Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my 2005 have been soft since I bought it a few months ago. It's been on the ever growing list of things to address. I noticed a few weeks ago that one of my rotors was rusting where the pad should be contacting it. So today I pulled the caliper and lubed the glide pins. I wound up doing them all after seeing the condition of this one. I needed a torch and whacking vise grips with a hammer to get one of the pins out but the other came out like it had just been greased.

You can see in the pic looking at the torque member the glide pin cylinder on the left looks like it was replaced. I didnt know this was a thing that could be done.

I definitely need to replace all the pins in the near future and a couple boots are torn so I will replace them too. I was thinking I would need to replace torque members because of rust and pitting inside but maybe I can just replace the cylinders?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would think that taking a wire brush to torque member, and then perhaps using PB blaster and wiping it down hard and then using more brushes (stiff nylon or steel) would be sufficient. I used fine sandpaper and P400 wet/dry paper to clean up critical areas such as where the clips go and where the sliding pin bolt and torque member bolt go.

My experience is limited; I just thoroughly cleaned my front brakes after installing new LCAs, WBHAs, outer tie-rods, sway bar bushings and links.

The sliding pin on the left looks similar to the both lower glide pins on my front brakes. I removed the rubber sleeve, cleaned that part of the pin, added a thin smear of Syl-glyde and then re-installed the rubber sleeve. Brakes are working just fine.

The photo appears to show cleaned brake parts. Everything looks good to me. My pins came out easily and were still moving but some of them were really dirty. I used P400 paper to help clean up the pins on the driver side.

The one thing I would immediately do, is replace the torn rubber bushings. As many others have mentioned elsewhere, they are inexpensive.

Otherwise, the pad retainer clips look fine. The pads appear to have lots of life left. If the rotors still have life left, getting new rubber bushings should all that is necessary.

In passing, it took me hours to thoroughly clean my front brakes. Worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 2006 FSM (BR-25, BR-26) states that the "Trailing/upper sliding pin" must be replaced at each service".

I asked about this at a local Nissan parts service desk and was told the shop does not do this unless there is visible damage. I was recommended to clean it thoroughly and continue using it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts