Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized it was bent, apparently ran over a rock.
It's the black pan its bent in.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, that's the oil pan. That's going to be a PITA to change and that dent is in a real scary place as that part of the pan is where the oil pick up is going to be. I don't know exactly where in that point and how close to the bottom it is, but you might starve the engine of oil.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
waiting on skids in January. Waiting for money to come in. Going to change this ASAP.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is it pain in the ass to swap out? Should I just swallow the cost and have a shop do it?

·
on line
527 Posts
Im not 100% but I think that the cross member might be in the way if not then it shouldnt be too bad just make sure you get a new gasket and make sure you gett all of the old gasket material off the block or it will leak. when I have done things like this I have used a little silicone also

·
on line
15,651 Posts
^^^ I think the oil pan sits on the cross member which will make it a real PITA. If it does not, and you can get to the rear bolts, it would be pretty easy.

·
on line
735 Posts
take it off, clean it out, and tap it back out with a hammer and a piece of wood. Whatever the gasket cost is is all the more it ought to cost you. the pick-up tube is surely in the lowest part of the sump so the oil pump pick-up screen is probably unharmed.

·
on line
3 Posts
THE PART NUMBER IS 11110-EA210 SHOULD ME ABOUT 82 DOLLARS. NOW THAT JUST FOR THE LOWER OIL PAN(THE STAMPED STEEL ONE YOU SHOWED IN THE PIC), ALSO THERES NO GASKET JUST RTV.

·
on line
63 Posts
Looks a lot easier than doing it on a domestic truck, so consider yourself lucky :bootyshake:

·
on line
807 Posts
As others have said, if the cross member is in the way, they you will have some issues, either the cross member will have to come out, or the engine will have to move up. If its not in the way, they it is a super simple swap, just drain the oil, unbolt the pan, clean off the gasket material, apply new gasket material, bolt the new pan on, and fill the truck up with oil.

·
on line
131 Posts
The rear cross member is only held in by four bolts. In the first pic you can see two of them on the left (right side of the truck). Remove those and the crossmember falls out. It doesn't get much easier.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Ok, i can't see the pictures cause I am at work and there is some sort of filtering going on but the lower pan should be easy as this snippet from the SM shows for at least an 07 model. If it is the upper then it will be a major PITA but the lower I assume is what got the damage since it hangs super low and the upper one is way higher..

REMOVAL (LOWER)
WARNING:
To avoid the danger of being scalded, do not drain engine oil when engine is hot.
1. Drain engine oil. Refer to LU-9, "Changing Engine Oil" .
2. Remove oil pan (lower) as follows:
a. Loosen bolts with power tool in reverse order as shown to
remove.

b. Remove oil pan (lower) using Tool.
CAUTION:
 Be careful not to damage the mating surfaces.
 Do not insert screwdriver, this will damage the mating
surfaces.
NOTE:
Slide seal cutter (1) by tapping on the side (2) of the tool with
hammer.
INSPECTION AFTER REMOVAL
Clean oil strainer if any object attached.
INSTALLATION (LOWER)
1. Install oil pan (lower) as follows:
a. Use scraper to remove old liquid gasket from mating surfaces.
 Also remove old liquid gasket from mating surface of oil pan
(upper).
 Remove old liquid gasket from the bolt holes and thread.
CAUTION:
Do not scratch or damage the mating surfaces when cleaning
off old liquid gasket.
b. Apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket using Tool to the oil
pan (lower) as shown.
Use Genuine RTV Silicone Sealant or equivalent. Refer to
GI-47, "Recommended Chemical Products and Sealants" .
CAUTION:
Attaching should be done within 5 minutes after coating.
c. Install oil pan (lower).
 Tighten bolts in numerical order as shown.
2. Install oil pan drain plug. Refer to EM-27, "Removal and Installation" .
3. Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
NOTE:
At least 30 minutes after oil pan is installed, pour engine oil.
Tool number : KV10111100 (J-37228)
WBIA0566E
PBIC2888E
Tool number : WS39930000 ( — )
PBIC2889E
PBIC2890E
OIL PAN AND OIL STRAINER
EM-29
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
A
EM
Revision: September 2006 2007 Xterra
INSPECTION AFTER INSTALLATION
1. Check engine oil level and adjust engine oil. Refer to LU-7, "ENGINE OIL" .
2. Start engine, and check there is no leak of engine oil.
3. Stop engine and wait for 10 minutes.
4. Check engine oil level again. Refer to LU-7, "ENGINE OIL" .

·
on line
2,877 Posts
ok, just looked over a slow RDP connection and that is definately the lower oil pan which is easy to remove as long as you don't mind being on your back for a bit...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts