Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Pro 4X is a wonderful machine. I love it.

The rear suspension in particular is worn out. My Pro 4x is a daily driver that occasionally goes on photography trips into the dirt. I have White Knuckle sliders on her and that's the only real modification I've done thus far.

Upgrades in the future I've been thinking about:
Dephep drop in roof rack
Shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier for extended trips with a 2nd spare.
Beefing up the skid plates underneath

Which leads me to... what to do about the immediate need to do something about the suspension. I've been reading threads for hours but am still not really sure what to do.

If I go with Bilstein 5100's I can keep it at stock height initially and then easily adjust to add lift later?
Presumably my rear leafs have worn out, what should I replace them with exactly? Or d you just add-a-leaf? Currently I am definitely hitting hard in the rear going over bumps and dips, especially if loaded with people or gear.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 5100s I've got them out back.

The X is nice because you can fit the extended travel Bilstein on a stock X. Then when you lift it you'll still have all that additional travel.

I've got the Nisstec MK84 extended ultimate kit and I've been happy.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I put the Rancho AAL kit on the rear of my 2014 Pro and it rides great with them. They are firmer than stock but I put 5 adults in the X without bottoming out (unless you really try hard). I was afraid it was not going to be that good but I was wrong, I got it to fix the problem until I found what I wanted. Of coarse if you put this in you will need something on the front. Also it includes new U-bolts but you can still use the OEM U-bolts.

Robot Check

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
If you plan on keeping it for a while (years), spend the $$ and do it right. You don't have to lift it, but there are much better leaf springs available. Don't put an AAL on your old stock leafs, that's just a band aid if your stuff is worn out, and you'll be doing it twice.

You also need to consider the weight of you'r future mods when choosing. Call Nisstec or PRG and have a chat.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
I added the 2 leaf aal from PRG years ago. I tow a small trailer and have full armour (skids, sliders, bumpers) The AAL have been on there for six years, still hold the X up but are now worn and soft. Soft as in under acceleration the back end wallows and squats considerably. For light duty I would consider the AAL as a cheap alternative. It will raise your rear ride height though. Alternatively you can go to any truck spring shop have them add a leaf and re-arc your leaf pack to whatever height you want, stock, +2" etc. Cheap but likely won't last more that two years with regular wheeling. Those are the low cost fixes. OME is a good complete swap option and of course there are the penultimate fix, custom ALCAN with or without lift.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do plan on keeping it for years. If I replaced all the leaf springs in the back what would I replace them with? My 4X will be paid off next month. I've driven her 82,000 miles since I bought her new in March '11. Hmm.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
^Agree AAL are a band-aid. Some get a couple years or more. In my case I got 4-5 yrs on mine, towing and wheeling. They are done and I need to come up with a fix. On the fence on which way to go with my 10 yr old rig. That said I just put all new front suspension in soooo likely putting in new leaf pack.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I looked at my suspension with Larry from Dirty Parts in Culver City. I could see where I've regularly been bottoming out in the back (knew this, but you can see polished metal). We looked at the shocks that have a lot of dirt stuck to them and have signs of leakage, especially in the front. Basically, springs, shocks, etc, are all worn out.

His recommendation was the Old Man Emu setup, as it replaces everything. So that's what I'm pondering. I think I could do 1.5" lift and still fit in most parking garages I frequent. Will have to ponder that a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
pics

Pics please when you get that OME installed! Preferably a before and an after photo. I know there are already tons of these pics on the forum but cant hurt to see another! This is the kit i will be doing soon too. Night armor owner here loving that LAVA Red:rockin:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 2010 off-road and i'm in the same boat 2K to spend on suspension lift and not sure what to do :) Please keep us posted with pics\status\reivews of Old Man EMU install.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mine is a 2011. I tortured my stock springs and just changed to Alcans this spring. Alcans are well worth the investment IMHO. I have them at 3" and 300# paired with 3-4" 5100s. I don't have any personal experience with OMEs but I have heard a few people complain about how stiff they are even without the HDs.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I have ome leafs. The Lt/med pack is great. Their bushings suck though so if you are going to order just the one leafs, order them from prg (they make their own bushings.

I upgraded the Lt/med pack to hd. It's terrible with nothing in the back. Very very harsh ride. With maybe 200 lbs + in the back they are great. If you don't have a constant load back there, I'd steer clear of them.

I have over 75k miles on them now. Holding up a heck of a lot better than stock, that's for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
Know you've already made your decision but for completeness, there's another option. General Spring replacements. They make a standard spring and Heavy Duty for the Xterra. Seems like people are pretty happy with those, and they're cheap relative to OME and Alcan. I'll probably be putting those on mine in the future as I'm not interested in lifting it. There are threads on the forum talking about them.

Nissan Xterra Leaf Springs

·
Registered
802 Posts
If I will be towing a boat (around 4250 pounds total weight) probably once a week during the spring and summer months, would you guys say go with a HD set up? The boat launch is about 15-20 minutes from my house on level ground. Only slope is the ramp itself.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
If I will be towing a boat (around 4250 pounds total weight) probably once a week during the spring and summer months, would you guys say go with a HD set up? The boat launch is about 15-20 minutes from my house on level ground. Only slope is the ramp itself.

Are you lifting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts