Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. Sorry this post is so loooooog!

Been patroling this site for a couple of years, seeing what you all have to say generally abou the X. I've been contemplating replacing my 1992 Explorer with an Xterra, but still can't make up my mind!!

I like the Xterra, and it's pretty much the last of its breed. And I'm afraid it will be replaced or badly redesigned soon, with the elimination of the manual transmission (i really want the manual!). But there are many drawbacks to the X compared to my Explorer, too - see below)

My Explorer has been incredibly well maintained. See here http://giorgianni.homestead.com/explorer.html . And has very low mileage for a 21 year old car 108,000.

The big issue is the doglegs (bottom part of quarter panel, near the rockers), are rusting through for the second time, the rocker panel need replacing, and the driver's side driver and passenger doors have rust at the inside bottom (seems to be from the outside in, since the door interiors are like new). It also needs an air conditioner conversion (can't get freon legally, and it's out after all these years.) And the 12-year-old Michelins have plenty of tread but should be replaced to to age (some cracking.) I drive only about 2,000 miles a year!

A local shop says it can do the body work and covnert the air for about $4,000, more than the truck is worth but far less than a new X (I'm also thinking that this seems like a very low price for this amount of work. All ohter locla boyd shops don't want to touch it, though they seem to focus on collision repair). Tires will add about $700. I have to make a decision, since there's no point in putting new tires on a truck I'd be replacing when the 2014 X comes out in Oct. (based on Nissan press release)

I've been going crazy over this decision for a long time now. I like the reto look of the Explorer and additional features (below) sadly lacking on the X. But the Xterra is new and cool-looking. I don't dive off road, but I do drive in snow. (I really like going out 4-wheeling in blizzards!) So what do you all think?

I've made a list of the pluses of each vehicle, which I'll include below. Thanks for your help! Great forum!

A. Giorgianni

What the Explorer XLT has going for it
  • $4,000 for fix versus $30,000 for Xterra
  • Opening rear hatch glass (almost a deal killer for Xterra)
  • Lights under hood, in doors, glove compartment, and in visors (with vanity mirror) (Almost a deal killer for Xterra)
  • Extremely well maintained, including underside (I actually paint and wax the underside. Engine has never been dirty; neither has the engine oil!!)
  • Chrome bumpers! (I hate plastic ones on Xterra. I paint the inside of the chrome bumpers to keep them new)
  • Paint color - beautiful non-metallic cabernet red. (I’d get the X in glacier white. Not as nice but non-metallic, making repairs easier. And it looks good with all the dark stuff)
  • Light-colored interior (I hate the gray in the X)
  • Larger rear area with rug instead of plastic (I don’t need washable interior, and it’s susceptible to scratches)
  • Much easier access to rear seating (You rub your butt off getting into the X)
  • Fits in my garage without modifications (Xterra is too tall for my electric garage door, which means seeing if I can modify the overhead bracket that’s too low or manually disengaging the bracket every time I open the door and then re-engaging after I pull in the truck.)
  • Spotlight map lights are better than the Xterra’s map lights
  • (Like Xterra, has premium sound with subwoofer, privacy glass, manual transmission (5 sp), limited slip (rear wheel), tach, low range four-wheel drive and about the same mileage.)
What the Xterra Pro-4x has going for it
  • If something big breaks on the Explorer in the near future, or I am unhappy with the repairs, the manual tranny, good visibility, etc is available now at a great price. If they redesign and get rid of the manual, go the crossover route, or do something major I don’t like, then I’ll likely have to buy something else, that’s probably $10,000 more, like a girly Highlander. (Almost a deal killer for keeping the Explorer)
  • Brand new with warranty, no worries and no flaws (Hopefully)
  • GPS
  • CD (Explorer has tape)
  • Rear camera
  • Locking rear differential
  • Air bags and other modern safety equipment (explorer has no airbags and only rear anti-lock brakes, though I’ve never had a problem stopping)
  • Sporty and modern looking (roof lights, equipment box, and cool-looking roof rack are pluses, but likely won’t be used much, if at all)
  • Fog lights ( Might be useful, but driving in fog has never been a big problem)
  • Rear head rests
  • Steering wheel mounted radio controls (I like that)
  • Trip computer with mpg, more than one trip odometer, etc
  • Stability control
  • Power saver for closing the windows after engine-off
  • Intermittent rear wiper (Explorers rear wiper is not intermittent)
  • Remote control doors
  • Additional DC outlets, including one in back
  • 8-way adjustable seating (not very high on my list – Explorer is comfortable enough)
  • Audio input
  • Blue Tooth (not very high on my list)
  • Outside temperature (not very high on my list)
  • Clutch start/cancel (not very high on my list)
  • Heated seats 2014 (not very high on my list)
  • Automatic door locks (I’d rather NOT have this)
  • Heated cloth seats 2014 (Unnecessary)
  • This Xterra forum! (very helpful!)
END

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It sounds like you really like your Exploder...Explorer :D

My opinion, since you are asking, is that I LOVE my Xterra. I like going off-roading, I like the ability to do whatever I want, and go where I want (with respect to the landscape around me). Also, being that it's a newer car, you will have more reliability over then next 5 years. I cannot say more nicer things about the vehicle I love to drive. If I was more of an Xtreme off-roader than an Overlander, I would say get a Jeep (or something you can easily put 35's+ on); but since you are wanting something that is more on-road friendly with little off-road activity, the Xterra is the PERFECT replacement for what you have. The FJ Cruiser is SUPER nice too and would be another perfect replacement.

The decision no one can make for you is that emotional decision you have. Try and take ALL emotion out of the purchase and make the most logical decision. I almost traded my Xterra for a Prius because it was going to make financial sense for me and my family; it ended up not making enough financial sense to overcome the emotional attachment I have to my Xterra. This is the decision you have to make too. Logically, getting a new car that you can afford would be the best route, regardless of the model. BUT, if you are in an industry that is declining and are financing it, then maybe ponying up $4k is a better option to eliminate all car payments. If you are 100% secure with your job future, then acquiring a new car (payment) would be the best option for you, in my non-emotion-based opinion.

Sell the Explorer and getting the Xterra would be the best option, in my opinion; removing all emotion.

Sn0

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Honestly I wouldnt only be considering the Xterra. The Pro x is overpriced in my opinion. For $30k + I'd check out the 4 runner, the Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited as they offer far more for the money. If you want an X get the S and save some coin. Having owned a 94 Trooper the X isnt too far advanced from a mid 90's SUV except for the stability control and shift on the fly. Just some food for thought. I like my S trim it hasnt had any mechanical issues in near two years and hope that continues. There are things I like and there are also areas where the X falls short . The big question is what will you use vehicle for? For all weather commuting I'd even suggest a Subaru Outback- you can get a manual trans and the interior is larger than the X. If you want to go off road often it may not be a great choice. Drive everything and choose what you like best.

Hello All. Sorry this post is so loooooog!

Been patroling this site for a couple of years, seeing what you all have to say generally abou the X. I've been contemplating replacing my 1992 Explorer with an Xterra, but still can't make up my mind!!

I like the Xterra, and it's pretty much the last of its breed. And I'm afraid it will be replaced or badly redesigned soon, with the elimination of the manual transmission (i really want the manual!). But there are many drawbacks to the X compared to my Explorer, too - see below)

My Explorer has been incredibly well maintained. See here http://giorgianni.homestead.com/explorer.html . And has very low mileage for a 21 year old car 108,000.

The big issue is the doglegs (bottom part of quarter panel, near the rockers), are rusting through for the second time, the rocker panel need replacing, and the driver's side driver and passenger doors have rust at the inside bottom (seems to be from the outside in, since the door interiors are like new). It also needs an air conditioner conversion (can't get freon legally, and it's out after all these years.) And the 12-year-old Michelins have plenty of tread but should be replaced to to age (some cracking.) I drive only about 2,000 miles a year!

A local shop says it can do the body work and covnert the air for about $4,000, more than the truck is worth but far less than a new X (I'm also thinking that this seems like a very low price for this amount of work. All ohter locla boyd shops don't want to touch it, though they seem to focus on collision repair). Tires will add about $700. I have to make a decision, since there's no point in putting new tires on a truck I'd be replacing when the 2014 X comes out in Oct. (based on Nissan press release)

I've been going crazy over this decision for a long time now. I like the reto look of the Explorer and additional features (below) sadly lacking on the X. But the Xterra is new and cool-looking. I don't dive off road, but I do drive in snow. (I really like going out 4-wheeling in blizzards!) So what do you all think?

