Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 06 x trim and t didnt come with fog lights. i was wondering if instead of fog lights i could put another set of drive lights. if so and i replaced the turn signal stalk, would the fog switch activate the drive lights? or would i have to run new wires. if thats the case i might just mount them in front of the grill or something and get fog lights anyway. any advice would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What Lights are you looking to use? Brand and Watttage?

Check the fuse used for the foglights relay. IIRC prob a 15amp.

Then simple rule of wiring: Amps=Watt/Volts

So the wattage of the two lights combined, divided by 14v (alternator output) = your average amperage. If that number exceeds the fuse, then your a no-go, other that that, then like 21SF said, GTG mate.

Cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
As long as the stock wiring can handle the new lights draw. Should be gtg.
Agree - I hooked up the Optronics 3 inch ovals 55w halogen with no problem. Kept the harness in tact and made my own connectors. Pretty sure the factory relay is the same as typical fog light relay 30/85/86/87, and has its own fuse. I have not had any issues.

Just don't overload the factory setup and you should be fine.

PS - I have a fire extinguisher onboard, so no worries...:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Agree - I hooked up the Optronics 3 inch ovals 55w halogen with no problem. Kept the harness in tact and made my own connectors. Pretty sure the factory relay is the same as typical fog light relay 30/85/86/87, and has its own fuse. I have not had any issues.

Just don't overload the factory setup and you should be fine.

PS - I have a fire extinguisher onboard, so no worries...:eek:ccasion5:
The relay in the fog light bypass write-up by macguyvermedic indicates that it is a 30 amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts