Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to go with the BFG AT KO 265/75/60!
They are a lot of heavier than the stock set!
Do I need new suspension to run them?

BTW does any one of you consider the size 275/70/16?

Thanks for now.

·
on line
186 Posts
You'll be fine with those tires. Many people on here have ran 285/75/16 with steel wheels which add a lot more weight than the tires.

You are only increasing a marginal amount. Check out some of the other tire posts if you want more info.

·
on line
163 Posts
I would recommend going to either a 285/75-16 or 265/75-16

A 275/70-16 is a smaller tire than the 265/75-16.

One thing to remember when shopping for tires, is getting sizes that are uncommon can and typically costs you more and the choice of tires is greatly diminished. Sticking to "normal" sizes is a good idea, if you can. Some cars just come with goofy sizes, but 265/75-16 and 285-75-16 are very common sizes.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Spicoli said:
I would recommend going to either a 285/75-16 or 265/75-16

A 275/70-16 is a smaller tire than the 265/75-16.

One thing to remember when shopping for tires, is getting sizes that are uncommon can and typically costs you more and the choice of tires is greatly diminished. Sticking to "normal" sizes is a good idea, if you can. Some cars just come with goofy sizes, but 265/75-16 and 285-75-16 are very common sizes.
But it's wider which for wheeling is just as important as height.

The biggest problem is, who makes a 275/70R16 tire?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
My opinion is stick with factory sizes and save yourself a hassle and $ in mileage! And then you won't have to worry about diffs breaking, or having to modify the suspension. Now, Someone will come behind me and say I am paranoid. I have the larger tires and I am sorry I do.
Also, don't listen to us, Find the tire you think you want and call the manufacture (NOT A DEALER THAT SELLS THEM) and ask the tech dept of the manufacture if they recommend that tire for that application.
I went to BFG site and did a tire by application and that is here.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfg/vehicleInfoSubmit.do

By the way BFG said in no way shape or form do they recommend putting the oversize and up rated tire on the Xterra because of the weight. They are tire people, they pay the lawsuits when something goes wrong. There is a reason they can't recommend it. Go wit the people who know.

As soon as I get a chance, my oversize tires will be back down to normal size, and a few thousand dollars later and wasted, Balancing, wheels, tires, PITA. ect. Stick with stock sizes.

MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I still don't think the diff problem has to do with over sized tires (though that is what the dealer tried to tell me), but they also told me that I had tires that were two sizes too big. I think it has to do with the tread of the tires. I bet I would have blown my front diff even if I had 265/75R16 MT's.

·
on line
163 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfg/vehicleInfoSubmit.do

By the way BFG said in no way shape or form do they recommend putting the oversize and up rated tire on the Xterra because of the weight. They are tire people, they pay the lawsuits when something goes wrong. There is a reason they can't recommend it. Go wit the people who know.
I'm trying to figure out where you saw this? Looks like you used the tire selection guide. Using that I choose the Xterra SE (2006 off-road) which only gave me to choices for street/all season like tires, in stock size. They didn't even have the A/T KO that most of us are using.

Just because it isn't on a list doesn't mean it won't work and that they have tested it. They are only going to suggest what the manufacture suggests because it is manufacture spec and it saves their butt. If you put a tire on that is OE spec, then if anything goes wrong the manufacture (dealer) can't blame the tire choice.

·
on line
335 Posts
we've been over this before, and i agree with spicoli. my thing is..according to BFG you shouldn't put BFG AT on in 265/75R16...a stock size.

·
on line
315 Posts
mjm4soccer said:
You'll be fine with those tires. Many people on here have ran 285/75/16 with steel wheels which add a lot more weight than the tires.

You are only increasing a marginal amount. Check out some of the other tire posts if you want more info.
Keep in mind, adding weight at the outer edges is worse than adding weight closer to the center. The moment of inertia (a measure of how hard it is to turn a wheel/tire) is (simply put) I=mr^2, so by adding weight at the edge (bigger r) vs at the center (smaller r), you're increasing the difficulty by a square factor! Add in the fact that you're increasing the overall radius of the entire wheel/tire combo and the effects of heavier/larger tires on the drivetrain keep getting bigger.

Think about having the truck on a lift, you can turn a tire with your hands if you grab it by the edges, but try turning it by grabbing the cv shaft with your hand, and...good luck! The closer the weight is to where your driving force is being applied, the better.

It's a little simplified, but I wanted to point out that adding a heavier tire is worse than adding a heavier wheel.

Let's stop beating this poor dead horse...

·
on line
163 Posts
I'm not trying to start an arguement, but it is torque and shear that is breaking things (depends on what is breaking). The torque can be caused from the traction or the weight, or the combination of both (most likely the combo).

·
on line
315 Posts
I personally would be shocked if adding bigger tires alone could be the sole cause of a blown component. I would agree that it's most likely a combo of things.

I just have noticed a couple of people people say that "bigger tires is the same as bigger wheels, so what's the big deal?" which I wanted to point out is not the case because of the weight distribution, which is very important.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I think we're all getting to the same point--

--Boils down to:Increase TIRE diameter/weight increases torque load and decreases the shear factor design of RING/PINION and splined gears--

--the XTERRA doesn't have the shafts/gears/xmission of the avg --FUEL DRAGSTER--

--So in retrospect--You alter the design factor (for whatever reason) YOU TAKES YOUR CHANCES--

--Not that there's anything wrong with that--

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

·
on line
259 Posts
Muzikman said:
But it's wider which for wheeling is just as important as height.
The biggest problem is, who makes a 275/70R16 tire?
I wouldn't give up height for width. If it's taller you have more cleareance, eventhough the differences in 275/70/16 and 265/75/16 are so small that you shouldn't even bother.

So Musik, this time I'd have to dissagree on the height vs. width stuff. But I do agree on why on earth bother to get a size that no one makes.

I'd stick to 265/75/16, proven and avaiblable in all shapes and colors.

:geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You lose height, but you still gain traction. Unless you are doing a lot of rock crawling I would rather have traction over height. But both would be nice. That's why my Rubi has 35x12.50's :)

·
on line
163 Posts
One thing I think is funny. I have yet to see some mention that most of us go to a 8/10/12ply tire... while the stock is 4ply. People mention the weight, but as if it was a function of going to a 285/75-16 tire while it is a lot more to do with going to a tire with a lot more metal in it so it can take the abuse of the 4 wheeling.

You can get 285/75 tires that are 4/6ply that aren't that much heavier than the stock OR tire, but they aren't going to hold up to rocks and dirt roads like a 10ply tire will (current BFG A/T KO's are 10ply)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Spicoli said:
One thing I think is funny. I have yet to see some mention that most of us go to a 8/10/12ply tire... while the stock is 4ply. People mention the weight, but as if it was a function of going to a 285/75-16 tire while it is a lot more to do with going to a tire with a lot more metal in it so it can take the abuse of the 4 wheeling.

You can get 285/75 tires that are 4/6ply that aren't that much heavier than the stock OR tire, but they aren't going to hold up to rocks and dirt roads like a 10ply tire will (current BFG A/T KO's are 10ply)
Yea I mentioned that somewhere because I mentioned it to BFG Tech when they asked why in the hell I went with that size/overweight tire.

The fact is, no one will get letter from Nissan or any tire manufacture that recommends that size/construction tire on our vehicles, S,SE,or OR. No matter.

It perplexes me people who Mountain-bike are even saying lager/heavier tires don't make a difference???? I'm shaking my head fast like Daffy Duck in a cartoon.

I guarantee you a larger, heavier tire will trash a diff much faster under same conditions than a smaller lighter tire. No physics classes needed.

Ever go get a bigger hammer?

MC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts