Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to Xterras. I bought a new 2013 Pro-4X (manual tranny which took forever to find one) yesterday. I want to do this http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/4_wd_basic_coilover_package/ as my first mod. Can I do it myself in the driveway? I have the tools that would be needed and I have no issue with the rear (I'm doing the AAL instead of shackles) because i have lifted leaf spring trucks before. But I have never delt with IFS. Are there any tricks to it? Also it says the kit can do 1" to 3", I want to do 2". It appears you adjust it by turning the ring on the threaded part. Do you do this before install or after? And what keeps it from moving up or down over time and hard use?

thanks for any help

I should add that I am also going to install the shims in the rear and get the cam bolt and ublot flip kits at the same time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you have the tools then yes, it would be an easy driveway install. There are literally 9 bolts per side, pull out the old put in the new. You can adjust them with the spanner wrenches on the vehicle to whatever ride height you like. They do not loosen because there is a locking ring on the bottom that you tighten up to the top ring.

The biggest issue I had was some of the bolts were insanely tight. In particular, my lower coil over bolt which required a 3 foot cheater bar on my breaker bar before it would budge. Other than that, an impact gun would speed things up, and a full set of metric wrenches up to 22mm I believe would do the trick. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info .... can you make the adjustment before install? I guess I'm trying to ask, do the instructions tell you where to set the ring to give you 2" of lift before you install it?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
that is an easy driveway install. PB blast everything a couple times a day for a couple days before you do it just to ensure the bolts are not completely frozen. Installing the coilovers consists of removing 6 lugs and then 5 bolts/nuts per side (if memory serves me correctly). Installing is the opposite of removal. The rears are 6 lugs plus 5 bolts per side as well I believe.

If you are going for the AAL pick up the extra U bolts as well. My stock u bolts were not long enough after putting in the AAL which caused me to have to do the rear twice.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
thanks for the info .... can you make the adjustment before install? I guess I'm trying to ask, do the instructions tell you where to set the ring to give you 2" of lift before you install it?
theres no specific settings because its going to be different on each truck. it all depends on how much weight you have on the vehicle, etc....you have to install them and set the truck on the ground, let them settle, see where the height is at and then adjust from there. its a good idea to get a stock measurement from ground to fender to use as a baseline to know how much lift you're getting.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
When I got my coilovers from PRG they were preset, and I measured 2" lift after install. You don't need to cut any bolts until you upgrade the UCA(upper control arm). Make sure you have a couple of beefy C-clamps for the rear leafs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would just install the coilovers and then count threads/measure the distance to each locking ring from the bottom of the adjustment range. Adjust them to be equal at first, and then you can tweak them from there. Remember that 1/4" of adjustment equals about 1/2" of lift IIRC from my install. Once they are installed, you can adjust them to make the truck sit level or rake it slightly based on your preference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts