Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I just completed our NW adventure and he obtained enough material to complete his obligation with Nissan for the loan of Fox the 2011 PRO4X Xterra. He has till October to use it though and likes it so much that he wants to keep it if he can. He has a Jeep Grand Chrokee that he is towing behind his motor home. Fox would need to replace that.

Is anyone flat towing an Xterra behind a motor home? If so what products are you using to do this and how do they work?

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^ are you sure about this ryan? in neutral the drive train spins freely....and the front DS is only connected to the rest of the drivetrain in 4wd....so it would free spin as well.....if i were to go out and pop my truck into neutral on a hill and shut off the truck....it would roll freely down the hill until i hit something.....

if you disconnected the driveshafts...and could find a towbar that would fit the X...you could DEFINITLEY flat tow the X. it would also cause your drivetrain to wear out less quickly than if you were to flat tow with the driveshafts connected with the rig in neutral....

flat towing a 4x4 jeep:

i've never ever considered flat towing my truck....maybe someone who has done so will chime in...

·
on line
3,673 Posts
Saturn allow a flat tow for 300 miles with the transmission in neutral. You go through a sequence before driving to put all the fluid st the top of the transmission. An xterra doesn't do that, so you can flat tow in neutral, but the internals of the transmission will spin but the fluid won't be there. Like Rook said, you can Definately flat tow with the driveshafts disconnected. Other than doing that, I'm fairly certain you can't flat tow it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
i just came back from the fair and saw a first gen with a tow attachment.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
From that PDF:

Xterra Off Road 4WD - Place transfer case in the 2H range. Idle engine in neutral for 2 minutes every 500 miles.

I hope the motor home has a trip odometer.
Actually, that is for a Manual Trans. It is a NO for an Auto Trans.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll let you all know everything I think I know about flat towing. Don't worry it won't take long. Back in the late 70's when I stared whelling and into the 80's I did some flat towing. The problem is oiling. Different trans and t-cases oil differently. With a t-case in nuetral you did not many times have oiling to the rear output. Some old timers would pull the t-case apart and have small paddles installed to splash oil to the rear out put. Others were designed with a pump that would be turned and provide oiling. In the olden days most trucks had lock outs so you didn't have to worry abount the front driveshaft. Folks tried a quick disconnect drive shaft but it had trouble with the mud and rocks and snow and such 4x4 drivers like to play in.

Then came the almost extinction of lock outs on 4x4's. But lots of folks liked to flat tow behind motor homes so a bunch of stuff was made. Jeep and GM both designed stuff to oil properly while being flat towed. Other companies developed external pumps for proper oiling on some other makes. And the quick disconnect drive shaft is still around. Some power steering systems have trouble operating with out the pump turning also.

Now if a feller had a 1st gen with a front sas and after market t-case he might be set up well to flat tow "if" the power steering is not problem or if it's manageable. Or if like the book says it is manual shift and he is good about stopping every few hundred miles and doing the oiling dance.

I have found products offered at http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/towing/towing_products_by_remco.html and at Remco's home site. I was hoping folks had used the products before and might have some information.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
I wouldn't flat tow even a manual transmission, let alone an auto. Too much to risk. I once ruined a car's manual transmission flat towing it. You'd be better off getting a car haulter or flat bed trailer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is no room for error that is for sure. I knew a guy with a dana 300 in a CJ that exploded the t-case flat towing for a short distance(under 150 miles). Must have done something wrong as I flat towed a dana 300 to Sturgis and back(over 900 miles both ways). Towed it to Red River, NM also. Another guy thought a BW 1350 was in neutral and it was in low range instead. Flat towed a short distance at 65. You can guess how fast the tranny was turning at 65 mph in low range. Tranny fluid was soo hot it melted the vent tube and popit valve. Years and years ago my grandpappy had a car come loose from a motor home.

But lots and lots of folks flat tow with motor homes. Anyone use the driveshaft quick disconects? Anyone know of another source that might have other products to flat tow the Xterra?

·
on line
1,234 Posts
i've heard nothing but negatives throughout the years when it comes to xterra auto tranny 4wd's and flat towing, like, it's bad enough that you're not even supposed to just lift the front two tires off the ground (aka: it's not even an issue with the front DS really) if you were gonna flat tow i'd say you must must MUST remove both Drive-shafts for a 4wd, or the rear for a 2wd.

again, not sure of the mechanics of why it's that way, something about not being able to go into true neutral with an automatic or some shenanigans. just wouldn't risk it. tranny's are expeeeeeensive.

ha. tranny's are expensive. :geek:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One solution but not sure on reliability or compatibility with off road use.

Remco's Drive Shaft Coupling
Prevents automatic transmission damage to your rear axle drive vehicle. When you tow your rear axle drive car, van or pickup, the drive shaft to the rear axle must be disconnected to prevent damage to the automatic transmission. This requires mechanical service under the car which is not convenient for RV towing. Remco's Drive Shaft Couplings was developed to provide a quick and easy means of disconnecting the transmission while sitting in the driver's seat. The coupling (mechanical clutch) is installed into the rear portion of the car's drive shaft, near the rear axle.

When disconnected the rear axle is free to turn without turning the drive shaft or transmission. The coupling has a control cable attached to it which extends to a location under the driver's seat. This control is pulled out to disengage for towing and pushed into engage for driving the vehicle.

No Transmission damage while towing
No speedometer miles while towing
Shift to drive or tow in seconds
Coupling made with heat treated alloy steel
Precision cut gear teeth
Lifetime sealed ball bearings
Fits most rear wheel drive cars, vans or pickups
Purchase with new shaft attached or we can modify your existing driveshaft
Over 50,000 units on the road in 14 years
Easy installation by a garage or an above average weekend mechanic call order the unit with a small deposit, remove your existing driveline and send it to us via UPS. We will modify your existing shaft and UPS it back to you prepaid you complete installation of the modified drive shaft and install control cable.

Another solution but no application for Nissan from this company. Anyone know of another company that makes these?

Remco's Lube Pump
When your vehicle with an automatic transmission is driven, the transmission is lubricated by an engine-driven transmission fluid pump. When the vehicle is towed, this engine-driven pump does not operate. Another means of lubrication is needed. REMCO'S Lube Pump was developed to provide a reliable lubrication system for the transmission while it is being towed. To tow your vehicle, connect the cable and turn on the switch on the monitor in the motorhome and you are ready to go.

1/8 HP self-priming diaphragm pump insures high volume lubrication.
Full volume selector valve directs oil for driving or towing.
Electronic monitor on motorhome dashboard safeguards the transmission
Easily transferred to any other approved vehicle.
One coiled electrical cable between the motorhome and car provides all the circuits for the pump, monitor, and towed vehicle tail lights.
All wiring and fluid connections for car and motorhome included.
Each make/model transmission tested for 20,000 miles before approved.
Easy installation by garage or weekend mechanic. Complete step-by-step installation instructions provided.
One year/10,000 miles limited warranty (warranty not applicable on transmissions with over 40,000 miles).

Don't See your application just give us a call

·
on line
16,147 Posts
disconnect the driveshafts...then u can flat tow anywhere...they are very easy to take out and put back....

nothing spins but the hubs and diffs if you disconnect everything....

buncha nancies....i could install both driveshafts in 15 minutes....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup. In my younger days that is what I'd do. But I'm old and fat and my friend is also. He will not go through that. If he can't push a button or work a lever inside the cab he won't do it. That is why I'm asking about the products I have listed. Might be they still have problems with a 4x4.

He is considering just starting the Xterra and leaving it running in neutral while he tows it down the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts