Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a Kenwood head unit in my 2012 S to replace the factory unit. One of the main reasons for the upgrade is to get bluetooth for the phone, so I need to figure out how to install the mic

I see many threads installing systems, but I am missing discussion on how to route the mic wire. Specifically, how do I route the wire from the center console across the inside of the dash, and how do I remove the A pillar to run the wire up from the dash to the top of the windshield.

And experience, suggestions and pics would be appreciated. Beer available if you are in N. Dallas and want to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well its actually pretty easy, and can get pretty crazy on how in depth you want it to go. I actually have mine taped to the dash between the radio and the gauges, I have also seen it taped to the center of the steering column.

If you want it on the A post where your install store would put it, find a way to run the mic down through the dash area, and out the back so its under the dash, a long rigid but mildly flexible tool that you could fish up would be helpful. Then you can just run the wire under the dash over to the A post, now you only have to remove like 2-3 pieces of plastic to get it where you want it and they pretty much just pop off except for the handle that needs to be unscrewed.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
theres 2 covers on the grab handle top and bottom pop them off with a flat head and use a 10mm socket to unbolt the handle and the rest is held in with clips

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
theres 2 covers on the grab handle top and bottom pop them off with a flat head and use a 10mm socket to unbolt the handle and the rest is held in with clips
Yes, start with the grab handles. 10mm socket OR a Philips screwdriver.

Next, pull out the door seal. Use a plastic (or otherwise not-metal) pry tool to pop the kick plate (wall panel nearest the floor), then move up to the A-pillar cover. BE CAREFUL - there may be an airbag in this area. I highly recommend unplugging your battery (negative first!) so you don't get donkey-punched while you're trying to work. No need to pry everything out all the way, there's enough room to work. Don't drape your wire in front of the airbag, if so equipped. Use zip-ties to secure it to the other wire harnesses back there.

When reassembling, make sure to seat the little A/C vent properly before securing the A-pillar trim - mine was crooked forever because I didn't take care. And, again, watch out for that airbag.

I haven't torn apart the center dash yet, but if you stick your head into the driver side footwell and look up and right, you'll see the rear supports for the AC and other things; you should be able to drop your wire down there and fish it out. I'd run it across the dash trim below the steering wheel (where your knees would be) and over to the kick panel (as described above) where you can then run it up the A-pillar.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My BT adapter for the JVC head unit is taped to the dash behind the wiper stalk next to the center stack. Easy to answer/make a call and people hear me fine

I am going to put a Kenwood head unit in my 2012 S to replace the factory unit. One of the main reasons for the upgrade is to get bluetooth for the phone, so I need to figure out how to install the mic

I see many threads installing systems, but I am missing discussion on how to route the mic wire. Specifically, how do I route the wire from the center console across the inside of the dash, and how do I remove the A pillar to run the wire up from the dash to the top of the windshield.

And experience, suggestions and pics would be appreciated. Beer available if you are in N. Dallas and want to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts