Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my front Shrock bumper a while ago, and without any cutting, opening or holes, as there were no plans at all for a winch. But now, plans changed. So is it possible to cut openings through the bumper to install a winch , or is it very hard due to the thickness ? Maybe I can get a template from Shrock if available, but before getting there I would like to know if it's OK to cut without damaging the bumper, as it won't be factory done like at Shrock.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You need to ask Shrock how they built the bumper. Because you specifically asked that there be no space provided for a winch, they may have forgone some of the thicker metal and the supporting plates that provide the strength to mount a winch in the bumper.

Cutting through it won't be a problem although you'll probably have to pay someone to do it as your standard angle grinder etc etc is not going to do it.

·
on line
6,064 Posts
If they did in fact leave out a few things because you specified no winch, you might be able to cut/weld in a receiver hitch for the front. Winch would require a cradle but would be easily removed for daily driving, and easily installed to winch if needed.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called them, and no extra bracing on winch cut model, exactly same thing. They can give me dimensions for mounting holes and front opening. By the way, I saw on some pictures a top opening, which is not wide enough to install some tall winch, but enough to see the roller inside. Any idea for the reason of that opening and if I need to cut that for a low profile winch that would fit inside the bumper? Or is it to access the engage/disengage switch ?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I called them, and no extra bracing on winch cut model, exactly same thing. They can give me dimensions for mounting holes and front opening. By the way, I saw on some pictures a top opening, which is not wide enough to install some tall winch, but enough to see the roller inside. Any idea for the reason of that opening and if I need to cut that for a low profile winch that would fit inside the bumper? Or is it to access the engage/disengage switch ?

Some winches may have engage switches up high for that cutout to work. The point of the window is to see the spooled cable. Makes it's simple to see how it's winding up and if it needs to be adjusted or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts