immediate need to do something about the suspension. I've been reading threads for hours but am still not really sure what to do.

If I go with Bilstein 5100's I can keep it at stock height initially and then easily adjust to add lift later?
Presumably my rear leafs have worn out, what should I replace them with exactly? Or d you just add-a-leaf? Currently I am definitely hitting hard in the rear going over bumps and dips, especially if loaded with people or gear.

Thanks for your help.
I went with 5100with rough Country spacer. My suspension isnot maxout, but it leaves me choices for future wheel and tire options.

I did add a leaf on white X and my truck got the lift, but very rough ride with the E series tires. The flip side is your leafs need replacement ? Then add a leaf may work.
Rear thrust alignment very important. Leaf kits is not a expensive venture at all.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Gotcha. Well, I tow a 4,000 lb boat. The ome Lt/med springs did fine. The ome hd's are also good when hooked up but for all other times they suck. I wouldn't get them again.

Maybe I'll purposely make the rear bumper I'm building super heavy to help out haha (sarcasm)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gotcha. Well, I tow a 4,000 lb boat. The ome Lt/med springs did fine. The ome hd's are also good when hooked up but for all other times they suck. I wouldn't get them again.

Maybe I'll purposely make the rear bumper I'm building super heavy to help out haha (sarcasm)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My boat is probably around the same, 3,000 of boat/motor, 500 for fuel, and 500ish for the trailer. How do you like the OME lt/med springs? Is it a complete kit that you got? This would be the first mod I would do to this vehicle since the sole reason I am going from my Rav4 to it is for towing more (currently rated at 3500 pounds).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Old Man Emu Installed! Before / after GIF loop:

This was just installed yesterday. Before picture is from Tuesday and the after from this morning.

I went over speed bumps without slamming down in the back. Crazy! haha. It's a really odd sensation to drive around in the same vehicle I've been driving for 5 years and have it be about 2 inches taller. I forgot to take some measurements before as I've been so busy but it's not insignificant that's for sure!

So far the ride seems a bit bouncy at times, but I've barely had a chance to drive her since she got the new legs. I can't wait to get out on the trail.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Old Man Emu Installed! Before / after GIF loop:

This was just installed yesterday. Before picture is from Tuesday and the after from this morning.

I went over speed bumps without slamming down in the back. Crazy! haha. It's a really odd sensation to drive around in the same vehicle I've been driving for 5 years and have it be about 2 inches taller. I forgot to take some measurements before as I've been so busy but it's not insignificant that's for sure!

So far the ride seems a bit bouncy at times, but I've barely had a chance to drive her since she got the new legs. I can't wait to get out on the trail.
This is the lift kit I'm considering going with for my stock 2010 OR AT. Your lift looks great. Love the before and after pics. Which kit did you go with exactly? Completely new leaf pack or just AAL in the rear? I would love to have the same result.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The parts list was as follows:

OME-2607 Coil Springs
OME-90003 Nitrocharger Sport Struts
OME-CS061R Leaf springs
OME-60017 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
OME-OMESB99 Bushings
OME-FK42 Nissan Xterra Sway Bar Package
CMP-NP2550 U-Bolt Kit

Originally they were going to use OME-OMEU72 U-Bolts and switched to those other ones for some reason. Hopefully I'll have some more time for more pics today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you lost a tiny bit of clearance due to the thicker leaf springs (6 vs 4) and the U-bolts that stick out half an inch or so from the plate that mounts to the leaf springs. I might be tempted to cut off the extra length of the u-bolts so they don't get bent back (and impossible to ever remove) while scraping over rocks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you lost a tiny bit of clearance due to the thicker leaf springs (6 vs 4) and the U-bolts that stick out half an inch or so from the plate that mounts to the leaf springs. I might be tempted to cut off the extra length of the u-bolts so they don't get bent back (and impossible to ever remove) while scraping over rocks.
Hmm. Yeah. I will inquire with Dirty Parts about the U-bolts. I'm not sure why they switched from the OME U-Bolts.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hmm. Yeah. I will inquire with Dirty Parts about the U-bolts. I'm not sure why they switched from the OME U-Bolts.
A U-bolt flip kit would not only solve the excess bolt length sticking out, but give you more ground clearance as well.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts