Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Someone in another thread (I’ve been searching and reading non-stop, lol) suggested these coils, though they are showing as not compatible, has anyone used them successfully?

https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Coils-Nissan-PATHFINDER-Compatible/dp/B00FUT7IP6

I generally don’t cheap out, but if I can’t narrow it down to one coil and have to replace all the coils when I do spark plugs, I would rather not spend $50-75 each.
They look correct, you could go ahead and buy them, see if they fit, and if not just return them. i men the whole set is as much as 1-2 oem coils. although my only concern would be how long they would last. The page on amzn looks pretty legit, the seller states that it fits your model X, so if it doesnt they should honor a return.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
They look correct, you could go ahead and buy them, see if they fit, and if not just return them. i men the whole set is as much as 1-2 oem coils. although my only concern would be how long they would last. The page on amzn looks pretty legit, the seller states that it fits your model X, so if it doesnt they should honor a return.
That's my exact thought process.

I'm gonna get to my shop early tomorrow and drop the rear cats and make sure they're not clogged before I delve into anything else, but if they look okay I'm gonna do those coils and a set of plugs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If it's only under load, it's probably the coils

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's how I feel too, high load misfire is usually spark related. I'm going to check these rear cats as soon as I can get the damn rear O2's out, then move on to coils if that doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, it's fixed. You couldn't tell from looking in the front, but the rear cats were also clogged. They were JUST starting to break up too. Once I took it off and could really look down in there, the driver side was basically totally clogged with debris from the driver side front cat.

Miraculously, and in no way in a manner that violates any federal laws, all of the material came out of the rear cats.

Since all the stuff was already out having fallen out of it's own devices and by no fault of mine, I decided to go ahead and bolt them back up for testing purposes to verify that this really did fix the problem completely. You can see here that they should no longer be obstructed in any way.

Nothing but the O2 to stop the flow of exhaust now.

Then I buttoned everything back up and took it for a drive. Holy crap, it feels like I picked up 100hp. I honestly probably did compared to how it was sunday when I came back from my trip, it effectively only had the passenger side cylinder bank, and even that was partially obstructed. It now goes up hills in top gear effortlessly at 70mph without even needing a downshift and with no check engine light and no fault codes. The exhaust is barely perceptively louder without the rear cats, but definitely still quieter than pretty much any aftermarket muffler.

So in summary, if you have the P0420 and P0430 codes in conjunction with a P0300 random misfire code, there is a VERY good chance that it's not ignition, or fuel injector, or spark plugs or anything related and is solely being caused by excess backpressure generated by your jacked up catalytic converters. Also I can verify that for testing purposes only of course, you totally don't even need the rear cats, it doesn't cause an engine light or anything (which is obvious because there are no O2's after the rear cats to verify their function, but still).

I'm putting all of this, including the trouble codes and stuff, in hopes that someone will find it in a search and spend less time obsessing over every little possible cause, like I did, lol. It's the cats, replace them all.

Thanks guys for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well, it's fixed. You couldn't tell from looking in the front, but the rear cats were also clogged. They were JUST starting to break up too. Once I took it off and could really look down in there, the driver side was basically totally clogged with debris from the driver side front cat.

Miraculously, and in no way in a manner that violates any federal laws, all of the material came out of the rear cats.

Since all the stuff was already out having fallen out of it's own devices and by no fault of mine, I decided to go ahead and bolt them back up for testing purposes to verify that this really did fix the problem completely. You can see here that they should no longer be obstructed in any way.

Nothing but the O2 to stop the flow of exhaust now.

Then I buttoned everything back up and took it for a drive. Holy crap, it feels like I picked up 100hp. I honestly probably did compared to how it was sunday when I came back from my trip, it effectively only had the passenger side cylinder bank, and even that was partially obstructed. It now goes up hills in top gear effortlessly at 70mph without even needing a downshift and with no check engine light and no fault codes. The exhaust is barely perceptively louder without the rear cats, but definitely still quieter than pretty much any aftermarket muffler.

So in summary, if you have the P0420 and P0430 codes in conjunction with a P0300 random misfire code, there is a VERY good chance that it's not ignition, or fuel injector, or spark plugs or anything related and is solely being caused by excess backpressure generated by your jacked up catalytic converters. Also I can verify that for testing purposes only of course, you totally don't even need the rear cats, it doesn't cause an engine light or anything (which is obvious because there are no O2's after the rear cats to verify their function, but still).

I'm putting all of this, including the trouble codes and stuff, in hopes that someone will find it in a search and spend less time obsessing over every little possible cause, like I did, lol. It's the cats, replace them all.

Thanks guys for all of your help!
That is awesome! glad to hear that you were able to do that fairly easily. Now if only I lived in a non emissions testing area!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That is awesome! glad to hear that you were able to do that fairly easily. Now if only I lived in a non emissions testing area!
Yeah no inspection here, but I honestly don't see how it wouldn't pass, especially if you have new front Cats like basically all of us on this board do. Should pass the sniffer test, will definitely pass an OBD test, and will definitely pass a visual inspection because the look totally stock.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yeah no inspection here, but I honestly don't see how it wouldn't pass, especially if you have new front Cats like basically all of us on this board do. Should pass the sniffer test, will definitely pass an OBD test, and will definitely pass a visual inspection because the look totally stock.
Hmm I wonder... I suppose one could try it and if it works great! if not then you would just have to have them replaced an try again..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hmm I wonder... I suppose one could try it and if it works great! if not then you would just have to have them replaced an try again..
Even better, take a 14mm deep well socket to a junkyard and grab two of them and hollow them out. Then if you fail emissions testing, just bolt the originals ones back on. They're easy to get to, especially if you just snip the harness on the O2's. It took me about an hour total, and literally 30-40 minutes of that was getting the damn O2 connectors unclipped.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts