Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
‘07 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding around for a while with the very bottom leaf on both leaf packs broken. Is there any way I can replace just the bottom leaf, or add in an AAL kit to replace just the bottom leaf? The most off-roading I do is driving in a field, so it doesn't have to be trail-ready. I just need something that won't bottom out every time I drive over a pothole or a sizable dip in the road. Any input helps, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,035 Posts
You might have a hard time finding a single aal that is the same or similar length to replace the broken one. Most of the ones you find are short. If you can find a set of used ones, you could take the leaves from there.
Even with a full pack though, my X would bottom out over speed bumps, with age it just weakens.
Adding an extra leaf in addition to replacing the broken one would help.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You can certainly replace a leaf - if you can find one - I have done it in the past on old pickups and its pretty easy actually - you can just take it apart by removing the center bolt and installing a new one when your done. However the width of the Xterra leafs are odd sized, so you just about need to find a used set of Xterra leaf's. By the time you go to that amount of trouble you might as well replace the whole thing unless you can find used ones near you for next to no cost.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like the whole leaf packs have weakened so replacing just the broken leafs won't keep you from bottoming frequently.

·
Registered
‘07 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can certainly replace a leaf - if you can find one - I have done it in the past on old pickups and its pretty easy actually - you can just take it apart by removing the center bolt and installing a new one when your done. However the width of the Xterra leafs are odd sized, so you just about need to find a used set of Xterra leaf's. By the time you go to that amount of trouble you might as well replace the whole thing unless you can find used ones near you for next to no cost.
Is there anywhere that sells a single leaf online? Or could I just buy an AAL kit and take out the broken leaf and put in the AAL? there's not too many scrapyards in my area, and none of them have any Xterras. It just bothers me every time I hit a pothole it bottoms out in the rear.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Is there anywhere that sells a single leaf online? Or could I just buy an AAL kit and take out the broken leaf and put in the AAL? there's not too many scrapyards in my area, and none of them have any Xterras. It just bothers me every time I hit a pothole it bottoms out in the rear.
Where are you located? I just took off my stock/aal pack to install Alcans.
I want to keep the aal but I could sell you the single leaf really cheap if you’re close by.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I may have a leaf as well. I'm in the process of combining an Xterra leaf pack with a Frontier leaf pack. I still need to figure out what individual leaves I can use, and what will be left over.

·
Registered
‘07 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you located? I just took off my stock/aal pack to install Alcans.
I want to keep the aal but I could sell you the single leaf really cheap if you’re close by.
I’m located in NW Pennsylvania. Hope you’re close by, you’d be a lifesaver lol.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,229 Posts
Isn't the very bottom leaf the overload leaf? If so most guys who put an AAL just remove that leaf. I've put an AAL on my stock leafsprings and the overload leafs are just sitting in my garage. I use em as weights for an arm workout once in a while! I'm in California or you could just have them.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,293 Posts
Yes the thick one that doesn’t flex is the overload from the factory. Mine is in the back yard conducting a corrosion experiment. Also in California.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts