Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Well, here's my opinon:

- For mild off-road: Get the X, S or SE 4x4. depending on the options you want.

- For Medium off-road: Get the OR 4x4.

- For hard core off-road: Get the X, S or SE 4x2 (depending on the options you want) and add a Klune V mated to a Dana 300 T/C, SAS it (swap both axles) and lock it. I regret I didn't go that way angry9:

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ok sorry, im also a little confused, i thought the X model didnt have power anything? is the "power package" a way to add on all power features minus cruise control of the S model? can this stuff be added when the dealer already has the X model on their lot or does it have to come from factory?

i guess i wasnt even considering the X, but now im not sure i understand the diffrences between the X and S...

what is the side molding thing everyone is mentioning as well?

thanks guys sorry for all the questions :p

·
on line
238 Posts
First thing to do if you're not sure of what is on or included in a package... pick up the brochure or head to nissanusa.com and check out the info. Getting the information in a forum just gets you the information second hand. But, well try and help of course. :bounce:
So here it is, the Power Package brings you up to the S model's power and cruise items.

For the '07 ('06 take out the visor stuff)
Power Package (X model only) P01
• Power windows with driver-side one-touch auto-down
• Power door locks
• Sun visor extenders and visor vanity mirrors
• Cruise control
• Remote keyless entry
• Vehicle Security System
• Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System

The body side molding are the dark gray plastic pieces in the middle of the doors running horizontal. They look good (in my opinion) and protect against door dings.

Dan

·
on line
238 Posts
Best way to really compare the models though is to look at the brochure, use nissanusa.com's build page, and last but not least use Edmunds.com to build the vehicle with invoice pricing.

The brochure is the best way to identify what comes or does not come on the different models and what comes in the packages. Nissanusa.com also gives you all the same info just a little different to find on the web page.

Dan

·
on line
295 Posts
Here in Colorado, I"ve used the locker both in deep snow and on the trails.

MC, Nice ASS!! :blackeye:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Not that it's close to you, but Pittsbrugh East Nissan in Monroeville, PA (just east of Pittsburgh...er...yeah) is a local club sponsor and are full of really good people.

Though that is where I got my X before the club sponsorship and I didn't really care of my salesman, but what do you want, he's a car salesman...they are not really likeable people. :)

BTW: check out www.westpaxterraclub.com. We are not exactly close, but probably one of the closer Xterra clubs for you.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thanks again for all the info and recommendations, i can tell im gona like this forum. im really more of a sport compacts/sedabs and sport cars guy whos always kind of wanted to get a 4x4 so thats why im so interested in the xterra. i like how it looks, i like nissan trucks, and i think its best choice for its price range. ive been more of a honda/toyota guy recently but i really am not a fan of anything in their lineup except maybe the FJ which is too pricy for me right now and harder to come by...

im surprised i havent heard about an ohio/ northeast ohio xterra or maybe general offroad club... im a web designer so id be totally up for doing a site for one :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are a few general clubs, but wheeling spots are limited in NE Ohio.

One of the more popular clubs are the NorthEast Cralwers. These guys mean business though. It's not really a club for people who are new to wheeling. http://www.northeastcrawlers.com/

There are also a few Jeep clubs out of the Erie PA area.

The WPaXC covers a pretty big area. A lot of us are from the Pittsburgh area, but we have members in OH, WV, NY and even VA.

·
on line
641 Posts
Whatever you decide to buy, figure out the exact configuration you want first. Make sure you differentiate between Options(things Nissan installs at the factory) and Accessories(bought through the Parts dept., and installed by the dealer before the sale, or by you or the dealer after the sale).

Using only the model + any Options, use this service:
Fighting Chance
which should end up saving you money on your purchase.

A friend in Chicago used their 'fax attack' approach and saved
money on both the vehicle price, as well as the extended
warranty(i.e. quoted at $1900, purchased for $750).

I used a 'fax attack' to buy mine, but in Canada you can't
get as much info about holdbacks etc, and Fighting Chance
is US-only. For Canadian pricing and factory incentive info
I used Car Cost Canada
In retrospect, I wouldn't have included some Accessories when
I was asking for quotes from the dealers - if I was doing it again
I would, once I had narrowed down the list of competing dealers
to 'the final 2 or 3', tell them that I want "dealer pricing" on the
list of Accessories I want, provided I buy them at the same time
as I buy the vehicle.

·
on line
21 Posts
I just got an 06 OR 2 weeks ago and love it. I like the slightly stiffer feel of the suspension and yes the locker is nice to have. I got one here in Colorado with the tow package, and a few other extras, clear bra, rubber floor mats, splash guards (which will come off anyway) for $23,077. You can pay a little more up front for the OR or get the S for a few $ less and use that money for other extras. I think you'll be happy either way but if it was up to me I'd go for the OR.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I picked up the book at the dealership, and that is where I learned about what options on which models. Plus it's nice to have around in case I ever forget anything

·
on line
238 Posts
catalogs...

Yeah, I think I had three brochures floating around for a while until I bought one. One in each important place of the house. I also had 2-3 print outs of edmunds.com's pricing haning around. After I purchased I thing one got filed in the purchase folder and one floating still.

Dan

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Re: catalogs...

Turtle said:
Yeah, I think I had three brochures floating around for a while until I bought one. One in each important place of the house.
Nice, you got 3 bathrooms :bom:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
steveX said:
still doing some research... the S is looking like the best choice for me right now. trying to figure out if i can get a 4x4 auto closer to the 20k mark :)
Thats what I was shooting for but in my market it wasn't possible. I had 3 different dealerships tell me where they were at compared to invoice and they all had the same invoice amount for the same X. So unless they were all BS'ing together against me I think they were right. I got it below invoice and with all the goodies mentioned above but not at 20k

·
on line
279 Posts
Ever think about going the used car route? I searched 26 dealerships within a 50 mile radius of my home. Only 6 OR models and 1 set up like I wanted. Started to look used and ended up with a 6 month old '05 OR with 5900 miles. Had R/F, tow packages, AT, step rails (which I removed and sold to help pay for Shrock sliders), and rear area cargo mat, plus the color I wanted. It was probably pure luck, but if you aren't in a hurry to purchase, you might try that. Sticker was 23,795 but I got them down to 20,889. Probably because I got screwed on my trade. I figure it was a decent trade off though since the sticker on an '06 OR set up like this was about 31k.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Muzikman said:
I always have to wonder why there is a 6month old car with 5000 miles on it in the used car lot.
Me too. There were several here that were used. However they were mostly AT's and I wanted an MT. A few were leased returns, a few were wrecked lease returns. The bad thing is they were only about 2k cheaper than the new ones.

However, I know if I leased a vehicle, I would drive the piss out of it because it would last the 3 years of the lease and who cares after that. Then again that could just be me.

·
on line
279 Posts
Yeah, I was kind of wary. Did a Carfax check and came back clean. 5 months later, and 6k miles, and no problems. Dealer claims the guy traded the X and a Jeep for a Montero for the room.

·
on line
168 Posts
I also picked the S. At the time it was the best deal for the money. I do most my own work, so I added skid plates and removed mud flaps.

I couldn't find an OR with 4WD. They were all 2WD. Go figure.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts