Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I might add a lift in the future, I wanted to go the armor route first - shrock front and rear (no carrier) bumpers, sliders, and full skids. I have a 2007 offroad. Will the suspension handle this? Anyone else running something like this?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I am not aware of anyone that is fully shrocked with a stock suspension. That is a lot of extra weight with no additional support.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
those running just spacers and shackles are as close to stock as you're gonna get. don't know if anyone is running full shrock with this setup but that may be the closest you're gonna get.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Ran a noob in AZ here up a 24 mile backroad to a mountain town on one of AZ's greatest 4wd trails yesterday. It's an 07 OR, Shrocked front to rear, with all stock suspension, and tires. Oh, there was a winch, w/ synth line. He made contact on the front, both sliders, and one or two of the skids for sure, maybe more.

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DBAX said:
Ran a noob in AZ here up a 24 mile backroad to a mountain town on one of AZ's greatest 4wd trails yesterday. It's an 07 OR, Shrocked front to rear, with all stock suspension, and tires. Oh, there was a winch, w/ synth line. He made contact on the front, both sliders, and one or two of the skids for sure, maybe more.
Would he have made contact without the weight of the armor? In other words, was the suspension compressing too much because of the weight, or it was just a tough trail, and a good thing he had armor? Thanks!

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Scott,

I have no idea about the 07s, but my 05 is quite soft in the rear in the stock config. Adding another 100#s (?) at the back would not be good (as is) off road.

I've also made plenty of contact without any mods...tough trails, exceeding stock capability etc. ;)

However, I'm considering a similar course of action. I'm going to install skids first as I have the money for them now and I'm having too much dangerous fun with the truck as is.

I'll add the front bumper/winch later when $$ are more readily available and it won't stress the front end so much.

Seems I recall a recent thread about how the weight affects braking...nose diving in a stock truck for example.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I ran stock suspension (Bils) with a front and rear bumper and a winch for six months. I took some big camping wheeling trips with a lot of weight and passengers. I didn't like it one bit--not on the highway, and certainly not offroad. One hard swoop on the freeway and I could feel the bumper. The shocks couldn't dampen the bounce enough. Offroad worse. Hard braking, avoidance maneuvers--just not what the stock suspension was made to do.

I thought it was a real problem, safety and otherwise. My front skid tells the tale!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I weighed all the Shrockworks stuff once, I don't see a big deal. In my case, the rope on the winch was my biggest concern, so I went with Amsteel Rope in place of Wire and lost some Lbs, quite a few, in a how to here somewhere. But I would say yes it can easily handle it, but yes it will be better when you beef it up. In time I hope they come out with something better for the front than Stock, even OR stock. I think the Timbrens front and rear really help out a lot with the weight on the trail as well as daily driving, if you do get it to lean or bounce down that far the Timbrens take over. The problem is, you don't notice them unless you had em and then don't. This is one trick I did but would not have done had I not had Timbrens in front. You will see here the softness of the landing and the comments from those who saw it. It is amazing what they do. http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/?action=view&current=TimbrenBumpstops-1.flv

·
on line
264 Posts
i have the front rear w/o carrier and sliders and riding stock suspension at the moment and theres no real difference. any questions let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts