Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Here's another opinion for ya. Not like there is much new thought on the subject by the time you get to page 3, but I've been researching a purchase for the past year (very seriously the last couple of months) and here is what I've come up with.

06 v. 07- Hands down get the 06. Being this time of the year, with all the 07s starting to show up on the lot, dealers are gonna be anxious to get rid of the 06s. Dealers get a 60-90 day 'grace period' to sell a new vehicle when they get it in from the factory, but after this, they have to pay some type of charge to have it sit there. Possibly why dealers trade around vehicles every now and then, but who knows. Dealers will definitly give you a better deal on something that has been on the lot for 50 or 75 days than they will if they just got it off the truck last week. Plus, the 06s have a $1000 rebate, which I am sure will hang around the rest of the year, if not get better; Nissan has to do something to entice people to buy the remaining 06s, or everyone would buy the newest thing possible.

OR v. S- Get the X! All the X models with power package here go for $24,775; cheapest S model I have seen at a dealership yet (here, anyway) has been $26,045. $1300 for adjustable seats and aluminum wheels?!? I don't think so! No, you cannot get the side moldings on the X, but they are not standard on the S either, just common. And who cares... buy them aftermarket. Only other thing you can't get on the X is the utility package, but that seems like a bunch of garbage anyway (side rails should be scraped for Shrock sliders if you are gonna do any decent wheeling... I keep telling myself that sliders will be my first mod).

That being said, you may not be able to find any 06 Xs on the lots. I think there are 5 of them left here in Colorado (PP with auto). In that case, I'm sure you could get a better deal on an 06 S than an 07 X.

I want an OR, but I have been four-wheeling many years now, and think I will regret it if I don't get the rear locker. Plus, the other additions are a consideration for me; I'm hoping the Rugged Trails will be a decent tire, Bilsteins are nice, and I like the wheels :tongue5: . Out of the box, it is the best 4x4 option they offer, period. But, I agree with the others... spend a few bucks on a cheaper model and you can have something just as capable, if not moreso (excluding the rear locker, of course), than a stock OR model; a lift, good set of sliders and tires, and a winch will get you out of any place you will probably ever take an Xterra.

As for buying one- Sit at home, search all the dealer inventories within 100 miles on nissanusa.com, and get a feel for what things are going for. Find a model/price you like, then email every dealer, attention internet manager, about a similarly equipped model on there lot. Tell them you are soliciting the best price, and see what they say. I did this a few weeks ago, when we were gonna buy early, and I got replies from 6 different dealers (I think I contacted 7) the next day. Every one of them came in $500-2000 under invoice with the rebate (that is $4,000 under MSRP without leaving the house!). We decided we needed to wait, though, so we can put a bigger down payment down.

Anyways, just my $0.02. Hope it adds something to your considerations. ~Steve

·
on line
1,695 Posts
PS- Used Xterras just aren't worth it out here. If I could get a deal like DDay mentioned, I'd be all over it. But all the used Xterras out here are going for $20K+ with 20K miles on them (they are all S models). I'm sure I could get close to that price on a new 06 X.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
PS- Used Xterras just aren't worth it out here. If I could get a deal like DDay mentioned, I'd be all over it. But all the used Xterras out here are going for $20K+ with 20K miles on them (they are all S models). I'm sure I could get close to that price on a new 06 X.
Same here, it was odd they were so expensive.

I agree with emailing everyone, that is what I did, it's easy and quick.

·
on line
279 Posts
RockyMtnX has some good advice. I did a lot of research and was torn between getting the S or the OR. What it came down to was the locker. I could have gotten the S or X models and did the mods. What are you going to use your X for? That should be one of the most important factors in your decision.

·
on line
42 Posts
Gotta agree with D-Day in that the end use you have planned for your Xterra should be foremost in the selection process.

In my case, I knew I needed a 4X4 version for camping, hunting and fishing. At the time of my purchase, about all that was available in Phoenix was Solar Yellow 4X2 ORs. Now, this is NOT a flame... just a statement of fact.... I'm not a fan of yellow. Someday when I break down in the desert, and am WAAAAY overdue somewhere, I'm sure I will fast become one.

The 4X2 variant of the OR? Been a million threads on this concept.

That said, I've been very, very pleased with the performance of my Night Armor S version 4X4. ABLS seems to work well for me, and at nearly a year old, my seats look like they were just installed. Bottom Line: The version of the Xterra I selected suits me well. It does what I want it to for me... and my particular needs.

Consider what USMC has said... and consider his Xterra - probably not a better looking truck out there. He also has an S version and seems quite pleased with his decision - which is a near duplication of my case. I'm not a huge fan of e-lockers and planned to add ARB locker(s) when available... but having had my S for nearly a year now, I'm not sure I would need to in the future.... but this is based on MY needs/usage. In the past, I ALWAYS OVERBOUGHT.... in stereos, TVs, vacuum cleaners, etc etc etc. Cheap bastard that I am (can one "flame" his own post?), I was determined that, for once, I would purchase what best suited my needs. The 4X4 S version suited my needs best.

At any rate, welcome aboard. This a great site frequented by folks possessing a huge amount of info about our truck.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
thanks for the info guys, im still kind of stuck on the S, not really planning any hardcore offroad so much as more outdoor related activity and moving stuff... however living in northeast ohio you kind of always want the 4wd when the season calls for it so thats definately a must have...

·
on line
132 Posts
Hey dude, I posted this up a couple of weeks ago but I may as well regurgitate the info if it helps your purchasing decision.

I bought my 2006 Xterra, S 4x4 with O/D, Midnight Blue for $20K. The reason it was so cheap was:

a) It was end of October, they're making way for new 07's (not much change if any)
b) the car was on the lot for 185 days. here's somethin' I didn't know about dealership which makes sense: they lease these cars from the larger dealerships so if they don't sell them they are charged $500 a month. 500x6 = $3,000 they've already lost. so see if you can get one that's been on inventory for a bit.

They wanted me to take if off their hands so badly they chopped the price, threw in a whole bunch of stuff, utility, power package, and a platinum warranty of 6 years or 72K miles.

Also, depending on your location it may be close to impossible to find an 06 OR model. Dude, unless you're really gonna get crazy on the trails, you won't really need an OR. I was seriously going to buy one when I realized that I like to go OR but I'm not a fanatic, I just need it to carry my chronic snowboard and custom mountainbike to the mountain. I guess to echo what everyone else says: What are you gonna do with it?

Good luck to you homie... :cyclopsani:

·
on line
1,695 Posts
stevex,

Check out my post again (p. 3) regarding buying; it works! Just left the dealership last night with my brand new '06 OR auto for $4500 UNDER MSRP! Keep an eye on the dealer inventory (www.nissanusa.com), and see if you can get one at the end of the year, or maybe even as late as Feb. It may not be the exact model/options you want, but I'm sure you can haggle a way better deal than an '07. Remember, dealers got the last of the '06s they will get on the lot about a month ago (here in CO anyway), so anything that is still around in Dec will have been on the lot for at least 2 months. ~Steve

41 - 50 of 50 Posts