I've made a list of the pluses of each vehicle, which I'll include below. Thanks for your help! Great forum!

A. Giorgianni

What the Explorer XLT has going for it
  • $4,000 for fix versus $30,000 for Xterra
  • Opening rear hatch glass (almost a deal killer for Xterra)
  • Lights under hood, in doors, glove compartment, and in visors (with vanity mirror) (Almost a deal killer for Xterra)
  • Extremely well maintained, including underside (I actually paint and wax the underside. Engine has never been dirty; neither has the engine oil!!)
  • Chrome bumpers! (I hate plastic ones on Xterra. I paint the inside of the chrome bumpers to keep them new)
  • Paint color - beautiful non-metallic cabernet red. (I’d get the X in glacier white. Not as nice but non-metallic, making repairs easier. And it looks good with all the dark stuff)
  • Light-colored interior (I hate the gray in the X)
  • Larger rear area with rug instead of plastic (I don’t need washable interior, and it’s susceptible to scratches)
  • Much easier access to rear seating (You rub your butt off getting into the X)
  • Fits in my garage without modifications (Xterra is too tall for my electric garage door, which means seeing if I can modify the overhead bracket that’s too low or manually disengaging the bracket every time I open the door and then re-engaging after I pull in the truck.)
  • Spotlight map lights are better than the Xterra’s map lights
  • (Like Xterra, has premium sound with subwoofer, privacy glass, manual transmission (5 sp), limited slip (rear wheel), tach, low range four-wheel drive and about the same mileage.)
What the Xterra Pro-4x has going for it
  • If something big breaks on the Explorer in the near future, or I am unhappy with the repairs, the manual tranny, good visibility, etc is available now at a great price. If they redesign and get rid of the manual, go the crossover route, or do something major I don’t like, then I’ll likely have to buy something else, that’s probably $10,000 more, like a girly Highlander. (Almost a deal killer for keeping the Explorer)
  • Brand new with warranty, no worries and no flaws (Hopefully)
  • GPS
  • CD (Explorer has tape)
  • Rear camera
  • Locking rear differential
  • Air bags and other modern safety equipment (explorer has no airbags and only rear anti-lock brakes, though I’ve never had a problem stopping)
  • Sporty and modern looking (roof lights, equipment box, and cool-looking roof rack are pluses, but likely won’t be used much, if at all)
  • Fog lights ( Might be useful, but driving in fog has never been a big problem)
  • Rear head rests
  • Steering wheel mounted radio controls (I like that)
  • Trip computer with mpg, more than one trip odometer, etc
  • Stability control
  • Power saver for closing the windows after engine-off
  • Intermittent rear wiper (Explorers rear wiper is not intermittent)
  • Remote control doors
  • Additional DC outlets, including one in back
  • 8-way adjustable seating (not very high on my list – Explorer is comfortable enough)
  • Audio input
  • Blue Tooth (not very high on my list)
  • Outside temperature (not very high on my list)
  • Clutch start/cancel (not very high on my list)
  • Heated seats 2014 (not very high on my list)
  • Automatic door locks (I’d rather NOT have this)
  • Heated cloth seats 2014 (Unnecessary)
  • This Xterra forum! (very helpful!)
END

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Why are you comparing a 22 year old rusted-out Explorer to a brand new... anything? If a couple of make-up mirrors are enough to be near-deal-breakers then you really shouldn't buy the XTerra.

It sounds like you want something that is the evolution of your Explorer, so buy a new Explorer or Pathfinder. The XTerra has always been a rather basic sport utility vehicle that has kept close to the "sport" and "utility" while the rest of the market evolved into overpriced, overweight luxo-barges with little to no off road ability. On one hand you complain about the lack of vanity lights or lights under the hood (easily fixed, by the way) but other features that are standard on most modern cars you dismiss.

Honestly, it seems like you are confused about what is important to you - comfort features (including lighted vanity mirrors) or simplicity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts